Re: [ksurf] Kiting BANNED at Bondi

  • loco4olas
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
      Mr. Bonk lives!

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "MrBonk" <mrbonk@...>
      To: <kitesurf@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 8:17 PM
      Subject: Re: [ksurf] Kiting BANNED at Bondi

      > Hi Steve,
      > This may sound like a silly question, but banned by who?
      Who
      > is going to enforce/collect the fine? The only reason I ask is because
      the
      > local council here have absolved themselves of ownership of anything to do
      > with the beach when we asked them about getting some of the rubbish in the
      > water cleaned up. Is it different down there? Do your council lay claim
      > the beach etc?
      >
      > Brenton
      > (In Sunny Hervey Bay, QLD)

    • Steve McCormack
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "MrBonk" <mrbonk@m...> wrote:
        > Hi Steve,
        > This may sound like a silly question, but banned by
        who? Who
        > is going to enforce/collect the fine? The only reason I ask is
        because the
        > local council here have absolved themselves of ownership of
        anything to do
        > with the beach when we asked them about getting some of the rubbish
        in the
        > water cleaned up. Is it different down there? Do your council lay
        claim to
        > the beach etc?
        >
        > Brenton
        > (In Sunny Hervey Bay, QLD)

        Hi Brenton

        Waverly Council owns the beach. It employs Lifegaurds year round to
        patrol the beach, and it has Rangers that back them up. If a kiter
        refuses to obey either, then the police will be there in minutes,
        large fines will be inflicted and kite gear will be confiscated,
        permanently.
        I fully support these actions, if any kiter breaks the ban.
        If the ban is lifted, strict conditions will apply.
        Regards
        Steve McCormack
        Assistant Secretary
        AKSA.com.au
        http://www.aksa.com.au
      • ozkite
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2004
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Steve McCormack" <sydney@k...>
          wrote:

          > Waverly Council owns the beach. It employs Lifegaurds year round to

          I think you'll find that the Crown (ie the Australian government)
          "owns" the beach.

          > patrol the beach, and it has Rangers that back them up. If a kiter
          > refuses to obey either, then the police will be there in minutes,
          > large fines will be inflicted and kite gear will be confiscated,
          > permanently.

          From what I remember with the Coogee stunt kite flying ban, the police
          couldn't do anything. They did get called on a few occasions and told
          the council ranger there was nothing they could do, it's a council
          bylaw not a law the police can enforce. Obviously I'm no lawer but I
          also wonder if local council ranger have any legal right to take
          property in cases like this. I'd very much doubt it, they certainly
          couldn't take it permenantly that would be theft plain and simple.

          Chris