Do it yourself, add a gauge to your pump

  • wave9872
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2004
      The photos are here:
      http://briefcase.yahoo.com/xy752001
      or http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/xy752001
      Then go to the "Pressure_gauge" folder/album.

      Just In case you do not own one of those 2004 pumps or the NSI pump
      that come with a gauge I wanted to share some info about doing it
      yourself. It's not that hard and you'll probably get a better result.

      The following is just a suggestion and it worked very well for me.
      Except for the gauge all the other parts are dirt cheap. One tip:
      You'll spend most of the time actually finding and buying the parts.
      Hook up with your kite buddies and get the stuff together!

      The gauge:
      I use a WIKA gauge and purchased it here:
      http://www.gaugestore.com/gaugestore/
      Navigate to "Low Pressure Gauges" -> "Back Mount"
      2.5 inches diameter, 0-10 psi, zero point adjustable, stock no#
      33043, $27.69 The accuracy is overkill but beeing able to adjust the
      zero point is handy because it does drift. It's obviously not trivial
      to make low pressure gauges. Sooner or later you'll make the mistake
      of attaching the hose to the deflate connector of the pump: So far my
      manometer has survived but this can change the zero point...

      Another option:
      http://www.gaugestore.com/gaugestore/
      Navigate to "Commercial Gauges" -> "Back Mount"
      2 inches diameter, 0-15psi, stock no# 31285, $7.92
      At gaugestore.com: $8.95 shipping, $25.- order minimum
      I'm not affiliated with that store. They just had the stuff I
      needed...

      I got most other parts at a hardware store (ACE in the US)
      - Either a regular 3/4 inch T-shaped water pipe connector and a small
      piece of pipe or a T-shaped connector with a reduced diameter on one
      side (1/2 inch), see picture "2_all_parts.jpg"
      - brass bushing (quarter inch female NPT to half inch male)
      - Teflon tape
      - 3 inch piece of garden hose
      - PVC cement
      - maybe 5 minute epoxy
      - one or two cable ties

      With my Naish pump the water pipe connector fitted tightly to the
      part of the pump so I could simply use PVC cement which cures in
      minutes.
      The connection between the threading adapter and the water pipe
      connector was kind of loose so I used 5 minute epoxy. If you use some
      tape the epoxy will stay in place, see pic "3_bushing_with_tape.jpg"

      Next I attached the short piece of garden hose tube to the water pipe
      connector. It prevents kinking of the pump hose. I simply drilled a
      hole through both parts and inserted a thin nail to secure it
      (clipped to the right length), see "4_nail.jpg".

      Before you screw on the gauge add some teflon tape to the threading.
      You may need to adjust the amount so the gauge aligns with the pump.
      Add the hose of the pump and secure it with the cable tie.
      Done!

      Optional:
      I inserted a brass rod because those small plastic parts that lock
      into the pump break off easily, see "5_brass_rod.jpg".

      Personally I think it's great to have a gauge, especially for the big
      kite sizes. It's easier and faster than pinging around on your kite
      or counting over 100 strokes on a 20. It's also quite difficult to
      share information on the internet if people say they pump up their
      kite "rock hard".
      Strange, anybody who drives a car checks the tire pressure with a
      gauge. Most hobby cyclists do the same. For some reason only kiters
      avoid gauges. I don't get it.

      And in case your interested: On my X3s I use about 8 psi for the
      struts. On the 20 I apply something like 6.5 psi to the leading edge,
      increasing with decreasing size to about 8 psi for the leading edge
      of the 8 sqm kite. This is not based on any info from Naish but on
      some posts of this forum plus my own experience.