Re: [ksurf] A not so well-known kitesurfing paradise.

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
      Brian, Raul,

      The forecast for Vadareo is at
      http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/78229.html . The forecast
      looks not bad. This same site has the WRONG wind statistics for last
      few years (even for the last 2 weeeks when I was there).

      Vadareo is a very narrow island about 25 km long just off the north
      coast of Cuba (separated from the main land by a large lagoon and a
      man made canal). The wind is mostly from the E - NE unless there is
      some disturbance weather. The wind peak between 12 - 3 PM (to about
      13 to 25 knots for the period when I was there - I should have brought
      2 kites a 14 m2 and a 8 m2 to cover the whole wind range). The island
      is surrounded by water and small enough that you can find kiting spot
      for any condition you like (side shore, side off shore, side on shore,
      off shore, on shore, etc.) within 20 minutes driving. If you want to
      kite in side shore condition with the dominant E - NE wind right from
      your hotel beach then stay near the tip of the South West side of the
      island (fortunately this is where my hotel is).

      There is no kite school nor shop in Varadero so bring your own
      equipment and some spares. There is no local kiter except for a local
      life guard having some old kites and learning body dragging at the
      moment. I don't see any nasty thing in the water and you can always
      ask the life guards about the local conditions. The accommodation is
      excellent (from very expensive luxurious hotels to more reasonable
      ones). The cost of living is cheap (considering the average monthly
      salary is $20 US).

      There are many direct flights and package tours from Canada and Europe
      to Cuba. I am not sure if there is any from US (if not then you can
      drive/fly to any Candian cities and fly from there - Cuba does not
      need visa nor stamp your passport)

      Franz Orly was there; read http://www.wetdawg.com/pages/cuba.html or
      http://www.wickedsun.com/Cubapages.pdf

      P.S., If you go there, remember to bring some old kiting equipment
      that you no longer use and donate it to the local life guards (they
      can exchange some services for that gratitude).

      Hung.