Re: [ksurf] A not so well-known kitesurfing paradise.

  • Raul F Argilagos
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
      The accomodations there are excellent but absolutely no rentals
      or schools. weather is in the 70's generally with side on conditions.
      lotsa wind, you'll need to bring all your gear.
      mostly sandy and maybe some nasties in the water but I doubt they'll
      bother you. the only difficult part is getting there from the US even
      though it is only 70 miles away from the US.

      Hung, how did you make your trip there? or is it a secret?

      Raul

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
        Brian, Raul,

        The forecast for Vadareo is at
        http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/78229.html . The forecast
        looks not bad. This same site has the WRONG wind statistics for last
        few years (even for the last 2 weeeks when I was there).

        Vadareo is a very narrow island about 25 km long just off the north
        coast of Cuba (separated from the main land by a large lagoon and a
        man made canal). The wind is mostly from the E - NE unless there is
        some disturbance weather. The wind peak between 12 - 3 PM (to about
        13 to 25 knots for the period when I was there - I should have brought
        2 kites a 14 m2 and a 8 m2 to cover the whole wind range). The island
        is surrounded by water and small enough that you can find kiting spot
        for any condition you like (side shore, side off shore, side on shore,
        off shore, on shore, etc.) within 20 minutes driving. If you want to
        kite in side shore condition with the dominant E - NE wind right from
        your hotel beach then stay near the tip of the South West side of the
        island (fortunately this is where my hotel is).

        There is no kite school nor shop in Varadero so bring your own
        equipment and some spares. There is no local kiter except for a local
        life guard having some old kites and learning body dragging at the
        moment. I don't see any nasty thing in the water and you can always
        ask the life guards about the local conditions. The accommodation is
        excellent (from very expensive luxurious hotels to more reasonable
        ones). The cost of living is cheap (considering the average monthly
        salary is $20 US).

        There are many direct flights and package tours from Canada and Europe
        to Cuba. I am not sure if there is any from US (if not then you can
        drive/fly to any Candian cities and fly from there - Cuba does not
        need visa nor stamp your passport)

        Franz Orly was there; read http://www.wetdawg.com/pages/cuba.html or
        http://www.wickedsun.com/Cubapages.pdf

        P.S., If you go there, remember to bring some old kiting equipment
        that you no longer use and donate it to the local life guards (they
        can exchange some services for that gratitude).

        Hung.