RE: [ksurf] changing theequipment...

  • michael.klotz@providence.org
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2003
      Aaron,
      I just started kiteboarding this past summer in the Gorge as well as one week in Maui. I have North Rhinos (8 & 12 M2) and have trouble re-launching them, but anticipate experience will help. I like them fine, but have not really spent much time on other brands. I did notice the popularity of Cabrinha kites in Maui and the Recon system is intriguing. Prices are good so if I had to do it over again I would seriously consider that brand (you don't see many in the Gorge). I bought my kites (03's) used thru Iwindsurf.com and have been happy with them (I bought locally so I could see them first).
      I bought a used Slingshot Drake board (143cm?) and I love it, but anticipate downsizing in a season or two.
      I ride in 15-25 MPH winds and the Gorge is typically gusty.
      I use a helmet, life vest (designed for kayaking with a very high cut), and carry a knife. I wish the pros out there would set better examples by using safety gear.
      Good luck and ride safely.
      Michael

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 10, 2003
        Aaron,

        I spent a week in France this last summer at a kitesurfing class,
        learning to waterlaunch with 2 line kites in deep choppy waters. The
        kites were always falling out of the sky. Then I rented a Flysurfer
        foil for a day, it was hard to relaunch too, and if it gets water
        logged your stuck with a sea anchor. Then I tried a friends 4 line
        kite with trim loop and realised a LEI doesn´t need to fall out of
        the sky. I also realised you need your own kit that is set up for
        you, and footstraps that are easy to get into.

        So I broke down and bought a Naish Aero 2, 12 and 18m2 with UDS bar.
        Made my own board 150x42cm and fitted it with 3, 2.5 inch on each
        end for good grip.

        Then I took a charter trip to El Gouna in Egypt last week. Shallow
        water and steady winds.

        Lessons learned:
        1. UDS works well. Lots of de-power and rode whole week in "free
        bar" mode, never hooked into trim loop, just used "leash" for de-
        power. De-power helps when holding kite in air and starting. Safety
        release works well. No leash to get all tangled like it did in
        France all the time, even around neck.
        2. Learn in shallow water. Good flyers just don´t drop the kite,
        its that simple. Eventually we will learn to not to drop the
        kite ,just stay in the shallows.
        3. Water launch is not too difficult if you practice it, the right
        technique is needed and a good wind. Try it in the shallows first.
        4. Use a board that will plane easily so it will forgive poor
        starting technique. The board will submarine just after you get
        pulled up and lose a little kite power, before you get the kite back
        into the power zone. My 150 x 42 was a good fun ride and I kept
        upwind after one days flying.
        5. VERY important. Use a board with good sized fins. This gives a
        good bite so if you lose an edge you don´t fly sliding over the
        water and crash. There is a loss of loosness but it´s better than
        sliding on your butt all the time. Better to be able to get up and
        learn to control the kite without too much concern over edging. I
        tried several boards in France and Egypt and had the same problems
        with sliding all over. These boards had small fins.
        6. My 18m2 was way big for me.(72kgs) I used the 12m2 most of the
        time. When I put up the 18 the wind would crank up a few knots and
        I´d be really overpowered on my larger board and not good enough
        have control. Better to learn to fly underpowered with
        good "sineing" and save your bucks for when you´re better next
        year.
        7. All the kites from the majors are nice products. Everyone was out
        on Cabrinhas, Gaastras, Naish, Takoons and they all were having fun.
        Locals use Slingshots here in Sweden and have fun too. Just get a
        kite.
        8. Use a life vest and a helmet

        unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com or go to
        www.yahoogroups.com/group/kitesurf ==