Re: 3 hours kitesnowboarder

  • John Santos
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
      Thanks, Hung, that's an interesting and excellent veiwpoint I can't
      remember hearing before.

      Would you say the same applies to land kiteboarding, say on a dry
      lake like we have here out west?

      John

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
      > I had an excellent session with a student today and at the end of
      the 3
      > hours session he was cranking upwind like an expert kitesnowboarder.
      >
      > The session goes like this: 1 hour on trainer kite, 1.5 hour on a
      small
      > 3.5 foil and the last .5 hour on a full size 6 m foil.
      >
      > We managed to go over all aspect of kitesnowboarding including the
      > "dropping the bar" reflex.
      >
      > Learning kitesnowboarding is much much safer than kitesurfing as
      you can
      > walk out to the middle of NOWHERE and learn from all your mistakes
      > without hurting yourself or anyone else (watch out for the
      instructor
      > thought - he is the only one around you that may get hurt)
      >
      > I would recommend kitesnowboarding/kiteskiing as the first kiting
      sport
      > for one to learn before learning kitesurfing (remember the
      graduation
      > model ;-). It's just so safe, so much fun (the fun start much
      earlier
      > than kitesurfing) and you can learn from all of your mistakes
      before
      > graduate to the more DANGEROUS kitesurfing. Also, once you are a
      > kitesnowboarder, you can kitesurf upwind just naturally...
      >
      > P.S., There are so much currently wasted space where one can
      > kitesnowboard/kiteski, no limit to where you can launch or land and
      go
      > (I actually walk out to the kitesnowboarding spot and "travel"
      around
      > with the kite bag as my backpack)....
      >
      > Hung.
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "John Santos" <bamoffthelip@e...> wrote:
        > Thanks, Hung, that's an interesting and excellent veiwpoint I can't
        > remember hearing before.
        >
        > Would you say the same applies to land kiteboarding, say on a dry
        > lake like we have here out west?

        Hi John,

        The same would be applicable to land kiteboarding to a certain degree.

        The only concern I have is that land is still fairly rigid and may
        hurt the student (even Peter Lynn was knocked out completely and was
        driven to the hospital last year).

        Hung.
      • theflyingtinman
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "hungvuatnetcomdotca" <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:

          > The only concern I have is that land is still fairly rigid and may
          > hurt the student (even Peter Lynn was knocked out completely and was
          > driven to the hospital last year).

          True ... but you could hurt yourself falling off that thing PL
          was riding even without a kite ;-)

          ...http://www.skivvies.com/photos/2003-04_Spring_Break_Buggy_Blast/114_1474

          Steve T.