Re: Naish UDS

  • Chris Glazier
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
      The UDS should normally be used with you NOT in the chicken loop so
      the short travel is not important. Most of us ride 90% of the time
      unhooked when using the UDS.
      It is a strange feeling being unhooked and yet able to depower the
      kite, but it works.

      Chris Glazier

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "jjamesonn" <jjameson@c...> wrote:
      > I bought the UDS system from Naish for my Aero 2 20m kite.
      > The system "as is" only has about 5-6 inches of travel for the
      > chicken loop. I'm used to 18 inches or so with my older kites (I
      > have long arms). Is this range of chicken loop travel enough, or
      > should I modify it somehow? I haven't flown the kite yet (just
      > bought it this fall). Thanks, Joe
    • patrikol1
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
        No you are refering to the old system. You have much moore range.
        The chicken loop on a UDS system is the same as the fixed loop on
        the old systm. And out of the chickenloop on an UDS system is to
        regard as the chickenloop on the old system.
        /Patrik

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "jjamesonn" <jjameson@c...> wrote:
        > I bought the UDS system from Naish for my Aero 2 20m kite.
        > The system "as is" only has about 5-6 inches of travel for the
        > chicken loop. I'm used to 18 inches or so with my older kites (I
        > have long arms). Is this range of chicken loop travel enough, or
        > should I modify it somehow? I haven't flown the kite yet (just
        > bought it this fall). Thanks, Joe
      • jjamesonn
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 8, 2004
          Do you who have the UDS like it? In what conditions do you use it?
          What do you like about it? What don't you like about it?

          Thanks Joe
        • patrikol1
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 8, 2004
            Yes. -5 celsius to 30+ celsius flat water. Everything. Nothing.
            :-)

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "jjamesonn" <jjameson@c...> wrote:
            > Do you who have the UDS like it? In what conditions do you use
            it?
            > What do you like about it? What don't you like about it?
            >
            > Thanks Joe
          • kitesurfcapetown
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
              Hi Joe

              I have done a test on the UDS, but only used it in light wind
              conditions. I am considering buying one for myself.

              The only possible gripe I have about the bar is the fact that you now
              have on extra safety release to pull, should the ##%#^ hit the fan...

              Other than that - it's all good, as I find the X2 bar a good bar as
              it is. The main reason for me moving to the UDS bar is for the
              spinning leash feature.

              You can read the review here :
              http://www.ikiteboarding.com/article_detail.aspx?id=99

              Regards
              Carlo
              http://www.iKiteboarding.com

              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "jjamesonn" <jjameson@c...> wrote:
              > Do you who have the UDS like it? In what conditions do you use
              it?
              > What do you like about it? What don't you like about it?
              >
              > Thanks Joe
            • Chris Glazier
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                <kitesurfcapetown@y...> wrote:
                > The main reason for me moving to the UDS bar is for the
                > spinning leash feature.

                No, the main reasons for using the UDS are the free bar feature and
                extra depower capability. If all you want is a spinning leash, just
                buy the Naish spinning leash system. You may not like the feeling of
                the UDS, but everyone will like the Naish spinning leash system.

                With the UDS you should rarely be hooked into the loop (or you
                aren't using its main features), and then you have only one release
                to pull, just like any bar.

                Chris Glazier
              • Stefano Rosso
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                  No, the main reasons for using the UDS are the free bar feature and extra
                  depower capability. If all you want is a spinning leash, just buy the Naish
                  spinning leash system. You may not like the feeling of the UDS, but everyone
                  will like the Naish spinning leash system.

                  With the UDS you should rarely be hooked into the loop (or you aren't using
                  its main features), and then you have only one release to pull, just like
                  any bar.

                  Chris Glazier

                  == from what I saw, the spinning leash works best when hooked in to the UDS.
                  If unhooked you will have a lot of tension on the spinning collar which wont
                  spin that well with tension on it

                  Is this right ?
                • Chris Glazier
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                    Hi Stefano
                    The UDS includes the Naish spinning leash system. With the UDS when
                    you are unhooked and riding normally, the spinning collar on the
                    spreader bar is all that holds you to the kite (by the leash). It
                    may not always rotate but there are two other swivels that do allow
                    your front lines to untwist. And of course there is no problem with
                    the back lines because the leash cannot tangle with them.

                    With the Naish SSS spinning system you normally ride hooked into the
                    chicken loop. In this case the spinning collar on the spreader bar
                    usually rotates freely allowing your lines to untwist.

                    Overall I don't even think about line twists when I use either the
                    UDS or the Naish SSS spinning system.. and I do rotations with
                    almost every jump.

                    Chris Glazier

                    --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Stefano Rosso"
                    <stefano.rosso@a...> wrote:
                    > No, the main reasons for using the UDS are the free bar feature
                    and extra
                    > depower capability. If all you want is a spinning leash, just buy
                    the Naish
                    > spinning leash system. You may not like the feeling of the UDS,
                    but everyone
                    > will like the Naish spinning leash system.
                    >
                    > With the UDS you should rarely be hooked into the loop (or you
                    aren't using
                    > its main features), and then you have only one release to pull,
                    just like
                    > any bar.
                    >
                    > Chris Glazier
                    >

                    > == from what I saw, the spinning leash works best when hooked in
                    to the UDS.
                    > If unhooked you will have a lot of tension on the spinning collar
                    which wont
                    > spin that well with tension on it
                    >
                    > Is this right ?
                  • kitesurfcapetown
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                      True, but like I said the main reason, and not the only reason. I am
                      considering the UDS due to it's extra depower capabilities and
                      freebar features too, but the biggest plus to me is still the
                      spinning leash...

                      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...>
                      > No, the main reasons for using the UDS are the free bar feature and
                      > extra depower capability. If all you want is a spinning leash, just
                      > buy the Naish spinning leash system. You may not like the feeling
                      of
                      > the UDS, but everyone will like the Naish spinning leash system.

                    • cyboz
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 16, 2004
                        Hi Chris,

                        If most of the time you ride unhooked with the UDS can you almost do
                        away with the hook altogether? Or is it better to keep it?

                        Just a thought really, as it would tidy the bar up even more than it
                        has been which could be good.

                        PS just started to use it and I like it.

                        I had an idea of fixing the line that goes to the spinning collar to
                        a wichard quick release rather than the spinning collar.
                        Any thoughts on that?

                        Thanks Simon