RE: [ksurf] A not rapidly growing sport anymore!WHY,let's brain storm

  • Stefano Rosso
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2004
      I feel that the sport is still growing but not as rapid as in the past.
      1/ The local growth for our area has peaked in early/mid 2003 and now the
      sport still grow but not as rapid

      == here in brasil it seems to have hit the HYPE in that period but I am
      seeing a resurgence of popular interest.

      2/ The online interest similarly has peaked in early/mid 2003 (on most
      popular groups, fora, email, etc.)

      3/ Most in the first batch of pioneers are getting bored and not actively
      promoting the sport anymore

      == I am definitely bored... More interested in doing other sports...
      Kitesurf only when the conditions are really good !!

      4/ The first few batches of kitesurfers are people doing relating sports
      (windsurfing, wakeboarding, snowboarding, etc.). Those in these groups who
      want to kitesurf have already done so, the rest is not likely to switch over
      as rapidly.

      5/ The onlookers still consider
      kitesurfing/kitesnowboarding/kiteskiing is only for the extemely fit person
      and afraid of not be able to learn (while kitesurfing in Varadero, I
      attracted many interested tourists but virtually all of them think
      kitesurfing is very difficult to learn and they won't be able to learn it;
      only a few plan to give it a try)

      P.S., Strangely enough, most of the onlooker don't think that kitesurfing is
      dangerous!!!

      === I don't consider this strange. It has always been the case that people
      that kitesurfing is difficult and safe. (both wrong)

      By the way there was a bad accident here in brazil recently. A belgian
      tourist crashed headfirst into a wall. The usual onshore wind mistake of
      launching and screwing up. Apparently he survived allthough he cracked his
      head open and had several exposed fractures (and also apparently was dragged
      over some cactii)