Re: [ksurf] Travelling with kiteboard gear

  • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17, 2004
      >In a message dated 4/17/2004 georgeiw@... writes:
      >I took my 120 board and drilled 8 holes through it. I then took my 170
      board and >cut it in half. I bolt the two halves together using the small board
      and they all fit in >a big duffle. They are all made of marine plywood 9mm. So
      a little heavy but fine >in light wind for my 230 lbs.
      >George
      Interesting - a 'portable travel board' concept.
      I guess your plywood boards were inexpensive to make or you would not have
      cut them up, because you can make other 1 piece boards, so easily, to replace
      them.
      Of course, I wouldn't do that to my manufactured boards.
      I wonder if a 'portable travel board' should be made for the future by board
      makers?

      That might make it easier to pack our boards in real Golf Bags, since they
      have
      to be smaller than 145cm.
      (I measured Golf bags before I decided to purchase an NSI fully padded
      boardbag
      that could accomodate my 151cm board, which did well in 15- 35mph
      winds, I weigh 190lbs)
      But now that short, fatter boards have more wind-range, we
      can seriously look for 140cm boards or less that are wide enough to
      accomodate lighter winds, yet short enough to be smooth in higher winds.

      So find what gives the best 'wind range' and travel with it, that
      fits IN your 'golf' bags.Don't make them to heavy either (under 70-75lbs) each
      Better to have 2 bags at 65lbs each,
      then 2 with one at 100lbs and the other at 25lbs.
      Good Luck.
      Scott