Re: 5th line attached to leading edge?

  • flkiter
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 15 9:31 AM
      Chris,
      You should try the 5th line setup sometime, you'll be amazed at how
      simple and non-cumbersome it is. For one, there is no significant
      drag because A) you use a thin, lightweight piece of spectra (since
      ther is never more that 100 lbs of force on this line) and... B) the
      5th line that I use stops at the top of my sheeting strap so you
      don't even notice it being there. It never tangles during deployment,
      unlike the front line system that I used to use. I simply clip my
      leash to the grab ring above the sheeting strap. Very clean and
      simple. You never have to swim towards your kite and it relaunches in
      seconds. It is especially helpful in waves since it lays the kite on
      its back and allows the wave to simply pass over with no force.
      You can see an illustration of the system that I use at:
      http://www.usakite.com/5thline.htm
      Check it out,
      Greg Kuklinski
      www.usakite.com

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...>
      wrote:
      > There are two problems with any 5th line system. One is that any
      > kite line causes significant drag and reduced performance. The
      > second is that any extra line adds complexity and can tangle.
      >
      > In snow kiting you need either a 5th line or a Cabrinha recon
      system
      > since a normal relaunch may not be possible.
      >
      > However, on the water, the normal relaunch technique works fine. I
      > relaunch my high aspect 18 meter kite (X3) reliably. It takes a bit
      > of practise to learn, but it's far easier than flying with a 5th
      > line all the time.
      >
      > If the leading edge bladder is pumped up hard, then almost any
      > modern inflatable kite is relaunchable. Just practise.
      >
      > :-)
      > Chris Glazier
      >

      > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Iain Wood <d.i.wood@n...> wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I heard of a system for use with larger leis where a 5th line is
      > > attached to the leading edge. This seems to make sense in that if
      > > things go wrong and you release all but the 5th line your kite
      > will end
      > > up on its back with no lift and all ready to relaunch.
      > >
      > > Anyone have any experience of this, or any thoughts on
      > retrofitting it
      > > to a 4 line lei?
      > >
      > > I have had a look through the archives, cos I know there was some
      > > discussion on 5th lines. All I came up with was a system where
      the
      > 5th
      > > line is attached to the trailing edge, not the leading edge.
      > >
      > > Iain
    • mobilekiteshop.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 15 9:55 AM
        Correct me if Im wrong but basically the fifth line splits and attaches to
        two connection points on the leading edge of the kite at the front of the
        struts left and right of centre strut. When the kite crashes and ends up
        face down, holding onto this fifth line allows the kite to go over onto its
        back without you having to swim towards it and you then swim to the side and
        launch the kite in the normal way. I dont think it will magically relaunch
        the kite and you still need a good relaunch technique.

        Steve
        steve@... <mailto:steve@...>
        Ph: 00 353 87-7993612
      • kennywek@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 15 11:09 AM
          Hi Chris,

          Thank you for your comments about water re-launches without a 5th line.
          I'm new to the sport and I would very much like to avoid using a 5th line, if
          possible. However, I expect to be doing a lot of water re-launches as soon as
          the water warms up and I don't want to be struggling unnecessarily in deep
          water with launches, if I can avoid it. Can you please describe the easiest way
          to get a kite on its back, without a 5th line, so the kite can be positioned
          for a water re-launch when it is face down in the water, down wind from the
          rider, with the inside of the kite toward the rider.

          Thank you,

          Bill Kenny
          kennywek@...

        • Chris Glazier
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 15 5:51 PM
            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, kennywek@a... wrote:
            > ..Can you please describe the easiest way
            > to get a kite on its back, without a 5th line, so the kite can be
            positioned
            > for a water re-launch when it is face down in the water

            Bill
            Go to the Files area of this group and look for Relunching tips.

            I collected these helpful posts about relaunching a couple of years
            ago. The technique hasn't changed.

            There are several relaunch setups like Cabrinha recon, Windwing
            system, Wipika reverse launch bridle and 5th line that make it
            easier to relaunch. I believe however that a skilled rider can
            usually relaunch just as quickly using the normal techniques.

            :-)
            Chris Glazier
          • Chris Glazier
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 15 6:43 PM
              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "flkiter" <gregk1@g...> wrote:

              > You can see an illustration of the system that I use at:
              > http://www.usakite.com/5thline.htm
              > Greg Kuklinski

              Greg
              Thanks for posting your link. Next snow kiting season I will rig up
              my line the way you show. It looks clean.

              But around here when the season changes from snow to water kiting,
              we all take our 5th lines off our kites.

              :-)
              Chris Glazier
            • kennywek@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 16 6:36 AM
                In a message dated 4/15/2004 7:54:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
                cglazier@... writes:
                Chris,

                Thanks very much for the advice on water re-launching. I expect that I
                will need it for my first season at kiteboarding. Part of the attraction to this
                sport is the generous assistance the experienced guys provide to those who
                are trying to learn it.

                Bill

              • Scott Trepod
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 16 11:09 AM
                  I've been offline beating viruses and worms to death on my system, so I
                  missed the beginning (and middle) of this topic.

                  I've been flying with a leading edge 5th line system for about 6 months
                  now; water and snow/ice. It has a lot of advantages over the trailing
                  edge 5th line; mainly that it totally kills the power when you go to the
                  leash, or even pull in the 5th line a little bit. As I approach the
                  beach, I just give the line a gentle tug and hold it and the decreased
                  angle of attack makes the kite just flutter down gently (no bursting
                  bladder) straight downwind. As long as you keep the 5th line wound a
                  couple of times ahead of the flying lines, the kite will just sit. In
                  fact, you can swim back upwind to your board with the kite leash
                  attached to your harness and the bar some distance up the lines (8
                  feet?). The pull is as hard as it is when you make the walk of shame
                  back upwind. This ability to self launch and land and the incredible
                  safety of being able to drop the bar and still relaunch easily is the
                  cat's pajamas.

                  No one has touched on the exact rigging of the stopper, which to the
                  inventor is the secret. He was very worried that an amateur wouldn't be
                  able to rig it correctly, but it's not that hard. Here is the posting I
                  made on Kite Forum a couple weeks ago...

                  You guys sure can make the simplest thing more difficult then it needs
                  to be.

                  Spread your arms. That's a good distance to space the cls straps on the
                  leading edge. Or half that, because it doesn't make any difference
                  regardless of what size kite, but you probably won't be putting this on
                  something less then 12m, because in enough wind for a 9m, you don't need
                  it (although the depower would sure come in handy in landing).

                  Open the zipper/velcro and slide the leading edge over the bottom arm of
                  your sewing machine. If your smart and/or chicken, I'd take the bladder
                  out first. I did the Naish 14m with the bladder out and the 20m Cabrinha
                  with it in, but you better make sure every minute that you're not sewing
                  through it. Sew about 10" of webbing around the leading edge sleeve,
                  with a loop near the middle and pretty near centered right on the
                  front-most part of the leading edge to tie the bridal line to.

                  Use Q-line or a spare flying line to make a bridle between the two
                  straps and put a nice pigtail in the middle. Don't ask how big the
                  triangle formed needs to be; it doesn't matter either.

                  Then run a larks head off a Q-line/flying line to the bridle, but leave
                  some extra for adjustments. You can always trim it back later. Now run
                  it down to about 5 meters from the bar, tie into another line that is
                  hand friendly (I use 3/16" soft leader line) and put a ball stopper at
                  the knot. Bring the leader line down through somewhere in your trim
                  strap where the line will slide but the ball won't go through. Add a
                  ring if you need to.

                  Ok, now the 'tricky part'. Not a big deal. Go out some morning with NO
                  WIND, blow up the kite, rig your lines and set the kite on the ground
                  with the leading edge facing the bar, the tips up straight in the air,
                  the bar slid up the cls line to the stopper ball, and the cls line tight.

                  Adjust the point where you tie the cls line to the bridle until the semi
                  slack flying lines just hold the kite from blowing over backwards, but
                  not too tight so they pull the tips toward the bar. You just want it to
                  sit stable upside down. The wind is going to load this up a bit so
                  you'll have to adjust it again in some breeze, so...

                  Go have breakfast and wait for the wind to pick up to about 6-10 mph,
                  then go out, rerig and check how it behaves with a little dynamic
                  shackle, or whatever, off to your harness when it's your leash) Make
                  sure the bar is slid all the way to the ball stopper. The flying lines
                  will form a catenary curve from the ground up to the tips of the kite,
                  and everything needs to be adjusted until they just hold the tips
                  straight up.

                  In a little more wind, make sure that the kite doesn't float upside down
                  off the ground; if it does, lengthen the bridal or the top flying line
                  portion of the cls line to effectively pull the tips of the kite toward
                  the bar, decreasing the angle of attack of the upside down kite with
                  respect to the ground and making it stay on the ground just gently.

                  I put this system on my kites when I first saw the KCS patent in France
                  and it is easily the coolest thing for a solo sailor you could come up
                  with. Genius. After sewing the straps, it takes about 15 minutes to
                  build the system and rig it. The best part is the safety it lends to
                  launching and landing; it is so depowered you can swim upwind dragging
                  the kite and lines. Or wind your lines when you get close (two line
                  lengths please) to shore. I still use a helper if there are people
                  around to launch, but landing I don't bother in case the wrong person
                  grabs it (untrained). I don't sail with other kiters because there
                  aren't any (I don't sail alone, just no kiters; I'm actively
                  recruiting...).

                  Wipika is brilliant for snatching this up; they're going to be selling a
                  lot of kites once sailors on the beach start seeing this one in action.

                  The original patent for the KCS system (KCS - Kite control system,
                  Wipika's CLS system) had a double fairlead on the bar for the chicken
                  loop on one side of the bar and the cls line on the other. I tried this
                  for about a month, then moved it up to the trim adjustment strap for
                  safety; it gets the pulled in line away from you in the water when you
                  have to relaunch.

                  Also landing, I never throw the bar; just come in and drop back into the
                  water, then start pulling the leash slightly. The angle of attack of the
                  kite goes negative and just decends gently to the sand, where you can
                  then let it go all the way to the cls leash. This puts it down soft as a
                  feather, then kills the power.

                  Try it on your big kite, and don't get hung up on the extra line; you'll
                  never notice it.

                  Scott
                  CT, USA

                • loco4olas
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 21 3:01 AM
                    Shit Scott-thanks for all that effort-extremely helpful and descriptive
                    post.

> [...]
                    > lot of kites once sailors on the beach start seeing this one in action.
                    >
                    > The original patent for the KCS system (KCS - Kite control system,
                    > Wipika's CLS system) had a double fairlead on the bar for the chicken
                    > loop on one side of the bar and the cls line on the other. I tried this
                    > for about a month, then moved it up to the trim adjustment strap for
                    > safety; it gets the pulled in line away from you in the water when you
                    > have to relaunch.
                    >
                    > Also landing, I never throw the bar; just come in and drop back into the
                    > water, then start pulling the leash slightly. The angle of attack of the
                    > kite goes negative and just decends gently to the sand, where you can
                    > then let it go all the way to the cls leash. This puts it down soft as a
                    > feather, then kills the power.
                    >
                    > Try it on your big kite, and don't get hung up on the extra line; you'll

                  • Iain Wood
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 21 3:11 AM
                      On 21 Apr 2004, at 11:01, loco4olas wrote:

                      > Shit Scott-thanks for all that effort-extremely helpful and descriptive
                      > post.

                      Yes my thanks too, too all who responded to my q. Still dont know
                      whether it's gonna get retrofitted to the 18m tho....

                      Iain