Re: Kiteboarders Rescue Swimmers

  • flkitesurfer
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2004
      This was just posted on yahoogroups.com/group/kitesurf-chicago/:

      "That's so great to hear about. Good for them!

      Summer 2002 - our first summer really kiteboarding. We were on
      somebody's private beach in the water, and they were trying to make us
      leave. I headed off to work, but they decided to stick around anyways.
      It's a good thing because Mike and Chris and Shanna rescued 3 kids who
      went too far past the sandbar. No one noticed but them. They would've
      been as good as dead. Afterwards the private beach owner said we were
      welcome anytime. They did a news broadcast on it - and featured
      kiteboarding in South Haven on the news with it. That year 10 people
      drowned in the lake between Grand Haven and Benton Harbor, because of
      the lack of lifeguards.......

      Kiteboarders are definitely public servants in so many ways. Really -
      Kiters are out there more than the average person. Eventhough it's
      not in the "job duty" I know that we pick up trash on the beach, help
      kids out, etc. Most of the time the good things go unnoticed.

      Anyways - it's so good to hear about that. Maybe the city of chicago
      will listen too -

      Have a good one everybody.

      Lindy
      www.sharkless.com"

      I bet that there are a LOT of stories like this out there. Guys, take
      credit where credit is due, tell us your story. Having able bodied
      kiteboarders in the area, particularly if there is a shortage of
      conventional lifeguards around can be a very good thing.