Re: Interseting Articles on Building Pyramids with Kites

  • hink_trent
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2003
      Let's see they used steel scaffolding, metal pulleys (probably steel)
      and a modern kite design that probably is made of synthetic
      materials. There's not really any evidence that ancient egyptians
      even knew what kites were.

      Very interesting. Total BS as far as science goes, but interesting
      nontheless. Somebody ought to sit those guys down and talk to them
      about Occam's Razor.

      Trent

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, geoff hopkins <geodixiesimba@y...>
      wrote:

      > Found some interesting articles, and pictures of
      > people at CalTech using kites to raise Obelisks. They
      > have a theory that the Egyptians may have used kites
      > to raise the huge boulders.
      >
      > Read more about it here:
      > http://www.kitecorpus.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=271#271
      >
      > Have excerpts, and multiple links to pictures, and
      > diagrams on how they did it.
      >
      > REally interesting.
      >
      > geo
      > kitecorpus.com

      > Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      > http://companion.yahoo.com/
    • theflyingtinman
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2003
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, geoff hopkins <geodixiesimba@y...> wrote:

        > Found some interesting articles, and pictures of
        > people at CalTech using kites to raise Obelisks. They
        > have a theory that the Egyptians may have used kites
        > to raise the huge boulders.
        >
        > Read more about it here:
        > http://www.kitecorpus.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=271#271
        >
        > Have excerpts, and multiple links to pictures, and
        > diagrams on how they did it.
        >
        > REally interesting.

        The really interesting thing is why CalTech could putits
        name to such a ludicrous theory and why anyone would fund
        attempts to 'duplicate' something that almost certainly
        never happened.
        Even given the impossibly minisule chance that some
        incredibly bright ancient aeronautical engineer could
        design such a kite from what would he build it. Even today,
        with the benefit of a few thousand more years of technolgy
        and engineering experience we could not build a kite that
        would lift even a few hundred pounds without using materials
        that have only been in existence for less than sixty years.
        Not to mention that desert winds--where all this is supposed to
        have taken place--are about as inconsistent in strength and
        direction as wind can get.)

        Okay, lets give the Egyptians the benefit of the doubt.
        They have an anachronistic aerospace engineer, they somehow
        got their hands on thousands of meters of super strong, ultra
        lightweight papyrus and a set of freak meteorlogical conditions
        converge to produce a few (hundred) years of relatively useable
        wind in the desert (of course absolutelty NO evidence of such
        engineering skills, materials or weather conditions has ever
        been found) ... Now - how big a kite do you need to lift pieces
        of stone weighing thousands of tons? And just how easy is such
        a behemoth going to be to fly? Don't forget when it's not
        lifting those thousands of tons of stone its still developing
        thousand of tons of pull which has to be controlled.

        But just minute .. what we DO know--what we have ample evidence
        of--is they had hundreds of thousands of willing (and presumably
        some not so willing) laborers, and lots of very long ropes.
        With a few simple commands the power of those laborers can be
        started, stopped and directed exactly where required without a
        single aerospace engineer in sight - and not even a
        handkerchiefsworth of ripstop nylon fluttering in the infrequent
        breeze.

        I know William of Ockham was not born until thousands of years
        after the Egyptians raised their obelisks in the desert, but if
        ever an out-on-limb theory deserved amputating by "Occam's Razor"
        it is the theory of kite-powered pyramid builders.

        Steve T.
      • ringokiter
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2003
          Nice :-)

          ha-ha

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "theflyingtinman"
          <theflyingtinman@y...> wrote:
          > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, geoff hopkins <geodixiesimba@y...>
          wrote:

          > > Found some interesting articles, and pictures of
          > > people at CalTech using kites to raise Obelisks. They
          > > have a theory that the Egyptians may have used kites
          > > to raise the huge boulders.
          > >
          > > Read more about it here:
          > > http://www.kitecorpus.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=271#271
          > >
          > > Have excerpts, and multiple links to pictures, and
          > > diagrams on how they did it.
          > >
          > > REally interesting.
          >
          > The really interesting thing is why CalTech could putits
          > name to such a ludicrous theory and why anyone would fund
          > attempts to 'duplicate' something that almost certainly
          > never happened.
          > Even given the impossibly minisule chance that some
          > incredibly bright ancient aeronautical engineer could
          > design such a kite from what would he build it. Even today,
          > with the benefit of a few thousand more years of technolgy
          > and engineering experience we could not build a kite that
          > would lift even a few hundred pounds without using materials
          > that have only been in existence for less than sixty years.
          > Not to mention that desert winds--where all this is supposed to
          > have taken place--are about as inconsistent in strength and
          > direction as wind can get.)
          >
          > Okay, lets give the Egyptians the benefit of the doubt.
          > They have an anachronistic aerospace engineer, they somehow
          > got their hands on thousands of meters of super strong, ultra
          > lightweight papyrus and a set of freak meteorlogical conditions
          > converge to produce a few (hundred) years of relatively useable
          > wind in the desert (of course absolutelty NO evidence of such
          > engineering skills, materials or weather conditions has ever
          > been found) ... Now - how big a kite do you need to lift pieces
          > of stone weighing thousands of tons? And just how easy is such
          > a behemoth going to be to fly? Don't forget when it's not
          > lifting those thousands of tons of stone its still developing
          > thousand of tons of pull which has to be controlled.
          >
          > But just minute .. what we DO know--what we have ample evidence
          > of--is they had hundreds of thousands of willing (and presumably
          > some not so willing) laborers, and lots of very long ropes.
          > With a few simple commands the power of those laborers can be
          > started, stopped and directed exactly where required without a
          > single aerospace engineer in sight - and not even a
          > handkerchiefsworth of ripstop nylon fluttering in the infrequent
          > breeze.
          >
          > I know William of Ockham was not born until thousands of years
          > after the Egyptians raised their obelisks in the desert, but if
          > ever an out-on-limb theory deserved amputating by "Occam's Razor"
          > it is the theory of kite-powered pyramid builders.
          >
          > Steve T.
        • lynchmob000000
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2003
            Hey, what about the tax dollars funding this research at a public
            institution? And they say there's no room to cut the state budget in
            California.

            I recently read of a gov't funded study that discovered that college
            students not only drink more than the average person, but their
            drinks are also mixed much stronger. Who would have imagined that?

            I have a theory that ancient Hawaiians used kites to transport large
            loads of taro root from one end of Maui to the other. Some of loads
            weighed as much as 200 lbs. and were placed on small boards
            and "skimmed" along the ocean surface from the Hana region to region
            now known as Kahului where the root was distributed to the general
            population.

            I'll need about $500,000 fund my initial research. A sophisticated
            testing facility will be established in the centrally located town of
            Pa'ia. Rigorous testing of various kite designs and materials will
            be required during the first several years. Once I'm done with this
            initial phase of testing, I think I'll have enough data to
            demonstrate that kites can indeed be used for transportation. This
            should easily support a second round of funding.

            Maybe a nice landlocked school like Univ. of Kansas can provide the
            grant. Makes about as much sense as CalTech funding research about
            how pyramids are built.

            wrote:

            > Found some interesting articles, and pictures of
            > people at CalTech using kites to raise Obelisks. They
            > have a theory that the Egyptians may have used kites
            > to raise the huge boulders.
            >
            > Read more about it here:
            > http://www.kitecorpus.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=271#271
            >
            > Have excerpts, and multiple links to pictures, and
            > diagrams on how they did it.
            >
            > REally interesting.
            >
            > geo
            > kitecorpus.com