City Meeting on Kitesurfing in Fort Lauderdale
- City meeting went well , however there was concern of kiteboarders riding and
jumping too close to shore. One city official complained of witnessing kiters
riding through swimming areas...I, Chris Kjos, Local area coordinator in Fort
Lauderdale, was able to convince the Marine Advisory commitee that we can
self police ourselves and keep things safe...Every one must follow similar
guidelines on crowded city beaches everywhere...It is very easy to get banned and
very difficult to regain access...Be safe and follow these rules if you come to
FORT LAUDERDALE KITESURFING RULES
Every Kitesurfer must follow and these rules
and guidelines and help police them..
1. At South Fort Lauderdale Beach Launch Zone,
Kite set up area is between 4 red cones .
2.Launch and land safely, in designated watersports areas.
South Ft. Lauderdale Beach Launch Zone, across from Cafe Oasis.
Launch, ride, and land between designated buoys, cones, and or signs.
3.Kitesurfers must exit, and ride beyond Vessel
Exclusion Buoys as quickly as possible, and stay upwind.
4. Continuous riding near shoreline is not allowed.
5. Emergency entry in any beach area, other than launch area,
must be with kite in hand, as in self rescue technique.
Area coordinator will explain if necessary..
6. All kitesurfers will help each other to operate their craft safely,
and keep beaches, and swim areas safe.
7. Kitesurfing Violators will be asked to correct their violations, or
will answer to local authorities.(Beach Patrol or Police.)
8. Kitesurfing may be restricted on crowded weekends, and
severe weather conditions. Consult with area kitesurf coordinator.
9. Kite Leash is Mandatory.
Any questions, recommendations, and or violations should be addressed
or reported to Local Kitesurf Coordinator/Florida Kitesurfing Association,
Chris Kjos, Fort Lauderdale Non motorized Concessionaire.
954- 816 -0944..South Beach Watersports Launch Zone.
Here is a diagram of our Kitesurf Zone in Fort Lauderdale.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]