Re: [ksurf] Takoon : the end ?

  • swengelska
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
      Eddy,
      Yepp you´re right! As the market grows, lots of companies form, as
      the market tops and stabilizes, the smaller companies start to get
      into trouble. The companies utilising their R&D, distrubution
      channels(including distributers and dealers), creative budgets,
      production and supply chains along several product areas will always
      have better profit margins and therefore the ability to survive in
      tight times. I suppose there are quite a few creative, R&D and
      production/supply chain synergies for the windsurf companies like
      Naish and Cabrinha (NP).

      IMHO, and as a newby to this sport, there are some major hurdles for
      this sport to get really popular. Perhaps this is good. It´s
      expensive, potentially dangerous, and looks really hard to do. It´s
      not like mountain bikes, lots of people said MTB would never get big
      back in ´78, but MTBs can be ridden anywhere, are more comfy and
      safer than roadbikes. They offer "more convenience" to the consumer
      and this is what the mass market always wants.

      Does kitesurfing offer any convenience advantages over windsurfing?
      Ok you can get up and have fun in 10knts wind, and yea it´s a blast
      once you get going(i´m hooked), but the hassle of solo launching and
      bladders and a 3-5 kite quiver bla bla bla....And yes, the equipment
      is much easier to travel with, this is a big advantage for people
      that have the time and budget to go travelling to kite spots around
      the world, but I still need a good sized car for 3 kites, 2 boards
      and related stuff.

      Interesting subject....

      Tom Waldner

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Harper" <neil.harper@h...>
      wrote:
      > True but if you constantly invest in R&D as Burton have done in
      snowboarding
      > you can stay at the top, although having just bought a Wipika
      matrix I am
      > justifiably biased :-)

      In

      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com or
    • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
        In a message dated 6/2/2004 12:32:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        tom.waldner@... writes:

        > Does kitesurfing offer any convenience advantages over windsurfing?
        > Ok you can get up and have fun in 10knts wind, and yea it´s a blast
        > once you get going(i´m hooked), but the hassle of solo launching and
        > bladders and a 3-5 kite quiver bla bla bla....And yes, the equipment
        > is much easier to travel with, this is a big advantage for people
        > that have the time and budget to go travelling to kite spots around
        > the world, but I still need a good sized car for 3 kites, 2 boards
        > and related stuff.
        >
        > Interesting subject....
        >
        > Tom Waldner

        Yes windsurfing is expensive and equipment intensive too. BUT,
        I've seen a few guys go back to windsurfing for physical
        reasons and 'forgiveness' reasons. Because when
        you 'fall' on a windsurfer it's no big deal. You just grab the board-an arm'
        length from you, usually and re-waterstart in seconds. In large surf is
        different though, but that's not usually the case in 95% of windsurfing.

        When you lose control of a kite, IT crashes OR you get dragged through
        the water, gobbling, until you have the ability to re-zenith the Kite OR you
        have to
        relaunch from water (grrr) OR you have to watch out for others more OR you
        get dragged on land, rocks, objects, etc...
        Yeah, windsurfing is MUCH more forgiving but I'd still rather kite
        myself. It's about getting serious air lift that windsurfing can't come close
        to.

        Thanks for the interesting replys, so far.
        Scott