Kiteboarders Rescue Swimmers

  • Rick Iossi
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2004
      Paul just posted the following on the FKA list in Florida that I wanted to
      pass on:

      "Just a note to all.

      Two kitesurfers at Huguenot Park (in Jacksonville, FL) were responsible for
      the rescue of two swimmers who were caught in the strong outgoing current at
      the inlet. They were so far off shore that you could not see them from the
      beach and were headed out to sea. Both were pulled to safety by local riders
      Lorenzo and Brian.

      GOOD WORK GUYS! As the season heats up keep your eyes open for people in
      trouble and bring them back in if you can or point them out to the life
      guards. Its another way we can be perceived as an asset at our local
      beaches.

      Paul"

      It is refreshing to read about something like this. Making a positive
      impression and making a difference can involve nothing more than saying
      hello or answering questions of bystanders. Complaints can lead to serious
      problems for access. Positive feelings among the public can help a great
      deal to avoid restrictions. Rescuing people goes well beyond this of
      course, well done guys!

      Keeping your eyes open and helping out when needed is only natural at sea.
      I try to carry a 15 ft. length of 1/8 inch nylon line to help pull in other
      kiteboarders and a few windsurfers in the past. It takes up no real space
      and can make a difference when you need both hands free.

      Thanks for passing this along Paul!
    • John Villaluz
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2004
        Great Job Brian & Zo!

        Rick Iossi <flkitesurfer@...> wrote:Paul just posted the following on the FKA list in Florida that I wanted to
[...]

        http://www.KiteHIGH.com
        ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
        ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
        Em: support@...

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • flkitesurfer
        Message 3 of 3 , May 11, 2004
          This was just posted on yahoogroups.com/group/kitesurf-chicago/:

          "That's so great to hear about. Good for them!

          Summer 2002 - our first summer really kiteboarding. We were on
          somebody's private beach in the water, and they were trying to make us
          leave. I headed off to work, but they decided to stick around anyways.
          It's a good thing because Mike and Chris and Shanna rescued 3 kids who
          went too far past the sandbar. No one noticed but them. They would've
          been as good as dead. Afterwards the private beach owner said we were
          welcome anytime. They did a news broadcast on it - and featured
          kiteboarding in South Haven on the news with it. That year 10 people
          drowned in the lake between Grand Haven and Benton Harbor, because of
          the lack of lifeguards.......

          Kiteboarders are definitely public servants in so many ways. Really -
          Kiters are out there more than the average person. Eventhough it's
          not in the "job duty" I know that we pick up trash on the beach, help
          kids out, etc. Most of the time the good things go unnoticed.

          Anyways - it's so good to hear about that. Maybe the city of chicago
          will listen too -

          Have a good one everybody.

          Lindy
          www.sharkless.com"

          I bet that there are a LOT of stories like this out there. Guys, take
          credit where credit is due, tell us your story. Having able bodied
          kiteboarders in the area, particularly if there is a shortage of
          conventional lifeguards around can be a very good thing.