Re: [ksurf] kite leash to harness

  • Henryk Majewski
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
      I am with Brian !!!
      This system should not be allowed to be used at all.
      It had been introduced in responce to the leashless riding on the
      competitions.
      It is only a half solution.
      You havn't got any depower with this system so it makes potentially
      dangerous.
      After its deployment you are having powered up kite attached to your leash.
      When shit will happen you may endup dragged by the kite
      or worse the run away kite may hit someone on its way.
      I have seen a few cases of a run away kites when leash broke.

      Henryk

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Henryk Majewski" <henas@p...> wrote:
        > I am with Brian !!!
        > It is only a half solution.
        > You havn't got any depower with this system so it
        > makes potentially dangerous.
        > After its deployment you are having powered up
        > kite attached to your leash.

        This system shouldn't even be called a leash .. it's
        just a tether to make sure the rider stays attached
        to the kite - even when he has no control.
        I can understand comp riders wanting to use it ..
        If they miss the handle then one of three things is
        going to happen after the backwards out-of-control
        drag starts .. a) they manage to turn rouund and
        regain the bar while the kite is still flying,
        b) the kite eventually crashes and they relaunch
        or c) the kite stays powered and drags them
        out-of-control into land or other hard objects.
        I guess a) and b) are acceptable outcomes at the
        risk c) of if your place in the comp depends on it.

        However this system could probably be combined with
        a true depower leash and still allow handle passes.
        The chicken loop could have a quick release above
        the tether with a regular spinning leash attached,
        not to the harness but to the top of loop of the
        chicken loop. In addition to the regular deployment
        ball/handle the quick-release has an extension line
        to deploy it which runs parallel, or inside the
        the tether line down to the harness where there
        is a large loop or handle to pull.

        Then if the rider blows a handlepass he can see what
        happens on the tether and hope for scenario a) or b)
        to stay in the comp but if he gets scenario c) he
        can pull the extension handle and bail to a true
        leash.

        Steve T.
      • sanjaochkalle
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
          hi!

          im thinking of bying equipment for kitesurfing (board and kite).
          staing i southern india im off to sri lanka anytime, and wonder if
          thats a good move..
          is the equipment cheaper to buy in sri lanka, at the factories?

          where are the fact. situated?

          what brands are better to buy as a beginner?
          im going to use the equipment i denmark, how large a kite should i
          buy? (weight 70 kg and 100kg)

          should i buy a 4-line kite and a bidirectional board?

          how much should it cost? what are the prices in europe?

          thanks for any answers, Sanja from SWE
        • jimbocanniff
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 23, 2003
            OK, thanks for answering my question....not just debating whether or
            not it should be allowed...blah blah. I got my answer from another
            forum. And one option is to attach the leash to only one flying line
            (not both)...so in that case it is a real leash...

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "theflyingtinman"