Re: [ksurf] Kiting BANNED at Bondi

  • MrBonk
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hi Steve,
      This may sound like a silly question, but banned by who? Who
      is going to enforce/collect the fine? The only reason I ask is because the
      local council here have absolved themselves of ownership of anything to do
      with the beach when we asked them about getting some of the rubbish in the
      water cleaned up. Is it different down there? Do your council lay claim to
      the beach etc?

      Brenton
      (In Sunny Hervey Bay, QLD)

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
        Mr. Bonk lives!

        > This may sound like a silly question, but banned by who?
        Who
        > is going to enforce/collect the fine? The only reason I ask is because
        the
        > local council here have absolved themselves of ownership of anything to do
        > with the beach when we asked them about getting some of the rubbish in the
        > water cleaned up. Is it different down there? Do your council lay claim
        > the beach etc?
        >
        > Brenton
        > (In Sunny Hervey Bay, QLD)

      • Steve McCormack
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "MrBonk" <mrbonk@m...> wrote:
          > Hi Steve,
          > This may sound like a silly question, but banned by
          who? Who
          > is going to enforce/collect the fine? The only reason I ask is
          because the
          > local council here have absolved themselves of ownership of
          anything to do
          > with the beach when we asked them about getting some of the rubbish
          in the
          > water cleaned up. Is it different down there? Do your council lay
          claim to
          > the beach etc?
          >
          > Brenton
          > (In Sunny Hervey Bay, QLD)

          Hi Brenton

          Waverly Council owns the beach. It employs Lifegaurds year round to
          patrol the beach, and it has Rangers that back them up. If a kiter
          refuses to obey either, then the police will be there in minutes,
          large fines will be inflicted and kite gear will be confiscated,
          permanently.
          I fully support these actions, if any kiter breaks the ban.
          If the ban is lifted, strict conditions will apply.
          Regards
          Steve McCormack
          Assistant Secretary
          AKSA.com.au
          http://www.aksa.com.au
        • ozkite
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2004
            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Steve McCormack" <sydney@k...>
            wrote:

            > Waverly Council owns the beach. It employs Lifegaurds year round to

            I think you'll find that the Crown (ie the Australian government)
            "owns" the beach.

            > patrol the beach, and it has Rangers that back them up. If a kiter
            > refuses to obey either, then the police will be there in minutes,
            > large fines will be inflicted and kite gear will be confiscated,
            > permanently.

            From what I remember with the Coogee stunt kite flying ban, the police
            couldn't do anything. They did get called on a few occasions and told
            the council ranger there was nothing they could do, it's a council
            bylaw not a law the police can enforce. Obviously I'm no lawer but I
            also wonder if local council ranger have any legal right to take
            property in cases like this. I'd very much doubt it, they certainly
            couldn't take it permenantly that would be theft plain and simple.

            Chris