3 hours kitesnowboarder

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2004
      I had an excellent session with a student today and at the end of the 3
      hours session he was cranking upwind like an expert kitesnowboarder.

      The session goes like this: 1 hour on trainer kite, 1.5 hour on a small
      3.5 foil and the last .5 hour on a full size 6 m foil.

      We managed to go over all aspect of kitesnowboarding including the
      "dropping the bar" reflex.

      Learning kitesnowboarding is much much safer than kitesurfing as you can
      walk out to the middle of NOWHERE and learn from all your mistakes
      without hurting yourself or anyone else (watch out for the instructor
      thought - he is the only one around you that may get hurt)

      I would recommend kitesnowboarding/kiteskiing as the first kiting sport
      for one to learn before learning kitesurfing (remember the graduation
      model ;-). It's just so safe, so much fun (the fun start much earlier
      than kitesurfing) and you can learn from all of your mistakes before
      graduate to the more DANGEROUS kitesurfing. Also, once you are a
      kitesnowboarder, you can kitesurf upwind just naturally...

      P.S., There are so much currently wasted space where one can
      kitesnowboard/kiteski, no limit to where you can launch or land and go
      (I actually walk out to the kitesnowboarding spot and "travel" around
      with the kite bag as my backpack)....

      Hung.
    • John Santos
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
        Thanks, Hung, that's an interesting and excellent veiwpoint I can't
        remember hearing before.

        Would you say the same applies to land kiteboarding, say on a dry
        lake like we have here out west?

        John

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
        > I had an excellent session with a student today and at the end of
        the 3
        > hours session he was cranking upwind like an expert kitesnowboarder.
        >
        > The session goes like this: 1 hour on trainer kite, 1.5 hour on a
        small
        > 3.5 foil and the last .5 hour on a full size 6 m foil.
        >
        > We managed to go over all aspect of kitesnowboarding including the
        > "dropping the bar" reflex.
        >
        > Learning kitesnowboarding is much much safer than kitesurfing as
        you can
        > walk out to the middle of NOWHERE and learn from all your mistakes
        > without hurting yourself or anyone else (watch out for the
        instructor
        > thought - he is the only one around you that may get hurt)
        >
        > I would recommend kitesnowboarding/kiteskiing as the first kiting
        sport
        > for one to learn before learning kitesurfing (remember the
        graduation
        > model ;-). It's just so safe, so much fun (the fun start much
        earlier
        > than kitesurfing) and you can learn from all of your mistakes
        before
        > graduate to the more DANGEROUS kitesurfing. Also, once you are a
        > kitesnowboarder, you can kitesurf upwind just naturally...
        >
        > P.S., There are so much currently wasted space where one can
        > kitesnowboard/kiteski, no limit to where you can launch or land and
        go
        > (I actually walk out to the kitesnowboarding spot and "travel"
        around
        > with the kite bag as my backpack)....
        >
        > Hung.
      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "John Santos" <bamoffthelip@e...> wrote:
          > Thanks, Hung, that's an interesting and excellent veiwpoint I can't
          > remember hearing before.
          >
          > Would you say the same applies to land kiteboarding, say on a dry
          > lake like we have here out west?

          Hi John,

          The same would be applicable to land kiteboarding to a certain degree.

          The only concern I have is that land is still fairly rigid and may
          hurt the student (even Peter Lynn was knocked out completely and was
          driven to the hospital last year).

          Hung.
        • theflyingtinman
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "hungvuatnetcomdotca" <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:

            > The only concern I have is that land is still fairly rigid and may
            > hurt the student (even Peter Lynn was knocked out completely and was
            > driven to the hospital last year).

            True ... but you could hurt yourself falling off that thing PL
            was riding even without a kite ;-)

            ...http://www.skivvies.com/photos/2003-04_Spring_Break_Buggy_Blast/114_1474

            Steve T.