Re: [ksurf] beginner seeking for advice!

  • loco4olas
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 30, 2003
      North Toro 2 or Naish Aero II or better still Naish boxer.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 30, 2003
        Maniac - nice n stable good power for its size...great for cruising and land kiteing. Jumping is ok but needs a little flying technique.
        Usual great flysurfer features in self launching, landing and a water relaunch second to none.

        Has a pressureless depower which makes cruising for a long time very easy. If however you are the only person in your area going for a foil...maybe a tube maybe a better bet.

        I did my lessons on a north buster but prefer the maniac.

        Andy

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 30, 2003
          Hi Daphne,

          I undersand your trouble as I have had a similar trouble some times ago.

          I not really aware about the brands today but I could say you this .
          You should not matter what kite you take.
          Still a first try with the kite would be suggestable.
          Most important in buying a kite is to have a kite size that will cover most
          wind conditions encountered in your area. So Check the local clubs , other
          kitesurfers ....

          Now if you go for an inflateble I think it's is a lot more easy to with then
          a foil . I also think you were schooled on an LEI . So I would go for that
          choice as you will waist less time. The option that will get you going the
          fasted will be one of the best.

          About the brand check for yourself the kite that in your opinion has the
          best construction and finishin touch. My be the colour will also influence
          you.
          An additional suggestion as you are starting is to buy a cheap last year
          edition of a takoon skoop (11.5 and 14.3 were excellent , it is certainly a
          good choice ").
          With the experience you will be able to choose for yourself what you think
          is the best . Some other people will give you the opportunity to test their
          equipment .....
          Get your as as fast as possible betweeen kitesurfers on the water !!!!

          You will see by experience that a lot of opinions on the web and on the
          beach are more or less biased.
          Trying a kite will give you the best feeling.
          It should in my opinion be lite in the hands, predictable and fast .

          Mather more about SIZE then about brand.
          There are no bad kites onthe market if you follow the popular brands. e.g.
          North ,Takoon , GK lift ( a suggestion if you ask me ) ,

          Still I would ask you to say hello to all Athen.
          I have spent there some great times in the past.

          Regards ,

          Ed

          >From: "davitsi72" <davitsi72@...>
          >To: kitesurf@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [ksurf] beginner seeking for advice!
          >Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:53:01 -0000
          >
          >Hello everyone!
          >My name is Daphne, I live in Athens, Greece. I started taking
          >kitesurfing lessons two months ago and am about to buy my first kite.
          >I have been doing extensive market research in order to avoid buying
          >the wrong kite (and to be able to find a good deal!). I end up having
          >gathered too much information on so many kites, I can't make up my
          >mind!! A word of advice from anyone who could spare some time to
          >reply, would be of valuable help! I even don't know if I want an
          >inflatable kite or not!! So please let me know: what would you
          >choose: Air rush Trio, North Toro 2, Peter Lynn Arc or FlySurfer
          >Maniac?
          >Thanks and safe riding.
          >Daf
          >

          >This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com Kitesurfing
          >
          >http://www.KiteHIGH.com
          >ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
          >ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
          >Em: support@...

          Volg Expeditie Robinson op de voet!
          http://entertainment.msn.be/tv/expeditierobinson/
        • Brian Bieger
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 30, 2003
            I have a north toro 2 and have been really happy with it. Excellent
            depower, great wind range and it is a pretty fast flying kite given how well
            it does in the previous two performance categories. Can be a little tricky
            to relaunch but overall this is my favorite kite.

            Brian

            > My name is Daphne, I live in Athens, Greece. I started taking
            > kitesurfing lessons two months ago and am about to buy my first kite.
            > I have been doing extensive market research in order to avoid buying
            > the wrong kite (and to be able to find a good deal!). I end up having
            > gathered too much information on so many kites, I can't make up my
            > mind!! A word of advice from anyone who could spare some time to
            > reply, would be of valuable help! I even don't know if I want an
            > inflatable kite or not!! So please let me know: what would you
            > choose: Air rush Trio, North Toro 2, Peter Lynn Arc or FlySurfer
            > Maniac?
            > Thanks and safe riding.
            > Daf

            > http://www.KiteHIGH.com
            > ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
            > ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
            > Em: support@...

          • davitsi72
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 30, 2003
              Thanks for your advice!

              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "loco4olas" <loco4olas@h...> wrote:
              > North Toro 2 or Naish Aero II or better still Naish boxer.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • davitsi72
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 30, 2003
                Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it. It's true that
                almost noone uses a foil kite around here. Nevertheless, I wouldn't
                mind being among the few to use one, if it has all those features you
                mention. I am doing my lessons on Nasa Wings, so I don't have a hands
                on experience of neither foil nor tube kites...
                Anyway, thanks a lot and safe riding.
                Daf

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 30, 2003
                  Thank you for your advice! This morning I went to the only shop in
                  Athens that sells North kites and asked about the Toro 2! They'll
                  have some in 20 days they say... I don't know if I want to wait that
                  long... Anyway, thanks again and safe riding.
                  Daf

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 31, 2003
                    Hello Ed,
                    your advice is much appreciated. The question of the correct size of
                    the kite has also bothered me a lot. I do not fit into the category
                    of the average rider as my weight is 52 kilos. That would mean I'd
                    have to buy a smaller size than the average rider but I am not sure
                    exaclty how much smaller...
                    My regards and safe riding,
                    Daf

                    --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "edouard Vergeynst" <geynsted@h...>

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 31, 2003
                      Hi Daphne,

                      What are the conditions mostly encountered in Athens ?

                      Kind regards ,

                      Ed

                    • ringokiter
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 31, 2003
                        Hi Daphne,

                        Here is an excellent kite review site: http://www.kite-
                        surf.com/userreviews/index.php?opid=-4&standard=1&viewlatestreviews=1?
                        &NavID=2

                        Ringo

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 2, 2003
                          Ed,
                          the conditions round Athens are generally not stable. For example
                          these days it's either no wind at all or very strong wind! There are
                          several beaches round Athens others in the north, others in the
                          south, so one can choose where to go to according to the wind
                          direction, which is quite varried. For more info have a look at:
                          www.kitesurfing.gr
                          www.kiteboard.gr
                          www.gwa.gr
                          Regards,

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 2, 2003
                            Thank you Ringo! I had a look at the site and it is very helpful.
                            Regards,
                            Daf

                            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ringokiter" <davidtoushek@h...>