Re: [ksurf] Kiting BANNED at Bondi

  • Steve McCormack
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1 3:20 AM
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "MrBonk" <mrbonk@m...> wrote:
      > Hi Steve,
      > This may sound like a silly question, but banned by
      who? Who
      > is going to enforce/collect the fine? The only reason I ask is
      because the
      > local council here have absolved themselves of ownership of
      anything to do
      > with the beach when we asked them about getting some of the rubbish
      in the
      > water cleaned up. Is it different down there? Do your council lay
      claim to
      > the beach etc?
      >
      > Brenton
      > (In Sunny Hervey Bay, QLD)

      Hi Brenton

      Waverly Council owns the beach. It employs Lifegaurds year round to
      patrol the beach, and it has Rangers that back them up. If a kiter
      refuses to obey either, then the police will be there in minutes,
      large fines will be inflicted and kite gear will be confiscated,
      permanently.
      I fully support these actions, if any kiter breaks the ban.
      If the ban is lifted, strict conditions will apply.
      Regards
      Steve McCormack
      Assistant Secretary
      AKSA.com.au
      http://www.aksa.com.au
    • ozkite
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4 2:07 PM
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Steve McCormack" <sydney@k...>
        wrote:

        > Waverly Council owns the beach. It employs Lifegaurds year round to

        I think you'll find that the Crown (ie the Australian government)
        "owns" the beach.

        > patrol the beach, and it has Rangers that back them up. If a kiter
        > refuses to obey either, then the police will be there in minutes,
        > large fines will be inflicted and kite gear will be confiscated,
        > permanently.

        From what I remember with the Coogee stunt kite flying ban, the police
        couldn't do anything. They did get called on a few occasions and told
        the council ranger there was nothing they could do, it's a council
        bylaw not a law the police can enforce. Obviously I'm no lawer but I
        also wonder if local council ranger have any legal right to take
        property in cases like this. I'd very much doubt it, they certainly
        couldn't take it permenantly that would be theft plain and simple.

        Chris