Re: [ksurf] Kiting BANNED at Bondi

  • ozkite
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2004
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Steve McCormack" <sydney@k...>
      wrote:

      > Waverly Council owns the beach. It employs Lifegaurds year round to

      I think you'll find that the Crown (ie the Australian government)
      "owns" the beach.

      > patrol the beach, and it has Rangers that back them up. If a kiter
      > refuses to obey either, then the police will be there in minutes,
      > large fines will be inflicted and kite gear will be confiscated,
      > permanently.

      From what I remember with the Coogee stunt kite flying ban, the police
      couldn't do anything. They did get called on a few occasions and told
      the council ranger there was nothing they could do, it's a council
      bylaw not a law the police can enforce. Obviously I'm no lawer but I
      also wonder if local council ranger have any legal right to take
      property in cases like this. I'd very much doubt it, they certainly
      couldn't take it permenantly that would be theft plain and simple.

      Chris