Anyone Kitesurf in Canberra???

  • extralite99
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2003
      I am wondering if anyone knows whether there is any kitesurfing in
      Canberra?? ( Aussie capital for those outside aus who would have no
      idea)

      I have been offerred a job there , not sure i want to go if there is
      no kitesurfing... Is Lake George any good?
    • Kite Power (Sydney)
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 16, 2003
        G'day
        Canberra is not good for kitesurfing, but the coast is only a couple of
        hours drive away. One soem rare days you coulf kite on Lake Burley Griffith,
        but it is very prone to dangerous gusty winds, due to the high hills all
        around Canberra.
        Lake George is fantastic for buggying as it is usually empty, although there
        is a bit of water in the bottom part of it now, it is very shallow even when
        full probably less than1/2M, and typically on a a few cm's. Winds from the
        south can be dangerously gusty, best directions are east and Nor east.
        There is a lot of coast to explore and fantastic uncrowded locations, best
        to get out of Canberra for kiteboarding.
        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        www.kitepower.com.au

        > Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:41:42 -0000
        > From: "extralite99" <looking-glass@...>
        > Subject: Anyone Kitesurf in Canberra???
        >
        > I am wondering if anyone knows whether there is any kitesurfing in
        > Canberra?? ( Aussie capital for those outside aus who would have no
        > idea)
        >
        > I have been offerred a job there , not sure i want to go if there is
        > no kitesurfing... Is Lake George any good?
      • pete_weatherhead
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 17, 2003
          Ive just moved from Canberra to the Central coast.

          While I dont recommend it you can actually sail in the lake. In
          summer canberra receives Easterly winds in the afternoon/evening
          after a southerly on the coast (check out the BOM AWS at Braidwood
          halfway between Canberra and the coast, if its blowing Easterly by
          3:30 you usually get and Easterly in the evening). The easterlys
          range anywhere from 10kts to 25kts (gusts are +/- 5kts) and are the
          most consistent wind in canberra.

          In the easterlies I used to kite with one other bloke in the basin
          west of the National Museum. There are about 50 or so windsurfers in
          canberra who sail off "blue gum point" (??) between yarralumla (Sic?)
          and the canberra yaught club. There really is only one launch which
          is about 100 or so metres upwind of this point. The launch is really
          sketchy with winds gusting over trees about 10-15m upwind and trees
          about 10m downwind. Kite upwind of this point, if you drift down
          into the sailors you have to suck it up and either go down wind
          between the island and the point or go in behind the point (ie sail
          into the wind shadow, drop your kite and swim in) alternatively you
          can kite further down wind and land at the police launch, but I have
          had to swim the last 20-50 m more than once.

          Westerlies are usually very very gusty (5-25 kts) and I wouldnt even
          bother really unless you were desparate. The best place in a westerly
          is in the east basin, the launch is a little better, but definately
          not what I would recommend to anyone who hasnt got quite a far bit of
          experience. The lake is shallow enough here to launch from the water
          if you have someone to launch you. If (most likely when) you end up
          down wind, you have to climb out of the lake over a rock wall.

          Bottom line is that easterlies are quite good after work in summer,
          but there isnt really enough room. I wouldnt recommend trying to
          kite in canberra until you have a (fair bit) make that a lot of
          experience, and it is probably best to watch some of the other guys
          (if there are any left) have a shot before giving it ago. Make sure
          you know where to get out as well. Talk to Scottie at Second Wind in
          Fyswick before you have ago, because as far as I know kiting may have
          been banned.

          The coast (2-3 hrs away) is, on the other hand, epic. Better beaches,
          stronger winds and less crowds than anywhere else I have kited.
          Heaps of sick setups. Check out Gerroa, Shoalhaven Heads, J-Bay and
          surrouding areas, Further south there are some good spots near
          ulladulla, Broulee ... Merimbula.

          Take it easy,

          Pete.
          If you have anymore questions email me at peter.weatherhead @
          ozemail.com.au

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@k...>
          wrote:
          > G'day
          > Canberra is not good for kitesurfing, but the coast is only a
          couple of
          > hours drive away. One soem rare days you coulf kite on Lake Burley
          Griffith,
          > but it is very prone to dangerous gusty winds, due to the high
          hills all
          > around Canberra.
          > Lake George is fantastic for buggying as it is usually empty,
          although there
          > is a bit of water in the bottom part of it now, it is very shallow
          even when
          > full probably less than1/2M, and typically on a a few cm's. Winds
          from the
          > south can be dangerously gusty, best directions are east and Nor
          east.
          > There is a lot of coast to explore and fantastic uncrowded
          locations, best
          > to get out of Canberra for kiteboarding.
          > Cya and
          > Goodwinds
          > Steve McCormack
          > www.kitepower.com.au
          >

          > > Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:41:42 -0000
          > > From: "extralite99" <looking-glass@m...>
          > > Subject: Anyone Kitesurf in Canberra???
          > >
          > > I am wondering if anyone knows whether there is any kitesurfing in
          > > Canberra?? ( Aussie capital for those outside aus who would have
          no
          > > idea)
          > >
          > > I have been offerred a job there , not sure i want to go if there
          is
          > > no kitesurfing... Is Lake George any good?
        • Pete
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 26, 2003
            Spent most of the 90s chasing wind around there - and you have to
            chase it! When Lake George has water in it it's good value - I don't
            think it's had enough water since about '94 though! We used to sail
            just south of where the highway hits the lake, coming from Canberra.
            The lakes in town are gusty at best - easterlies are the only regular
            wind in summer (the easterly hits Lake George an hour or so before
            Canberra). Spring westerlies are very gusty, made more so by the
            trees, buildings, hills etc. around. Southerlies seemed to have
            stopped coming when I left. Other dams nearby don't offer much hope.

            The coast on the other hand is excellent for a surf, kiting or pole-
            surfing. Anywhere from Geroa to Mallacoota is in reach if you don't
            mind a 2-3 hour drive. Not bad sea-breezes, bit light for
            windsurfing sometimes, but good on a kite. Big southerly busters
            come through once in a while, gusty but strong (30 knots not unusual
            for an hour or two), and plenty of good set-ups. Just be prepared to
            do a few ks.

            If you're into other stuff Canberra has the attraction of access to
            huge chunks of national parks. Some of the best MTBing in Oz is
            right in town, climbing at numerous crags within an hour or so, even
            a bit of white water occasionally, and the snow's only a couple of
            hours away in winter. More sedate activities like bushwalking are
            also well catered for.
            Pete

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "extralite99" <looking-glass@m...>