Re: [ksurf] Re: are boxers low aspect high performance ??

  • Reinaldo Garcia
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
      i have a 17m co2 in miami.
      ive had 2 problems with the recon features:

      (1)
      today i was a bit overpowered (20-24kts)
      dropped the kite. when trying to relaunch with the recon systm i got
      tossed/dragged/thrown around quite a bit untill i realized it the lines on
      one side were somehow shorter.
      by then i had lost sight of my board in the waves and i had to body drag out
      of the water.
      during this time i had a very hard time controlling the kite and almost lost
      my board.

      on land i checked the recon system and found one side had jammed, the recon
      bullet was out of place and had tied up.
      i was lucky i was out in deep water when this happened, far from land and
      "hard objects".

      (2)
      as for self-launching from sand, i once left the kite for about 10 min
      flapping in the wind. when launching, the same thing happened and the kite
      did the "death spin". though that time i blamed myself for not walking the
      lines, i just did a visual check right before launching.

      ----

      the whole experience makes me think the relaunch part of recon is probably a
      bit too complex. (the depower feature ive had no problems)

      conclusion:
      (1) i will avoid using the recon to water relaunch
      (2) always always check the recon system on the side of the kite (bullet,
      etc) make sure it's not tangled by the wind right before launching.

      have fun...
    • Reinaldo Garcia
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
        i just realized that recon "tangled bullet" issue may have been the reason
        why alex's kite suddenly launched off the water. he would have had no time
        to realize the lines were shorter, what was going on and how to control the
        kite.

        ( ** it's just a thought because i've only heard couple of rumors about how
        that accident happened)
      • Emilia Naoumova
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
          Hi Guys,

          I am looking for a site where where I can download some pictures of the new Slinshot Fuel Splitstrut kite. I have checked already the side of Slingshot but I can't copie a picture from there. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

          Thank you
          Emilia

          Reinaldo Garcia <rgarcia@...> wrote:
[...]

          http://www.KiteHIGH.com
          ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
          ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
          Em: support@...

        • whysail
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
            I have a 12 and 9 Boxer, and have flown the 16. I too like mid aspect
            kites and really like the boxers, expecially in the small sizes. They
            come with 22? meters of lines, and you won't be able to tell the
            difference. (I typically fly Fuels with 27m). We sell them as our
            beginner kites, but my intentions are to get them in the surf. They
            are stable, turn around them selves(underloop easy)and can be flown
            overpowered. It is almost impossible to overfly the window. (see why
            I want it in the surf!)You won't jump as high as an X4, Rhino 4, but
            you'll stay in the air as long.

            I love Slingshots, but the Boxer is a way better kite than the GTO
            imho.

            I suggest youm try one. You can try one of ours if in Houston, or
            talk Shane or Cliff in SPI into trying one of theirs. They are
            hosting the demo in FEB again if you can wait that long, Naish will
            be there for sure.

            Charlie
          • whysail
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
              Go to site, open the "check out 2004 product". The PDF program will
              open, go to PIC you want and click on the box at top next to the
              hand, it will say select text or select picture, pick picture, click
              on pic you want and it will be in your clipboard.

              Have fun, the '04 kites great!
              Charlie
            • Kite Power (Sydney)
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
                Hi
                Boxers are by the 2003/2004 standard, medium aspect ratio kites, 1-2 years
                ago they would have been rated high ar kites!
                Ar is only one part of a kites design, you should never judge any kite with
                an ar over 5 to 1 and dismiss it as too high ar.
                4-5 to 1 is medium, and 1-3 is low, in kites IMO
                The Boxer is a great all round kite, and Naish have decided to mmke a bit
                less money from them, to retain market share, thats the truth about them!
                The kite turns tight with medium to light bar pressure, forward flight speed
                is not the fastest, but as good or better than many so called high
                performance/high AR kites from other makers.
                It has a great safety system, and I would recommend it to anyone, of any
                skill level.
                I agree that we need to promote safe kiting much better, too many desperate
                players in the market now, too many poorly trained, uncaring instructors,
                too many team riders dumping product on the beaches, often with no real
                lesson, if it keeps up there will be no-where left to do the sport!
                Cya and
                Goodwinds
                Steve McCormack
                www.kitepower.com.au
              • Philip Mann
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 8, 2003
                  I have been flying the boxers for a few months and am very happy with
                  the performamce.
                  It is important to know what I like to see if this pertains to you.
                  I like moderate aspect kites, I like a kite that stays back in the
                  window a bit so i can load up against it quickly. I like a
                  predictable kite as I like to spin and have my eyes off the kite a
                  bit.

                  The Boxer is a high performance kite and it is lower aspect.
                  It jumps surpsingly well.

                  Great kite for aerial transitions, spins and to whip sytle jumps.

                  Hein, I owe you one, so If you want me to send you a kite to try let
                  me know.

                  Philip
                  kitesite.net

                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "wyndjunkie2000" <wyndjunkie@m...>