Need SYDNEY kitesurf info

  • ichiman1
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2003
      Have been kiting all around Botany Bay for a while in every
      conceivable wind direction, would like to expand my horizons...

      1. Is Cronulla OK on a NE? How about SE? Is the shorebreak
      dangerous for an intermediate?

      2. Ditto for Maroubra. Which is better?

      3. Is Manly open to kiting? Good on SE, NE?

      4. Is there any spot in the northern beaches that works on a
      westerly/SW/NW?

      Thanks very much...
    • Kite Power (Sydney)
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2003
        Hi
        If you live in Sydney/NSW call me on 02 9529 6894, otherwise check the AKSA
        website, www.aksa.com.au

        Answers below

        > >Have been kiting all around Botany Bay for a while in every
        > >conceivable wind direction, would like to expand my horizons...
        > >
        > >1. Is Cronulla OK on a NE? How about SE? Is the shorebreak
        > >dangerous for an intermediate?

        Cronulla is one of the safest locations in Sydney in a SE, because it is
        cross onshore, and there are no obstacles downwind. It can be hard to get
        out the back if the surf is big, but the further north you kite in the
        shorebreak, the easier it get to go out the back. Over at Boat Harbour (NE
        from Wanda, there is the reef called Voodoo, it is awesome flat water inside
        the reefs at low tide, and incredible waves to ride if you are game. A crash
        out here is sketchy because you are a long way from shore if you are on the
        outer reef.)
        In NE the wind can be a bit gusty close to shore, but is good once you are a
        100M or so offshore, it can be cross off to cross shore at Wanda to awesome
        cross the reef at Voodoo/Boat Harbour.
        Recommended for intermediate and above, but good for begginers so long as
        they stay close to shore especially if the waves are big. (and they can get
        real big here!)

        > >2. Ditto for Maroubra. Which is better?

        Very dangerous and crowded beach, 30-50M high cliff are at each end of the
        beach, local surfers are aggressive about the breaks. Should only be kited
        if you are prepared to have a kitemare on the rocks, beware of swimmers and
        kiters once inside the wave breaking areas. Lifeguards will kick you out if
        you kook it up at all!

        > >3. Is Manly open to kiting? Good on SE, NE?

        Kiteflying is banned at Manly beach while the lifeguards are around they
        will enforce the ban, after they go home you may get away with it. It is a
        very crowded beach with swimmers and surfers, it is one of the most visited
        places in Sydney by tourists. I have kited here, and it is good, but you
        need to be intermediate and above, stay out of the waves just kite out the
        back. People swim all day and night here, lots of people, lots of drunk
        people around New Years and January, if you kite in the waves you will
        probably hit someone eventually!

        > >4. Is there any spot in the northern beaches that works on a
        > >westerly/SW/NW?

        Longreef works in S to SW, can hold big waves, need to be intermediate or
        above.
        Palm Beach, Pittwater side can work in NW, but you have a seaplane landing
        area immediately downwind of the launch and the pilot is very nervous about
        kites, and has caused some issues in the past. I do not recommend the place
        at all.

        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        www.kitepower.com.au

        AKSA.com.au
        http://www.aksa.com.au
      • ichiman1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2004
          Thanks Steve.
          I'm already one of your happy customers (which one? Keep you
          guessing...)

          How much east do you need on a NE to make Wanda beach in Cronulla
          reasonably sailable? I like to stay within swim distance of the
          beach.

          Jan. 1 I was in Kurnell about 3pm and it was freaky - 25 knots at the
          beach, then 2 knots 100m out, then 25 knots again 500 meters out (I'm
          not kiting that far out...). At Dolls Point I think it was 15 knots
          for some reason....

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power \(Sydney\)"