SAFETY: worn lines

  • Kite Power (Sydney)
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 18, 2003
      > Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:03:01 -0000
      > From: "ichiman1" <ichiman1@...>
      > Subject: SAFETY: worn lines
      >
      > I have a set of Naish lines from about 2 years ago. The sleeving on
      > both ends is completely worn through, so I thought I should re-sleeve
      > them, however due to my laziness I have not done so for maybe 30
      > sessions and in fact I cannot see any changes in the lines where the
      > sleeving is gone. Do I HAVE to resleeve or can I just keep watching
      > the larks head ends and act when I see visible wear on the spectra?
      >
      > Thanks..

      The sleeving on Naish lines, and many other brands, is not there for
      strength, it is just to make it easier to sew and for the colour coding.
      So long as the white spectra/dyneema line is not frayed, where the sleeving
      has worn through, then you can do this.
      Get some spare 500lb+ line, and cut 4 pieces 300mm long, exactly the same
      length as each other. Fold each piece of line in half, mark the centre with
      a pen , then tie 2 overhand (granny knots) at the other ends so that you end
      up with 4 loops or pigtails the same length.
      Now larkshead (same knot used to attach the worn lines to the kite) your
      worn lines, just above the 2 knots, on the loop you made, and then connect
      the new loop to the kite, easy!
      Any time you see wear on those loops, just make another and replace it. I do
      this to all my lines, that way the line ends are always new, when I sell my
      old gear, and I never have line breakages.

      Colour code your lines, with waterproof markers, I use black for the back
      lines, and red or nothing for the fronts or red green on the fronts, and I
      colour the pigtails on the kite the same!

      Cya and
      Goodwinds
      Steve McCormack
      www.kitepower.com.au