RE: [ksurf] Transition from Snow to water

  • Paul Matousek
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2004
      I'm a newbie to snowkiting and have found the 5th line invaluable to
      self-launching. So far I've tried two ways of installing one.

      1) Bridle to the outside struts (my Airush Trio 12M has sewn in loops).
      I just tied a fig 8 loop slightly off centre and attached some 150 lb
      kite line to a short leader line on the bar. Works great.

      2) No bridle just a line to only one strut. This is simpler and works
      with stronger winds and does not mess up the kite as much when it stalls
      and floats downward. However, in really light wind the bridle system
      seems to be easier to re-launch as both struts can be pulled to lift the
      kite off of the snow.

      Ideally, I'd like to mod the kite so no 5th is required. Alex Petersen
      has a great design which I saw at this weekend's KiteFreeze in Minnesota
      but it involves quite a mod to the kite and would probably void any
      warranty.
      I'll post some details when I find the link.

      Paul Matousek
      www.windplay.ca

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2004
        Just thought I'd post this for all you snowkiters:

        The Results are as Follows:

        KiteSkiing
        (1) Alex Peterson, Team USSNOWKITE, Wipika
        (2) Joe Levins, Team USSNOWKITE, Slingshot
        (3) Vojta Cervenka, Naish

        Kitesnowboarding
        (1) Aaron Sales, Team USSNOWKITE, Windwing
        (2) Mika, Airrush
        (3) Mike Brockwell, Slingshot

        Womens:
        (1) Renee Hanks, Team USSNOWKITE, Wipika

        Juniors:
        (1)Weston Will-14, Slingshot
        (1)Hunter Wells-11, Slingshot
        (1) Jeremy Jones-8, Ozone