RRD 2004 with zippers to change size

  • Eddy Cormon
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2003
      SOunds great to me !
      Eddy
      Read:
      The new Zipping Power Control system allows modification of the power
      and flight characterisitics by zipping up or unzipping from one to
      three to four zippers. The zippers modify the angle of attack and the
      effective power generation of the kite. RRD indicates that
      substantial added wind range can be realized through the zipped and
      unzipped configurations with one kite.

      Alex estimated that the zippers allow about 3 to 5 mph in the smaller
      kites and 5 to 7 mph extra wind range in the larger kites. I asked
      him if they had problems with sand with the zippers. He tells me that
      during R&D they dumped tons on sand into the zippers however they
      still performed as intended. They have installed plastic rivets to
      improve wear resistance at the inflatable strut ends. They have
      installed reinforced "rescue" handles to aid in handling the wing
      tips during bailout procedures.

      The 8 and 10 m kites have one zipper over the center strut, and the
      13 and 16 m kites have three zippers , the 20 m has 4 zippers while
      the the 26 m has 1 zipper. The new Type Z kites, with the zippered
      angle of attack (AOA) control, are on average 1 ½ lb LIGHTER than the
      Airtypes. The zippers are an all or none feature, either the zippers
      are all the way open or all the way closed. The zippers use in the
      kites were originally developed for the America's Cup boat Alinghi by
      RiRi, an Italian company. Cabal states that the new zippers have been
      tested on RRD kites for over 6 months with no problems.