Re: are boxers low aspect high performance ??

  • wyndjunkie2000
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
      is there anyone out there that knows anything about the boxer
      kite,or has seen them from a distance even. seems like there's no
      one on the other end unless your selling some safety idea... leash
      strap or some gimick that won't save people anyway!!! stay away from
      large imovable objects. hows that for a safety system. not trying to
      be rude at all I've flown hanggliders for years and all this safety
      stuff is a mask for good common sense. (IN FLYING)dont do arabatics
      under 1000 ft, it takes 500 feet to realize somthing isn't right.
      200 feet to respond to that, and not much left for the chute to
      deploy. don't kite with any object at least a football field away.
      if you do you are taking your chances, you most likely will not have
      the time or the sense to respond... a shackle with a release ball
      and an o shit loop is hard to beat. only thing better is common
      sense. no disrespect to anyone killed or injured. this(EXTREME)
      sport has risks. (not to say there aren't freak accidents). I have
      lost 3 good friends in flying and again common sense would have
      saved every one of them. this is a high risk sport treat it as
      such... now any one know anything about the boxer kite?? J

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "wyndjunkie2000" <wyndjunkie@m...>
      wrote:
      > or are they a one size fits all I have a friend that lives in
      maui
      > and according to him some of the people on the beach that could
      have
      > the kites of there choice are in fact choosing and riding
      > boxers... could it be that boxers are just like the aero 1 with
      the
      > turning ability of the aero 2. I am just alittle confused as to
      why
      > I might need an x3 or v4 when some of the top riders are riding
      > boxers who knows they may just be out of cash this season.
      > highly unlikely!. I would love some input from some experienced
      > riders that own or have ridden the boxer, maybe compared to other
      > naish kites. I have read info on all and have ridden everything
      > but the v4 and the boxer. naish has a wonderful way of
      highlighting
      > the kites attributes without ever really telling you anything I
      > think the boxer might be a low aspect high performance kite sold
      at
      > a low price point just to attract new blood J
    • Hein van Swaay
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
        I'm interested in the Boxer too. I currently ride
        SS GTOs and I love a lower aspect kite. The GTO's
        won't be available in 2004. (big mistake IMO)

        I ride unshackled and with my kite low and in the power.
        mostly with a much smaller kite than my bros who
        are scared to death to have their kite swing through
        the power.

        I love to do unhooked moves. It opens up a whole new
        chapter of fun stuff to try.

        I looked at the Cabrinha but the Recon is to complicated
        and prone to failures plus I don't want their power lock
        bar. I saw a guy get lofted when he set up his Recon wrong
        and had the line at the trailing edge partially tensioned.

        Maybe I can talk South Padre Island Kiteboarding into
        letting me try a Boxer. They have some in stock and
        I'll let you know if I get a chance to ride one.

        In regards to your view of kiting safety...

        I agree totally. In fact, all the recent flurry of
        'safety systems' designed by people who aren't even
        real engineers is making this sport 'seem' safe to many
        newbies. They think they can detach when in fact they
        can't. That's been sadly proven by many experienced
        kiters who have died by lofting and/or dragging. I've
        seen many people get lofted and dragged. It only takes
        one hard object to turn these seemingly innocent and
        sometimes even comical incidents into a tragedy.

        Kitesurfing companies need to apply some serious failure
        modes and effects analysis. And do a much better job making
        people aware of the REAL dangers that are related to
        location and wind conditions. I don't think either is
        being done. This is not windsurfing, snowboarding or
        wakeboarding and any analogies made to these sports is only
        further masking the risks. It's more like hang gliding,
        acrobatic flying and parachuting! When two or more things
        go wrong in those sports; you die!

        Your advice about staying away from hard objects is
        right on. I see people hopping up the beach with
        their kite overhead all the time. Many times right
        in front of a variety of solid skull smashing objects.

        When are people going to learn!? I am amazed by the
        way many riders totally ignore or disregard obvious
        dangers.

        -Hein van Swaay

        http://www.KiteHIGH.com
        ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
        ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
        Em: support@...

        or go to www.yahoogroups.com/group/kitesurf ==

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • woodman_k
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
          Hein

          I just got a 14m nitro and had 3 days on it and so far I like the
          system and kite. The bar and the long center leader bugs me a bit too
          but once your going it looks as clean as it can be.....spinning
          leash blabla. The velcro release must be always checked preflight as
          that seems a bit sensitive to user error!!!

          Please explain what happened to te guy who set up the recon wrong.
          Was there sand jamming the leaders causing one side to be powered and
          the other fully stalled? I would imagine that would cause havoc on
          launch! I have self launched 3 times now on sand and no probs but I
          am concerned about this part.

          Cheers
          Stan

          PS Where can I get some texalium?

          unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > or go to www.yahoogroups.com/group/kitesurf ==
          >
          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Reinaldo Garcia
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
            i have a 17m co2 in miami.
            ive had 2 problems with the recon features:

            (1)
            today i was a bit overpowered (20-24kts)
            dropped the kite. when trying to relaunch with the recon systm i got
            tossed/dragged/thrown around quite a bit untill i realized it the lines on
            one side were somehow shorter.
            by then i had lost sight of my board in the waves and i had to body drag out
            of the water.
            during this time i had a very hard time controlling the kite and almost lost
            my board.

            on land i checked the recon system and found one side had jammed, the recon
            bullet was out of place and had tied up.
            i was lucky i was out in deep water when this happened, far from land and
            "hard objects".

            (2)
            as for self-launching from sand, i once left the kite for about 10 min
            flapping in the wind. when launching, the same thing happened and the kite
            did the "death spin". though that time i blamed myself for not walking the
            lines, i just did a visual check right before launching.

            ----

            the whole experience makes me think the relaunch part of recon is probably a
            bit too complex. (the depower feature ive had no problems)

            conclusion:
            (1) i will avoid using the recon to water relaunch
            (2) always always check the recon system on the side of the kite (bullet,
            etc) make sure it's not tangled by the wind right before launching.

            have fun...
          • Reinaldo Garcia
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
              i just realized that recon "tangled bullet" issue may have been the reason
              why alex's kite suddenly launched off the water. he would have had no time
              to realize the lines were shorter, what was going on and how to control the
              kite.

              ( ** it's just a thought because i've only heard couple of rumors about how
              that accident happened)
            • Emilia Naoumova
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
                Hi Guys,

                I am looking for a site where where I can download some pictures of the new Slinshot Fuel Splitstrut kite. I have checked already the side of Slingshot but I can't copie a picture from there. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

                Thank you
                Emilia

                Reinaldo Garcia <rgarcia@...> wrote:
[...]

              • whysail
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
                  I have a 12 and 9 Boxer, and have flown the 16. I too like mid aspect
                  kites and really like the boxers, expecially in the small sizes. They
                  come with 22? meters of lines, and you won't be able to tell the
                  difference. (I typically fly Fuels with 27m). We sell them as our
                  beginner kites, but my intentions are to get them in the surf. They
                  are stable, turn around them selves(underloop easy)and can be flown
                  overpowered. It is almost impossible to overfly the window. (see why
                  I want it in the surf!)You won't jump as high as an X4, Rhino 4, but
                  you'll stay in the air as long.

                  I love Slingshots, but the Boxer is a way better kite than the GTO
                  imho.

                  I suggest youm try one. You can try one of ours if in Houston, or
                  talk Shane or Cliff in SPI into trying one of theirs. They are
                  hosting the demo in FEB again if you can wait that long, Naish will
                  be there for sure.

                  Charlie
                • whysail
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
                    Go to site, open the "check out 2004 product". The PDF program will
                    open, go to PIC you want and click on the box at top next to the
                    hand, it will say select text or select picture, pick picture, click
                    on pic you want and it will be in your clipboard.

                    Have fun, the '04 kites great!
                    Charlie
                  • Kite Power (Sydney)
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
                      Hi
                      Boxers are by the 2003/2004 standard, medium aspect ratio kites, 1-2 years
                      ago they would have been rated high ar kites!
                      Ar is only one part of a kites design, you should never judge any kite with
                      an ar over 5 to 1 and dismiss it as too high ar.
                      4-5 to 1 is medium, and 1-3 is low, in kites IMO
                      The Boxer is a great all round kite, and Naish have decided to mmke a bit
                      less money from them, to retain market share, thats the truth about them!
                      The kite turns tight with medium to light bar pressure, forward flight speed
                      is not the fastest, but as good or better than many so called high
                      performance/high AR kites from other makers.
                      It has a great safety system, and I would recommend it to anyone, of any
                      skill level.
                      I agree that we need to promote safe kiting much better, too many desperate
                      players in the market now, too many poorly trained, uncaring instructors,
                      too many team riders dumping product on the beaches, often with no real
                      lesson, if it keeps up there will be no-where left to do the sport!
                      Cya and
                      Goodwinds
                      Steve McCormack
                      www.kitepower.com.au
                    • Philip Mann
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 8, 2003
                        I have been flying the boxers for a few months and am very happy with
                        the performamce.
                        It is important to know what I like to see if this pertains to you.
                        I like moderate aspect kites, I like a kite that stays back in the
                        window a bit so i can load up against it quickly. I like a
                        predictable kite as I like to spin and have my eyes off the kite a
                        bit.

                        The Boxer is a high performance kite and it is lower aspect.
                        It jumps surpsingly well.

                        Great kite for aerial transitions, spins and to whip sytle jumps.

                        Hein, I owe you one, so If you want me to send you a kite to try let
                        me know.

                        Philip
                        kitesite.net