Safety: Worn Lines

  • Tim @ Active People Sports
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2003
      It is not necessary to receive your lines although if you do so the
      larks-head knots will obviously last longer. The main purpose of the
      sleeving is to protect the line at the knot as normal spectra lines (not
      Q-PowerLine) will cut through itself when knotted. The other advantage of
      sleeving the lines is to make the larks-head knot easier to open. When you
      put a larks-head knot in spectra under pressure it tends to mold into itself
      and the knot can be quite difficult to undo. If you then have to pick at it
      you will break the individual fibers in the spectra braid and dramatically
      weaken the line at the larks-head.

      So it's up to you. It's not necessary but it will make your lines last
      longer.

      Brian R. Smith
      PowerLine Sports
      www.PowerLine-Sports.com
      bsmith@...

      Message: 5
      Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:03:01 -0000
      From: "ichiman1" <ichiman1@...>
      Subject: SAFETY: worn lines

      I have a set of Naish lines from about 2 years ago. The sleeving on
      both ends is completely worn through, so I thought I should re-sleeve
      them, however due to my laziness I have not done so for maybe 30
      sessions and in fact I cannot see any changes in the lines where the
      sleeving is gone. Do I HAVE to resleeve or can I just keep watching
      the larks head ends and act when I see visible wear on the spectra?

      Thanks..