Re: [ksurf] Kiting BANNED at Bondi

  • MrBonk
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hi Steve,
      This may sound like a silly question, but banned by who? Who
      is going to enforce/collect the fine? The only reason I ask is because the
      local council here have absolved themselves of ownership of anything to do
      with the beach when we asked them about getting some of the rubbish in the
      water cleaned up. Is it different down there? Do your council lay claim to
      the beach etc?

      Brenton
      (In Sunny Hervey Bay, QLD)

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
        Sounds like Manly.....

        > Kiting has been banned as of last Wednesday, at Bondi Beach. Please do not
        go out there, if you do your gear will be confiscated and you will be fined
        several hundred dollars, more if you ignore the Lifeguards.

        > On behalf of AKSA and the responsible kiters who are members of AKSA and
        who wear leashes, that would like to be able to kite there, I am in the
        process of having talks with the Waverly Council.

        > Someone is out there now, this person ignored the warning of the
        Lifeguards, and is in serious trouble when he comes in.
        > Please do not kite there while I am negotiating with council to regain
        access.
        > This ban represents the first I know of in Oz and is a precedent that
        should concern all kiters.

        > The trouble at Bondi was primarily caused a by a few people, all of whom
        have ignored the absolute sanctity "no surfcraft with in the flagged areas"
        rule, have abused lifeguards, even threatened lifeguards, cut off surfers to
        the point of fist fights, crashed kites on people on the beach and walkways,
        etc.
        > These people are renowned for "Look at me" stupid behaviour, like jumping
        too close to other water users, the shore, other kiters, solid obstacles,
        boats, etc. This death wish, kooky selfish behaviour must stop, please voice
        your disgust to people who act this way, demand they stop it at your beach,
        or risk losing access!

        > Please pass this info on to everyone you know especially tourists.
        >
        > If I am successful, in removing the ban strict conditions will apply,
        including being a member of AKSA, wearing a kite depowering leash (not
        suicide), reporting to the lifeguards every time, obeying the lifeguards at
        all times, and staying well clear of all other water users and the flags.

        > Regards
        > Steve McCormack
        > Assistant Secretary
        > AKSA.com.au
        > http://www.aksa.com.au

        > http://www.KiteHIGH.com
        > ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
        > ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
        > Em: support@...

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • loco4olas
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
          Mr. Bonk lives!

          > This may sound like a silly question, but banned by who?
          Who
          > is going to enforce/collect the fine? The only reason I ask is because
          the
          > local council here have absolved themselves of ownership of anything to do
          > with the beach when we asked them about getting some of the rubbish in the
          > water cleaned up. Is it different down there? Do your council lay claim
          > the beach etc?
          >
          > Brenton
          > (In Sunny Hervey Bay, QLD)

        • Steve McCormack
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "MrBonk" <mrbonk@m...> wrote:
            > Hi Steve,
            > This may sound like a silly question, but banned by
            who? Who
            > is going to enforce/collect the fine? The only reason I ask is
            because the
            > local council here have absolved themselves of ownership of
            anything to do
            > with the beach when we asked them about getting some of the rubbish
            in the
            > water cleaned up. Is it different down there? Do your council lay
            claim to
            > the beach etc?
            >
            > Brenton
            > (In Sunny Hervey Bay, QLD)

            Hi Brenton

            Waverly Council owns the beach. It employs Lifegaurds year round to
            patrol the beach, and it has Rangers that back them up. If a kiter
            refuses to obey either, then the police will be there in minutes,
            large fines will be inflicted and kite gear will be confiscated,
            permanently.
            I fully support these actions, if any kiter breaks the ban.
            If the ban is lifted, strict conditions will apply.
            Regards
            Steve McCormack
            Assistant Secretary
            AKSA.com.au
            http://www.aksa.com.au
          • ozkite
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2004
              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Steve McCormack" <sydney@k...>
              wrote:

              > Waverly Council owns the beach. It employs Lifegaurds year round to

              I think you'll find that the Crown (ie the Australian government)
              "owns" the beach.

              > patrol the beach, and it has Rangers that back them up. If a kiter
              > refuses to obey either, then the police will be there in minutes,
              > large fines will be inflicted and kite gear will be confiscated,
              > permanently.

              From what I remember with the Coogee stunt kite flying ban, the police
              couldn't do anything. They did get called on a few occasions and told
              the council ranger there was nothing they could do, it's a council
              bylaw not a law the police can enforce. Obviously I'm no lawer but I
              also wonder if local council ranger have any legal right to take
              property in cases like this. I'd very much doubt it, they certainly
              couldn't take it permenantly that would be theft plain and simple.

              Chris