Lessons in Kauai???

  • m_evered
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
      I have become completely intrigued with kitesurfing and have decided
      to take the plunge. I've watched the "how to" video's and bought and
      flown a trainer kite. Now it's time to start with some lessons and
      since I'm going to be in Kauai I figured that would be a great place
      to start. So, does anyone have any recommendations for a kitesurfing
      school in Kauai?

      Thanks,

      Matt
    • fernmanus
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2004
        Matt,

        First of all, I commend you for taking lessons. However, Kauai is
        not the best place to learn. There is a local instructor that
        teaches lessons in Hanalei Bay, not a formal school. The problem
        with Hanalei Bay is that the wind is inconsistent (gusty, swirly).
        The other locales on Kauai are not for beginners due to coral,
        waves, etc. You can learn on Kauai, but it may take more effort on
        your part. The time of year you go is important as well. The best
        time for wind on Kauai is during the summer months.

        Kailua Beach on Oahu is a better location in the summer. In the
        winter, you really should go to Maui for wind, but Maui is honestly
        a difficult place to learn. It is crowded, has a short downwind
        stretch, and the wind is strong and gusty. If you live in the
        states, the best place I have seen to learn is S. Padre Island, TX.
        It is wide open, uncrowded, and the wind is very consistent.

        Kenny