Naish UDS

  • jjamesonn
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
      I bought the UDS system from Naish for my Aero 2 20m kite.
      The system "as is" only has about 5-6 inches of travel for the
      chicken loop. I'm used to 18 inches or so with my older kites (I
      have long arms). Is this range of chicken loop travel enough, or
      should I modify it somehow? I haven't flown the kite yet (just
      bought it this fall). Thanks, Joe
    • Chris Glazier
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
        The UDS should normally be used with you NOT in the chicken loop so
        the short travel is not important. Most of us ride 90% of the time
        unhooked when using the UDS.
        It is a strange feeling being unhooked and yet able to depower the
        kite, but it works.

        Chris Glazier

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "jjamesonn" <jjameson@c...> wrote:
        > I bought the UDS system from Naish for my Aero 2 20m kite.
        > The system "as is" only has about 5-6 inches of travel for the
        > chicken loop. I'm used to 18 inches or so with my older kites (I
        > have long arms). Is this range of chicken loop travel enough, or
        > should I modify it somehow? I haven't flown the kite yet (just
        > bought it this fall). Thanks, Joe
      • patrikol1
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
          No you are refering to the old system. You have much moore range.
          The chicken loop on a UDS system is the same as the fixed loop on
          the old systm. And out of the chickenloop on an UDS system is to
          regard as the chickenloop on the old system.
          /Patrik

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 8, 2004
            Do you who have the UDS like it? In what conditions do you use it?
            What do you like about it? What don't you like about it?

            Thanks Joe
          • patrikol1
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 8, 2004
              Yes. -5 celsius to 30+ celsius flat water. Everything. Nothing.
              :-)

              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "jjamesonn" <jjameson@c...> wrote:
              > Do you who have the UDS like it? In what conditions do you use
              it?
              > What do you like about it? What don't you like about it?
              >
              > Thanks Joe
            • kitesurfcapetown
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                Hi Joe

                I have done a test on the UDS, but only used it in light wind
                conditions. I am considering buying one for myself.

                The only possible gripe I have about the bar is the fact that you now
                have on extra safety release to pull, should the ##%#^ hit the fan...

                Other than that - it's all good, as I find the X2 bar a good bar as
                it is. The main reason for me moving to the UDS bar is for the
                spinning leash feature.

                You can read the review here :
                http://www.ikiteboarding.com/article_detail.aspx?id=99

                Regards
                Carlo
                http://www.iKiteboarding.com

                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "jjamesonn" <jjameson@c...> wrote:
                > Do you who have the UDS like it? In what conditions do you use
                it?
                > What do you like about it? What don't you like about it?
                >
                > Thanks Joe
              • Chris Glazier
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                  <kitesurfcapetown@y...> wrote:
                  > The main reason for me moving to the UDS bar is for the
                  > spinning leash feature.

                  No, the main reasons for using the UDS are the free bar feature and
                  extra depower capability. If all you want is a spinning leash, just
                  buy the Naish spinning leash system. You may not like the feeling of
                  the UDS, but everyone will like the Naish spinning leash system.

                  With the UDS you should rarely be hooked into the loop (or you
                  aren't using its main features), and then you have only one release
                  to pull, just like any bar.

                  Chris Glazier
                • Stefano Rosso
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                    No, the main reasons for using the UDS are the free bar feature and extra
                    depower capability. If all you want is a spinning leash, just buy the Naish
                    spinning leash system. You may not like the feeling of the UDS, but everyone
                    will like the Naish spinning leash system.

                    With the UDS you should rarely be hooked into the loop (or you aren't using
                    its main features), and then you have only one release to pull, just like
                    any bar.

                    Chris Glazier

                    == from what I saw, the spinning leash works best when hooked in to the UDS.
                    If unhooked you will have a lot of tension on the spinning collar which wont
                    spin that well with tension on it

                    Is this right ?
                  • Chris Glazier
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                      Hi Stefano
                      The UDS includes the Naish spinning leash system. With the UDS when
                      you are unhooked and riding normally, the spinning collar on the
                      spreader bar is all that holds you to the kite (by the leash). It
                      may not always rotate but there are two other swivels that do allow
                      your front lines to untwist. And of course there is no problem with
                      the back lines because the leash cannot tangle with them.

                      With the Naish SSS spinning system you normally ride hooked into the
                      chicken loop. In this case the spinning collar on the spreader bar
                      usually rotates freely allowing your lines to untwist.

                      Overall I don't even think about line twists when I use either the
                      UDS or the Naish SSS spinning system.. and I do rotations with
                      almost every jump.

                      Chris Glazier

                      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Stefano Rosso"
                      <stefano.rosso@a...> wrote:
                      > No, the main reasons for using the UDS are the free bar feature
                      and extra
                      > depower capability. If all you want is a spinning leash, just buy
                      the Naish
                      > spinning leash system. You may not like the feeling of the UDS,
                      but everyone
                      > will like the Naish spinning leash system.
                      >
                      > With the UDS you should rarely be hooked into the loop (or you
                      aren't using
                      > its main features), and then you have only one release to pull,
                      just like
                      > any bar.
                      >
                      > Chris Glazier
                      >

                      > == from what I saw, the spinning leash works best when hooked in
                      to the UDS.
                      > If unhooked you will have a lot of tension on the spinning collar
                      which wont
                      > spin that well with tension on it
                      >
                      > Is this right ?
                    • kitesurfcapetown
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                        True, but like I said the main reason, and not the only reason. I am
                        considering the UDS due to it's extra depower capabilities and
                        freebar features too, but the biggest plus to me is still the
                        spinning leash...

                        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...>
                        > No, the main reasons for using the UDS are the free bar feature and
                        > extra depower capability. If all you want is a spinning leash, just
                        > buy the Naish spinning leash system. You may not like the feeling
                        of
                        > the UDS, but everyone will like the Naish spinning leash system.

                      • cyboz
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 16, 2004
                          Hi Chris,

                          If most of the time you ride unhooked with the UDS can you almost do
                          away with the hook altogether? Or is it better to keep it?

                          Just a thought really, as it would tidy the bar up even more than it
                          has been which could be good.

                          PS just started to use it and I like it.

                          I had an idea of fixing the line that goes to the spinning collar to
                          a wichard quick release rather than the spinning collar.
                          Any thoughts on that?

                          Thanks Simon