Re: [ksurf] A not so well-known kitesurfing paradise.

  • Suntrax
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
      Hi Hung

      Do you have some web sites for Varadero? weather, rental, accomadation plus
      others for Cuba?.
      Anything like Kitexcite there?
      How were conditions?, i.e. Sideshore or onshore, coral reefs, nasties in the
      water etc.

      Thanks in advance.

      Best regards

      Brian

      (========o]></

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Brian Wilson
      Suntrax
      Tel/fax 27 (0)21 5560044
      cell; 0824656696
      13 Bayside Centre
      Tableview
      Cape Town
      www.suntrax.co.za
      info@...
      Mon - Fri 9am-7pm
      Sat 9am-5pm
      Sun 9.30am- 2.00pm
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
        The accomodations there are excellent but absolutely no rentals
        or schools. weather is in the 70's generally with side on conditions.
        lotsa wind, you'll need to bring all your gear.
        mostly sandy and maybe some nasties in the water but I doubt they'll
        bother you. the only difficult part is getting there from the US even
        though it is only 70 miles away from the US.

        Hung, how did you make your trip there? or is it a secret?

        Raul

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
          Brian, Raul,

          The forecast for Vadareo is at
          http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/78229.html . The forecast
          looks not bad. This same site has the WRONG wind statistics for last
          few years (even for the last 2 weeeks when I was there).

          Vadareo is a very narrow island about 25 km long just off the north
          coast of Cuba (separated from the main land by a large lagoon and a
          man made canal). The wind is mostly from the E - NE unless there is
          some disturbance weather. The wind peak between 12 - 3 PM (to about
          13 to 25 knots for the period when I was there - I should have brought
          2 kites a 14 m2 and a 8 m2 to cover the whole wind range). The island
          is surrounded by water and small enough that you can find kiting spot
          for any condition you like (side shore, side off shore, side on shore,
          off shore, on shore, etc.) within 20 minutes driving. If you want to
          kite in side shore condition with the dominant E - NE wind right from
          your hotel beach then stay near the tip of the South West side of the
          island (fortunately this is where my hotel is).

          There is no kite school nor shop in Varadero so bring your own
          equipment and some spares. There is no local kiter except for a local
          life guard having some old kites and learning body dragging at the
          moment. I don't see any nasty thing in the water and you can always
          ask the life guards about the local conditions. The accommodation is
          excellent (from very expensive luxurious hotels to more reasonable
          ones). The cost of living is cheap (considering the average monthly
          salary is $20 US).

          There are many direct flights and package tours from Canada and Europe
          to Cuba. I am not sure if there is any from US (if not then you can
          drive/fly to any Candian cities and fly from there - Cuba does not
          need visa nor stamp your passport)

          Franz Orly was there; read http://www.wetdawg.com/pages/cuba.html or
          http://www.wickedsun.com/Cubapages.pdf

          P.S., If you go there, remember to bring some old kiting equipment
          that you no longer use and donate it to the local life guards (they
          can exchange some services for that gratitude).

          Hung.