Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

A not so well-known kitesurfing paradise.

Expand Messages
  • Hung Vu
    Just came back from a family vacation from Varadero, Cuba (this is a family vacation so I have no say about where we go) I did some research before going
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Just came back from a family vacation from Varadero, Cuba (this is a
      family vacation so I have no say about where we go)

      I did some research before going (looking at some wind statistics at
      Varadero in the last few years) and thought that kitesurfing is not that
      great so I packed only 1 kite (Gastraa GSX 14 m2) and 1 board.

      The &^(*( wind statistics was so wrong. The wind at Varadero was so
      good that I couldn't kite a few days because the wind was so strong for
      my 14 m2 kite (for those days I had to wait until the end of the days -
      after 5 PM - for the wind to die down before going out).

      When I came back, I looked at the wind statistics for the same period I
      was there and it is about 5 - 7 knots below my experience.

      I end up kitesurf 70% of the time and the other 30% couldn't kitesurf
      becasue the wind was too strong.

      I normally kitesurf 50% of the time at Carabete during this time of the
      year.

      Hung.
    • fernmanus
      Hung, I hope others learn from your mistake - Always take a full kite quiver when traveling. At least you were fortunate and were able to ride later in the
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        Hung,

        I hope others learn from your mistake - Always take a full kite
        quiver when traveling. At least you were fortunate and were able to
        ride later in the day. Just think how disappointed you would have
        been if the conditions were perfect for a 18 - 20M kite all day
        every day and all you had was a 14.

        A friend of mine spent a week in Maui on the beach because he didn't
        pack a 20M kite. I was blasted along the Oregon coast because my
        smallest kite was a 10M. I have learned that you need a full quiver
        because you never know what the local wind conditions will be. I
        have had trips where I flew every kite in my bag and I went home
        happy. For me that means 5 kites - 25, 20, 16, 12, and 8. I leave
        out the 25 when going to places with a difficult launch, but it is a
        must in light wind locales like S. Ca. If I anticipate strong winds
        I may bring along a 10 as well and leave out the 25. However, let
        me say it again, you never can be sure about the wind. I say better
        a light session or a nuclear one, than none at all.

        Kenny

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
        > Just came back from a family vacation from Varadero, Cuba (this is
        a
        > family vacation so I have no say about where we go)
        >
        > I did some research before going (looking at some wind statistics
        at
        > Varadero in the last few years) and thought that kitesurfing is
        not that
        > great so I packed only 1 kite (Gastraa GSX 14 m2) and 1 board.
        >
        > The &^(*( wind statistics was so wrong. The wind at Varadero was
        so
        > good that I couldn't kite a few days because the wind was so
        strong for
        > my 14 m2 kite (for those days I had to wait until the end of the
        days -
        > after 5 PM - for the wind to die down before going out).
        >
        > When I came back, I looked at the wind statistics for the same
        period I
        > was there and it is about 5 - 7 knots below my experience.
        >
        > I end up kitesurf 70% of the time and the other 30% couldn't
        kitesurf
        > becasue the wind was too strong.
        >
        > I normally kitesurf 50% of the time at Carabete during this time
        of the
        > year.
        >
        > Hung.
      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Ken, I agree! For travelling, we should bring as many kites as we can. For me I should have brought at least 2 kites: a 8 and 14 m2. That quiver should at
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          Ken,

          I agree!

          For travelling, we should bring as many kites as we can. For me I
          should have brought at least 2 kites: a 8 and 14 m2. That quiver
          should at least cover the wind range from 9 to 25 knots or me.

          P.S., modern kite wind range are so great that I hope that one day we
          can travel with only 1 kite.

          Hung.

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...> wrote:
          > Hung,
          >
          > I hope others learn from your mistake - Always take a full kite
          > quiver when traveling. At least you were fortunate and were able to
          > ride later in the day. Just think how disappointed you would have
          > been if the conditions were perfect for a 18 - 20M kite all day
          > every day and all you had was a 14.
          >
          > A friend of mine spent a week in Maui on the beach because he didn't
          > pack a 20M kite. I was blasted along the Oregon coast because my
          > smallest kite was a 10M. I have learned that you need a full quiver
          > because you never know what the local wind conditions will be. I
          > have had trips where I flew every kite in my bag and I went home
          > happy. For me that means 5 kites - 25, 20, 16, 12, and 8. I leave
          > out the 25 when going to places with a difficult launch, but it is a
          > must in light wind locales like S. Ca. If I anticipate strong winds
          > I may bring along a 10 as well and leave out the 25. However, let
          > me say it again, you never can be sure about the wind. I say better
          > a light session or a nuclear one, than none at all.
          >
          > Kenny
          >
          > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
          > > Just came back from a family vacation from Varadero, Cuba (this is
          > a
          > > family vacation so I have no say about where we go)
          > >
          > > I did some research before going (looking at some wind statistics
          > at
          > > Varadero in the last few years) and thought that kitesurfing is
          > not that
          > > great so I packed only 1 kite (Gastraa GSX 14 m2) and 1 board.
          > >
          > > The &^(*( wind statistics was so wrong. The wind at Varadero was
          > so
          > > good that I couldn't kite a few days because the wind was so
          > strong for
          > > my 14 m2 kite (for those days I had to wait until the end of the
          > days -
          > > after 5 PM - for the wind to die down before going out).
          > >
          > > When I came back, I looked at the wind statistics for the same
          > period I
          > > was there and it is about 5 - 7 knots below my experience.
          > >
          > > I end up kitesurf 70% of the time and the other 30% couldn't
          > kitesurf
          > > becasue the wind was too strong.
          > >
          > > I normally kitesurf 50% of the time at Carabete during this time
          > of the
          > > year.
          > >
          > > Hung.
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.