RE: [ksurf] Takoon : the end ?

  • Neil Harper
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
      True but if you constantly invest in R&D as Burton have done in snowboarding
      you can stay at the top, although having just bought a Wipika matrix I am
      justifiably biased :-)

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
        Eddy,
        Yepp you´re right! As the market grows, lots of companies form, as
        the market tops and stabilizes, the smaller companies start to get
        into trouble. The companies utilising their R&D, distrubution
        channels(including distributers and dealers), creative budgets,
        production and supply chains along several product areas will always
        have better profit margins and therefore the ability to survive in
        tight times. I suppose there are quite a few creative, R&D and
        production/supply chain synergies for the windsurf companies like
        Naish and Cabrinha (NP).

        IMHO, and as a newby to this sport, there are some major hurdles for
        this sport to get really popular. Perhaps this is good. It´s
        expensive, potentially dangerous, and looks really hard to do. It´s
        not like mountain bikes, lots of people said MTB would never get big
        back in ´78, but MTBs can be ridden anywhere, are more comfy and
        safer than roadbikes. They offer "more convenience" to the consumer
        and this is what the mass market always wants.

        Does kitesurfing offer any convenience advantages over windsurfing?
        Ok you can get up and have fun in 10knts wind, and yea it´s a blast
        once you get going(i´m hooked), but the hassle of solo launching and
        bladders and a 3-5 kite quiver bla bla bla....And yes, the equipment
        is much easier to travel with, this is a big advantage for people
        that have the time and budget to go travelling to kite spots around
        the world, but I still need a good sized car for 3 kites, 2 boards
        and related stuff.

        Interesting subject....

        Tom Waldner

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Harper" <neil.harper@h...>

        unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com or
      • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
          In a message dated 6/2/2004 12:32:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          tom.waldner@... writes:

          > Does kitesurfing offer any convenience advantages over windsurfing?
          > Ok you can get up and have fun in 10knts wind, and yea it´s a blast
          > once you get going(i´m hooked), but the hassle of solo launching and
          > bladders and a 3-5 kite quiver bla bla bla....And yes, the equipment
          > is much easier to travel with, this is a big advantage for people
          > that have the time and budget to go travelling to kite spots around
          > the world, but I still need a good sized car for 3 kites, 2 boards
          > and related stuff.
          >
          > Interesting subject....
          >
          > Tom Waldner

          Yes windsurfing is expensive and equipment intensive too. BUT,
          I've seen a few guys go back to windsurfing for physical
          reasons and 'forgiveness' reasons. Because when
          you 'fall' on a windsurfer it's no big deal. You just grab the board-an arm'
          length from you, usually and re-waterstart in seconds. In large surf is
          different though, but that's not usually the case in 95% of windsurfing.

          When you lose control of a kite, IT crashes OR you get dragged through
          the water, gobbling, until you have the ability to re-zenith the Kite OR you
          have to
          relaunch from water (grrr) OR you have to watch out for others more OR you
          get dragged on land, rocks, objects, etc...
          Yeah, windsurfing is MUCH more forgiving but I'd still rather kite
          myself. It's about getting serious air lift that windsurfing can't come close
          to.

          Thanks for the interesting replys, so far.
          Scott