Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: A not so well-known kitesurfing paradise.

Expand Messages
  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Ken, I agree! For travelling, we should bring as many kites as we can. For me I should have brought at least 2 kites: a 8 and 14 m2. That quiver should at
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
      Ken,

      I agree!

      For travelling, we should bring as many kites as we can. For me I
      should have brought at least 2 kites: a 8 and 14 m2. That quiver
      should at least cover the wind range from 9 to 25 knots or me.

      P.S., modern kite wind range are so great that I hope that one day we
      can travel with only 1 kite.

      Hung.

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...> wrote:
      > Hung,
      >
      > I hope others learn from your mistake - Always take a full kite
      > quiver when traveling. At least you were fortunate and were able to
      > ride later in the day. Just think how disappointed you would have
      > been if the conditions were perfect for a 18 - 20M kite all day
      > every day and all you had was a 14.
      >
      > A friend of mine spent a week in Maui on the beach because he didn't
      > pack a 20M kite. I was blasted along the Oregon coast because my
      > smallest kite was a 10M. I have learned that you need a full quiver
      > because you never know what the local wind conditions will be. I
      > have had trips where I flew every kite in my bag and I went home
      > happy. For me that means 5 kites - 25, 20, 16, 12, and 8. I leave
      > out the 25 when going to places with a difficult launch, but it is a
      > must in light wind locales like S. Ca. If I anticipate strong winds
      > I may bring along a 10 as well and leave out the 25. However, let
      > me say it again, you never can be sure about the wind. I say better
      > a light session or a nuclear one, than none at all.
      >
      > Kenny
      >
      > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
      > > Just came back from a family vacation from Varadero, Cuba (this is
      > a
      > > family vacation so I have no say about where we go)
      > >
      > > I did some research before going (looking at some wind statistics
      > at
      > > Varadero in the last few years) and thought that kitesurfing is
      > not that
      > > great so I packed only 1 kite (Gastraa GSX 14 m2) and 1 board.
      > >
      > > The &^(*( wind statistics was so wrong. The wind at Varadero was
      > so
      > > good that I couldn't kite a few days because the wind was so
      > strong for
      > > my 14 m2 kite (for those days I had to wait until the end of the
      > days -
      > > after 5 PM - for the wind to die down before going out).
      > >
      > > When I came back, I looked at the wind statistics for the same
      > period I
      > > was there and it is about 5 - 7 knots below my experience.
      > >
      > > I end up kitesurf 70% of the time and the other 30% couldn't
      > kitesurf
      > > becasue the wind was too strong.
      > >
      > > I normally kitesurf 50% of the time at Carabete during this time
      > of the
      > > year.
      > >
      > > Hung.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.