Re: Interseting Articles on Building Pyramids with Kites

  • ringokiter
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2003
      Nice :-)

      ha-ha

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "theflyingtinman"
      <theflyingtinman@y...> wrote:
      > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, geoff hopkins <geodixiesimba@y...>
      wrote:

      > > Found some interesting articles, and pictures of
      > > people at CalTech using kites to raise Obelisks. They
      > > have a theory that the Egyptians may have used kites
      > > to raise the huge boulders.
      > >
      > > Read more about it here:
      > > http://www.kitecorpus.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=271#271
      > >
      > > Have excerpts, and multiple links to pictures, and
      > > diagrams on how they did it.
      > >
      > > REally interesting.
      >
      > The really interesting thing is why CalTech could putits
      > name to such a ludicrous theory and why anyone would fund
      > attempts to 'duplicate' something that almost certainly
      > never happened.
      > Even given the impossibly minisule chance that some
      > incredibly bright ancient aeronautical engineer could
      > design such a kite from what would he build it. Even today,
      > with the benefit of a few thousand more years of technolgy
      > and engineering experience we could not build a kite that
      > would lift even a few hundred pounds without using materials
      > that have only been in existence for less than sixty years.
      > Not to mention that desert winds--where all this is supposed to
      > have taken place--are about as inconsistent in strength and
      > direction as wind can get.)
      >
      > Okay, lets give the Egyptians the benefit of the doubt.
      > They have an anachronistic aerospace engineer, they somehow
      > got their hands on thousands of meters of super strong, ultra
      > lightweight papyrus and a set of freak meteorlogical conditions
      > converge to produce a few (hundred) years of relatively useable
      > wind in the desert (of course absolutelty NO evidence of such
      > engineering skills, materials or weather conditions has ever
      > been found) ... Now - how big a kite do you need to lift pieces
      > of stone weighing thousands of tons? And just how easy is such
      > a behemoth going to be to fly? Don't forget when it's not
      > lifting those thousands of tons of stone its still developing
      > thousand of tons of pull which has to be controlled.
      >
      > But just minute .. what we DO know--what we have ample evidence
      > of--is they had hundreds of thousands of willing (and presumably
      > some not so willing) laborers, and lots of very long ropes.
      > With a few simple commands the power of those laborers can be
      > started, stopped and directed exactly where required without a
      > single aerospace engineer in sight - and not even a
      > handkerchiefsworth of ripstop nylon fluttering in the infrequent
      > breeze.
      >
      > I know William of Ockham was not born until thousands of years
      > after the Egyptians raised their obelisks in the desert, but if
      > ever an out-on-limb theory deserved amputating by "Occam's Razor"
      > it is the theory of kite-powered pyramid builders.
      >
      > Steve T.
    • lynchmob000000
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2003
        Hey, what about the tax dollars funding this research at a public
        institution? And they say there's no room to cut the state budget in
        California.

        I recently read of a gov't funded study that discovered that college
        students not only drink more than the average person, but their
        drinks are also mixed much stronger. Who would have imagined that?

        I have a theory that ancient Hawaiians used kites to transport large
        loads of taro root from one end of Maui to the other. Some of loads
        weighed as much as 200 lbs. and were placed on small boards
        and "skimmed" along the ocean surface from the Hana region to region
        now known as Kahului where the root was distributed to the general
        population.

        I'll need about $500,000 fund my initial research. A sophisticated
        testing facility will be established in the centrally located town of
        Pa'ia. Rigorous testing of various kite designs and materials will
        be required during the first several years. Once I'm done with this
        initial phase of testing, I think I'll have enough data to
        demonstrate that kites can indeed be used for transportation. This
        should easily support a second round of funding.

        Maybe a nice landlocked school like Univ. of Kansas can provide the
        grant. Makes about as much sense as CalTech funding research about
        how pyramids are built.

        wrote:

        > Found some interesting articles, and pictures of
        > people at CalTech using kites to raise Obelisks. They
        > have a theory that the Egyptians may have used kites
        > to raise the huge boulders.
        >
        > Read more about it here:
        > http://www.kitecorpus.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=271#271
        >
        > Have excerpts, and multiple links to pictures, and
        > diagrams on how they did it.
        >
        > REally interesting.
        >
        > geo
        > kitecorpus.com