Re: [ksurf] Takoon : the end ?

  • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
      Thank you for the French website information.
      I can not truly read french, but with the few key words I can decipher, it
      appears the rumours or difficultys i've heard from a local Takoon owner, and why
      his retailer is very upset about the company. Now, we know why. In bankrupty
      or receivership, with only $50,000 US in assests, it doesn't look good for the
      company. Too bad.
      Now, lets see who or whom, will be next? Good thing there are a lot to choose
      from for now.
      Do you still see the Sport Growing?
      Please give reasons, no matter how nonsensical or non-justifiable.

      Scott in L.A.

    • Eddy Cormon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
        Just like any market, the companies wil mature and only a few players
        will be left over.
        I guess windsurfsail manuf. have the most likelihood to survive as
        they can ship through their existing channels.
        Neil Pryde (Cabrinha and RRD ? is RRD also Neil Pryde ?)
        North
        Naish
        Gaastra

        And some low cost:

        I hope Wipika survives this just for the sake of the name. But like
        the Windsurfer - the original - doesn't count in sales after a few
        seasons.

        I expect more to disappear.

        Eddy
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:
        > Thank you for the French website information.
        > I can not truly read french, but with the few key words I can
        decipher, it
        > appears the rumours or difficultys i've heard from a local Takoon
        owner, and why
        > his retailer is very upset about the company. Now, we know why. In
        bankrupty
        > or receivership, with only $50,000 US in assests, it doesn't look
        good for the
        > company. Too bad.
        > Now, lets see who or whom, will be next? Good thing there are a lot
        to choose
        > from for now.
        > Do you still see the Sport Growing?
        > Please give reasons, no matter how nonsensical or non-justifiable.
        >
        > Scott in L.A.

      • Neil Harper
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
          True but if you constantly invest in R&D as Burton have done in snowboarding
          you can stay at the top, although having just bought a Wipika matrix I am
          justifiably biased :-)

          Just like any market, the companies wil mature and only a few players
          will be left over.
          I guess windsurfsail manuf. have the most likelihood to survive as
          they can ship through their existing channels.
          Neil Pryde (Cabrinha and RRD ? is RRD also Neil Pryde ?)
          North
          Naish
          Gaastra

          And some low cost:

          I hope Wipika survives this just for the sake of the name. But like
          the Windsurfer - the original - doesn't count in sales after a few
          seasons.

          I expect more to disappear.

          Eddy
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:
          > Thank you for the French website information.
          > I can not truly read french, but with the few key words I can
          decipher, it
          > appears the rumours or difficultys i've heard from a local Takoon
          owner, and why
          > his retailer is very upset about the company. Now, we know why. In
          bankrupty
          > or receivership, with only $50,000 US in assests, it doesn't look
          good for the
          > company. Too bad.
          > Now, lets see who or whom, will be next? Good thing there are a lot
          to choose
          > from for now.
          > Do you still see the Sport Growing?
          > Please give reasons, no matter how nonsensical or non-justifiable.
          >
          > Scott in L.A.

          http://www.KiteHIGH.com
          ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
          ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
          Em: support@...

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • swengelska
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
            Eddy,
            Yepp you´re right! As the market grows, lots of companies form, as
            the market tops and stabilizes, the smaller companies start to get
            into trouble. The companies utilising their R&D, distrubution
            channels(including distributers and dealers), creative budgets,
            production and supply chains along several product areas will always
            have better profit margins and therefore the ability to survive in
            tight times. I suppose there are quite a few creative, R&D and
            production/supply chain synergies for the windsurf companies like
            Naish and Cabrinha (NP).

            IMHO, and as a newby to this sport, there are some major hurdles for
            this sport to get really popular. Perhaps this is good. It´s
            expensive, potentially dangerous, and looks really hard to do. It´s
            not like mountain bikes, lots of people said MTB would never get big
            back in ´78, but MTBs can be ridden anywhere, are more comfy and
            safer than roadbikes. They offer "more convenience" to the consumer
            and this is what the mass market always wants.

            Does kitesurfing offer any convenience advantages over windsurfing?
            Ok you can get up and have fun in 10knts wind, and yea it´s a blast
            once you get going(i´m hooked), but the hassle of solo launching and
            bladders and a 3-5 kite quiver bla bla bla....And yes, the equipment
            is much easier to travel with, this is a big advantage for people
            that have the time and budget to go travelling to kite spots around
            the world, but I still need a good sized car for 3 kites, 2 boards
            and related stuff.

            Interesting subject....

            Tom Waldner

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Harper" <neil.harper@h...>

            unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com or
          • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
              In a message dated 6/2/2004 12:32:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              tom.waldner@... writes:

              > Does kitesurfing offer any convenience advantages over windsurfing?
              > Ok you can get up and have fun in 10knts wind, and yea it´s a blast
              > once you get going(i´m hooked), but the hassle of solo launching and
              > bladders and a 3-5 kite quiver bla bla bla....And yes, the equipment
              > is much easier to travel with, this is a big advantage for people
              > that have the time and budget to go travelling to kite spots around
              > the world, but I still need a good sized car for 3 kites, 2 boards
              > and related stuff.
              >
              > Interesting subject....
              >
              > Tom Waldner

              Yes windsurfing is expensive and equipment intensive too. BUT,
              I've seen a few guys go back to windsurfing for physical
              reasons and 'forgiveness' reasons. Because when
              you 'fall' on a windsurfer it's no big deal. You just grab the board-an arm'
              length from you, usually and re-waterstart in seconds. In large surf is
              different though, but that's not usually the case in 95% of windsurfing.

              When you lose control of a kite, IT crashes OR you get dragged through
              the water, gobbling, until you have the ability to re-zenith the Kite OR you
              have to
              relaunch from water (grrr) OR you have to watch out for others more OR you
              get dragged on land, rocks, objects, etc...
              Yeah, windsurfing is MUCH more forgiving but I'd still rather kite
              myself. It's about getting serious air lift that windsurfing can't come close
              to.

              Thanks for the interesting replys, so far.
              Scott