A few Board Questions...

  • mx5alan
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 24, 2003
      I am currently building a Ply TT.
      Already got my Yacht Varnish, but would like suggestions about
      painting the board, Do most home-mades just get +3 coats of varnish
      or also a fancy bright coloured paint job. ?

      My reason for asking is how visible is the board if not painted a
      bright colour, but left natural wood colour (Pine/Darkish Yellow ?).
      Read on other forum that some colours make it very hard to find/spot
      your board in the surf.

      also

      F-One FreeSpirit Directional board

      Has anyone got or use one of these boards ?
      Would be interested to read some short reviews or know if it is any
      good. Maybe for wave riding and general sailing ?
      (my weight = 73kg)

      Have seen a few Kitesurfing packages which include one of these
      boards, or should I just get the kite and build my own ply's ?

      Cheers
      AJ *<:-)
    • aussiedurko
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
        I've been wanting an excuse to share my experience with homemade ply
        TTs.
        Varnished ply would be hard to spot in the water. Go to a ship
        Chandlery and they will put you onto the right stuff of any colour.
        I have built a LARGE TT from 4mm ply for training purposes. It's
        3000mm by 50mm and weighs just under 5kg. This board ollows me to
        put a beginner on the water in light wind,with a small kite,and keep
        it safe. I've also found its great for "just having a go" myself. No
        jumps, no spins, nothing fancy. Just having a go when everyone else
        is sitting on the bank, twiddling their thumbs and toes. I use lots
        of fins, especially on the heal side/middle of the board for getting
        up wind. It seems to be a natural upwind board as I must consciously
        turn the board downwind all the time.
        Make sure you use good marine quality materials. Don't try to cut
        costs.
        Durko