[ksurf] Re: Quick Release vs Deadman

  • Ian Young
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 1998
      > The un-velcro-ed wrist strap also bothers me (what happens if a boat
      > catches one of the line and drag you along with it?).

      When ridge soaring my hang glider on coastal sites I always take a hook knife.
      Maybe I should take it Kite Ski&Surfing too!

      Cheers,
      Ian

      WinDesigns Australia:
      9 Oliver St, Scarborough, WA, AUSTRALIA, 6019
      Phone/Fax: +61 8 9245 4657
      Mobile: 0414 716 812
      Email: IanYoung@...
      Webpage: http://www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/

    • Dave Culp
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 1998
        Have a look at commercial fishing set-ups. On any boat using outriggers
        (salmon, albacore, swordfish; most hobbiest sportfishermen), they use
        similar systems. Generally they use a ring tied into the main line, with
        the line running freely through another ring attached to the outrigger
        pole. The main-line ring is designed to pass through all
        pulleys/fairleads/winches, just not through the (final) smaller ring on
        the outrigger pole line. Using this, the outrigger takes the pull when
        trolling, but the fisherman takes the fish over when fighting it, just by
        reeling in some line.

        --
        Dave Culp Speedsailing dave@... http://www.dcss.org/speedsl
        Kite powered boats, high speed sailing, proas and more. Check it out!

      • Ian Young
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 1998
          I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way - I assure you that I want this
          sport to be as safe as possible.

          But I think with the number of learners (myself included) that are reading these
          postings on quick and deadman releases, that a point is made about the
          importance of commitment, determination and judgement.

          I have been developing a training package for the school I will be starting soon
          and when teaching friends and family I have found that it takes some time for
          people to get used to the power that these kites can generate.

          A common fault I have observed is that until confidence is built through
          practise/ experience, people tend to lack commitment and determination to keep
          control of the kite at all times eg often when a power kite starts to pull hard,
          learners tend to walk toward the kite rather than lean back against the pull -
          obvious to the experienced kite flyer: without tension on the lines you can't
          effectively control the kite!

          I would hate to see people defaulting to releasing a kite pre-maturely rather
          than fighting to regain/ keep control of a kite. Even with all the released
          discussed to date you still have a kite falling or flying with lines trailing
          from it that can still injure people or tangle on stationary or moving objects.
          A kite without tension on the lines (released or otherwise) is still out of
          control!

          The key IMO, is judgement of when to release a kite because there is no chance
          of bringing it back under control.

          Something else that may be worth considering that we use hang gliding when aero
          or vehicle towing is the compulsory use of weak-links (usually 1.2G) in addition
          to a "three ring circus" quick release.

          Cheers,
          Ian

          WinDesigns Australia:
          9 Oliver St, Scarborough, WA, AUSTRALIA, 6019
          Phone/Fax: +61 8 9245 4657
          Mobile: 0414 716 812
          Email: IanYoung@...
          Webpage: http://www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/

        • Michel Montmigny
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 1998
            Ian Young wrote:

            > I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way - I assure you that I want this
            > sport to be as safe as possible.
            >
            > But I think with the number of learners (myself included) that are reading these
            > postings on quick and deadman releases, that a point is made about the
            > importance of commitment, determination and judgement.
            >
            > I have been developing a training package for the school I will be starting soon
            > and when teaching friends and family I have found that it takes some time for
            > people to get used to the power that these kites can generate.
            >
            > A common fault I have observed is that until confidence is built through
            > practise/ experience, people tend to lack commitment and determination to keep
            > control of the kite at all times eg often when a power kite starts to pull hard,
            > learners tend to walk toward the kite rather than lean back against the pull -
            > obvious to the experienced kite flyer: without tension on the lines you can't
            > effectively control the kite!
            >
            > I would hate to see people defaulting to releasing a kite pre-maturely rather
            > than fighting to regain/ keep control of a kite. Even with all the released
            > discussed to date you still have a kite falling or flying with lines trailing
            > from it that can still injure people or tangle on stationary or moving objects.
            > A kite without tension on the lines (released or otherwise) is still out of
            > control!
            >
            > The key IMO, is judgement of when to release a kite because there is no chance
            > of bringing it back under control.
            >
            > Something else that may be worth considering that we use hang gliding when aero
            > or vehicle towing is the compulsory use of weak-links (usually 1.2G) in addition
            > to a "three ring circus" quick release.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Ian
            >
            > WinDesigns Australia:
            > 9 Oliver St, Scarborough, WA, AUSTRALIA, 6019
            > Phone/Fax: +61 8 9245 4657
            > Mobile: 0414 716 812
            > Email: IanYoung@...
            > Webpage: http://www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/

            > Know someone who deserves flowers? At proflowers.com, it's only $29.95
            >
            > plus S & H ($5.95 for most domestic locations) for one dozen roses and
            >
            > shipped direct from the grower via Fedex Priority Overnight.
            >
            > http://www.proflowers.com/eg.cfm
            >
            > Subscribe, unsubscribe, opt for a daily digest, or start a new e-group
            > at http://www.eGroups.com -- Free Web-based e-mail groups.

            Just few worlds to say that the most important thing to learn(to me) and
            know about Kitesurfing sport, is how manage the kite in any conditions.
            After that let's go on the water and have fun.
            For a 10 hours kitesurfing lesson, I teach 70% kites practice.

            I make traction kites(TRACTIONtm) since 1991 and practice traction sport
            since that time, this is my first kitesurfing season and it's going
            well.

            I agree with all those that are trying to make that sport very safe,
            this is the only one way to grow.

            Have nice breeze

            Michel Montminy
            www.conceptair.com