[ksurf] Re: Kite Prangs!! and a little advice!

  • David Low
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 1998
      thanks for the advice! but, really now, has anyone ever been killed while
      kitesurfing?
      dave

      Neil Taylor wrote:

      > Having broken a leg while kite-flying 7 years ago I sympathise with
      > Greg!! If you are going to mess around a bit while you're not actually
      > kite-surfing please heed the following advice!!
      >
      > NEVER jump on grass or any hard surface, sand is OK if you are careful
      > and have plenty of room. Try and land on your feet and bottom!! Keep
      > your weight BACK and feet forwards. You 'could' twist an ankle but, hey,
      > you could do that crossing the road!
      >
      > NEVER tie yourself to a solid object and launch a large kite. People
      > have been KILLED doing this! I have a friend who was in traction for
      > months and has lost the complete use of his ankle at age 25. That's
      > pretty tough on a piano-teacher!
      >
      > NEVER use a harness (on dry land at least) without a deadman release.
      > People have been KILLED doing this too! If you use hand grips or simple
      > padded wrist straps you can easily let go. Being dragged on the beach is
      > quite safe as long as you are in control! Don't take unnecessary risks.
      >
      > The current record (maybe unofficial) for kite-jumping in France is 87m
      > along a beach!!!! Just imagine what you can do off the face of a wave!!!
      >
      > Here's to a SAFE adrenalin rush!!
      >
      > Neil Taylor
      > Know someone who deserves flowers? At proflowers.com, it's only $29.95
      >
      > plus S & H ($5.95 for most domestic locations) for one dozen roses and
      >
      > shipped direct from the grower via Fedex Priority Overnight.
      >
      > http://www.proflowers.com/eg.cfm
      >
      > Subscribe, unsubscribe, opt for a daily digest, or start a new e-group
      > at http://www.eGroups.com -- Free Web-based e-mail groups.

    • Dave Culp
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 1998
        >thanks for the advice! but, really now, has anyone ever been killed while
        >kitesurfing?

        I know of no life-threatening injuries or deaths from kitesurfing (though
        what do I know?). I do know of *many* very serious injuries and a number
        of deaths incurred while kite jumping on land. Usually this sort of
        injury involves metal pins in leg and ankle bones, permanent limps, etc.
        Sometimes (as with a very famous kite pioneer), permanent nerve damage to
        hips or spine.

        Even worse, kite "flying" where complete idiots tie themselves *into* the
        flying lines, some distance up the line. Guaranteed: Darwinian "natural
        selection" in action. Kite jumping, over land, is not far behind, IMO...

        --
        Dave Culp Speedsailing dave@... http://www.dcss.org/speedsl
        Kite powered boats, high speed sailing, proas and more. Check it out!

      • Jack Brutschin
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 1998
          Well, here is the first person who was almost killed. The safety release was blokking and I was hooked in a harnas. The kite kept on pulling, while I flew the kite on too long lines. Fortunately I was lucky, although it happened two times within 10 minutes.

          It confinced me that the quickrelease is VITAL!!

          Please let it be an advise to everybody.

          -----
          See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/kitesurf/?start=685
        • Christian Klein
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 1998
            I would like to add a few comments on the French kite-jumper and his
            official record. If I dare talking about it, it is because I have spent
            hours discussing with Pierre Cardineau and trying his kites.
            (We even discussed the fact of me talking about his kite-jumping on this
            newsgroup).

            More than a crazy recordman, he is a very careful person. But it is
            difficult for me to prove this to you. You certainly will never see him
            with a harness or without tough walking shoes if there is a bit of wind.
            The other important point are the kites Pierre is manufacturing and
            selling which are really designed for jumping. They are named Mandibules
            (=mandibles as you have guessed). They have an autostable profile
            (though different from the one of the Peel) and an arch-bridle system.
            They also have lots of profiles : 1 every 10 cm for the
            top-of-the-range. Size for jumping ranges from 6 to 8 m2.
            It is almost impossible to have them close and turn into a falling ball
            of ripstop. They would rather glide with the wind until back in a proper
            flying position (such is the case if they end-up behind you in a jump).
            Traction is also a lot smaller once at an end of the flying window.
            This characteristic makes a jump very different. I had jumped a few
            times over three years with my Sputnik (I don't like jumping) before I
            tried Pierre's Mandibules. The jump is totally different. With a
            standard foil, your trajectory is like a parabola : up fast, down fast.
            Mandibules carry you on the way down : up fast, down gliding. You don't
            hit the ground, you land. The flight of the kite is critical : from high
            on one side (~70 degrees) to the top.
            With a wind from the sea measured at 30-35 km/h wind, a 8 m2 and 50m
            lines, my inexperienced 67kg flew a little less than 30m and my feet
            were about 2m up.
            Near La Rochelle (France) where he flies, many people have picked up the
            activity. For the first time, I felt safe while kite jumping :
            appropriate wind and kite, knowledgeable persons around, good soft sand.
            Quite a few person use these kites from 16 to 45 years old. The number
            of casualty is very low. The worst being a broken leg for a person who
            suffered osteoporosis (no wonder) but did not know of it.

            This is to reinforce Neil�s advice to beginners and experts :
            NEVER think you can master the wind or your kite, they are a lot tougher
            than yourself.

            Chris Klein
            >Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 19:58:25 +0800
            >From: Neil Taylor <htlk@...>
            >To: kitesurf@egroups.com
            >Subject: [ksurf] Kite Prangs!! and a little advice!
            >
            >Having broken a leg while kite-flying 7 years ago I sympathise with
            >Greg!! If you are going to mess around a bit while you're not >actually
            kite-surfing please heed the following advice!!

            >NEVER jump on grass or any hard surface, sand is OK if you are >careful
            and have plenty of room. Try and land on your feet and >bottom!! Keep
            your weight BACK and feet forwards. You 'could' twist >an ankle but,
            hey,you could do that crossing the road!

            >NEVER tie yourself to a solid object and launch a large kite. People
            >have been KILLED doing this! I have a friend who was in traction for
            >months and has lost the complete use of his ankle at age 25. That's
            >pretty tough on a piano-teacher!
            >
            >NEVER use a harness (on dry land at least) without a deadman release.
            >People have been KILLED doing this too! If you use hand grips or
            >simple padded wrist straps you can easily let go. Being dragged on
            >the beach is quite safe as long as you are in control! Don't take
            >unnecessary risks.
            >
            >The current record (maybe unofficial) for kite-jumping in France is
            >87m along a beach!!!! Just imagine what you can do off the face of a
            >wave!!!
            >
            >Here's to a SAFE adrenalin rush!!
            >
            >Neil Taylor

          • Bruno Legaignoux
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 1998
              Christian Klein wrote:

              > I would like to add a few comments on the French kite-jumper and his
              > official record. If I dare talking about it, it is because I have spent

              > The number
              > of casualty is very low. The worst being a broken leg for a person who
              > suffered osteoporosis (no wonder) but did not know of it.

              I agree that Pierre's kites, on the principle of Sylvain Berthomé's kites,
              are great for jump, but I don't agree it is a safe sport. There were more
              injuries in the La Rochelle area than you think.

              Why don't you jump on water ? So safer !

              Bruno

            • Dave Terry
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 6, 1998
                >I would like to add a few comments on the French kite-jumper and his
                >official record....

                Please show the documentation. I'm looking for some serious air
                images for my Sea Flight Research site. But I don't want lemmings jumping
                over land. Get a hang glider if your really want to have fun killing
                yourself. Everyone makes mistakes.
                I've attached a shot of myself with a Wind Weapon in 1987. This is
                Seaflight.
                To see flight, go as fast as you can and turn your kite and board
                into the eye of the wind. The increased velocity of air ramming over the
                foil and the increased pressure on the lines will lift your mass to heights
                unimaginable when you've perfected the technique.
                The sea is soft below a hundred feet and our lines prevent us from
                lifting higher than this, for now. I advise keeping flights over the sea.
                But show me the images. As I learned last week, it ain't real until its
                documented.
                We are alllearning to fly. Cory is the first to show twenty eight
                feet at the Gorge.Our consciousness is ready to take flight. Anybody
                recorded any fifty foot lift offs?!
                We are becomeing light, free of gravity,there's no need to rush
                into flight.Don't go jump off a cliff or try to do something stupid.
                Imagine a man standing in the sky, riding a board with wings planing on the
                forces of his own falling. True flight is about to become the most
                enlightening concept of the millinium. Let me be the first to show you.
                Send me the images and I'll put them on the site of Seaflight Research.
                You should all start looking up, realizing we are on the edge of a
                new frontier. I'd like to record the first ascension. Send me your images,
                show me wings turning into the eye, lifting tiny masses into physical
                enlightenment. You are going to fly like a birds, bats and flying fish. God
                grants you the will because you can. Give me the poor in faith and I will
                show you angels or demons flying from the cave of our ignorance into the
                future of true flight. Dave Terry aerobike@...

              • O1withwind@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 7, 1998
                  Dave,
                  I couldn't download your picture properly. It looks like a cool picture, can
                  you send it out again?
                  Thanks,
                  PEACE&WIND
                  Josh Young <o1withwind@...>
                • Dave Terry
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 7, 1998
                    >Dave,
                    >I couldn't download your picture properly. It looks like a cool picture, can
                    >you send it out again?
                    >Thanks,
                    >PEACE&WIND
                    >Josh Young <o1withwind@...>

                    Uh..I sent a gif..should I have sent another format?Dave
                    >No tricks, no gimmicks - just a great intro rate for Internet users!
                    >NextCard Internet VISA -- Apply online now!
                    >http://ads.egroups.com/click/64/1/nextcard
                    >
                    >Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

                    Dave Terry Productions
                    POB 238