Re: RES: [ksurf] RE:design a better quick release was ( how to switch sides with

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
      The Ocean Rodeo definitely has an advantage in this situation.

      However, people should at least unhooked (and not attached to the kite
      except for the "true" safety leash) on land and near people/hard objects.

      Snowboarding was banned at many resorts in the early days because of
      comments like this from the skiers: "I don't mind snowboarders go out
      and kill themselves but it bothers me to watch an injured snowboarder
      hurt skiers".

      So injure or kill yourself, but once you become unconcious, please
      don't hurt or kill other people.

      Hung.

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "mobilekiteshop.com" <steve@m...> wrote:
      > its all very well to say that you should be unhooked but the reality
      of the
      > situation is that most people wont unhook, I could be out riding and
      I see a
      > very dark cloud coming and I would be very aware of a possible large
      change
      > in the wind. So if for some reason it is not practical to come in or
      it is
      > safer to stay far away from the shore in case of possible lofting I will
      > ride with the kite as low as possible and when I tack I will turn
      the kite
      > at the bottom of the window as much as possible and not let it rise
      up. At
      > the same time I know if a huge gust comes in that in a split second
      I can be
      > free of the kite with this type of punch out release whereas with
      all other
      > forms of release that I know of I would have to go looking for some
      kind of
      > grab ball, loop, quick release somewhere, how fast can you find and pull
      > your quick release? if you get lofted how high does that extra time
      allow
      > you to get.
      >
      > Pog ma hon
      > Steve
      > steve@m... <mailto:steve@m...>
      > Ph: 087-7993612
      >
      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • mobilekiteshop.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
        I agree with you and its great to say that Hung but realistically people
        wont do it, I suppose I am changing the subject and considering quicker ways
        to activate your quick release, I think that the delay caused by having to
        let go of your bar and reaching somewhere else to activate your release
        increases risk and there should be a better way, maybe the release could be
        unde your hand on the bar somehow, I am sure someone here could work it out?

        Steve
        steve@... <mailto:steve@...>
        The Ocean Rodeo definitely has an advantage in this situation.

        However, people should at least unhooked (and not attached to the kite
        except for the "true" safety leash) on land and near people/hard objects.

        Snowboarding was banned at many resorts in the early days because of
        comments like this from the skiers: "I don't mind snowboarders go out
        and kill themselves but it bothers me to watch an injured snowboarder
        hurt skiers".

        So injure or kill yourself, but once you become unconcious, please
        don't hurt or kill other people.

        Hung.

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "mobilekiteshop.com" <steve@m...> wrote:
        > its all very well to say that you should be unhooked but the reality
        of the
        > situation is that most people wont unhook, I could be out riding and
        I see a
        > very dark cloud coming and I would be very aware of a possible large
        change
        > in the wind. So if for some reason it is not practical to come in or
        it is
        > safer to stay far away from the shore in case of possible lofting I will
        > ride with the kite as low as possible and when I tack I will turn
        the kite
        > at the bottom of the window as much as possible and not let it rise
        up. At
        > the same time I know if a huge gust comes in that in a split second
        I can be
        > free of the kite with this type of punch out release whereas with
        all other
        > forms of release that I know of I would have to go looking for some
        kind of
        > grab ball, loop, quick release somewhere, how fast can you find and pull
        > your quick release? if you get lofted how high does that extra time
        allow
        > you to get.
        >
        > Pog ma hon
        > Steve
        > steve@m... <mailto:steve@m...>
        > Ph: 087-7993612
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://www.KiteHIGH.com
        ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
        ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
        Em: support@...

      • Jan Coffey
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
          A few thoughts:

          The Naish system is greate becouse you can use it on any kite.

          The new Naish system is simply a free bar, when the bar is unhooked,
          and a regular bar when it is hooked in. That means that going
          unhooked is not really being unhooked. It's simply trasfering to a
          free bar. I haven't used it, but one would think that if the intent
          were an unhooked railie, with the bar at arms leangth and the kite
          fully powered, with the naish system, you're not going to get this.

          The new naish system has no way of simply releasing the bar for full
          depower. (Sorry, but isn't %100 depower mean the kite has NO power?)

          At some point transfering the load to the front lines stops
          depowering the kite. On my North and old Naish kites you can get to
          this point with the bar still attached. I know this becouse I rigged
          free bar for a while and there is a point were it's depowered as
          much as it is going to without landing it, or releasing one side of
          the kite. I stoped riging free bar, becouse this point was well
          within the normal "throw" I used at that time.

          The swivil leash looks to me like it's still going to get tangled. I
          designed a bar with a swiveling leash the line covered in plastic
          and it still tangled and got in the way. What happens when you go
          for a spin, then end up letting go of the bar and regrabing the bar
          from the other side of the leash? You can get that leash wrapped
          around the bar. Then what? No reride will work if the bar is hung up
          at the rider. What about the leash getting wrapped around the hook?
          It looks to me like you could spin the bar and it would spin around
          the leash then you would have to manulay reach down and untwist the
          leash by making the swivil go around. What if you get in trouble
          right at that moment? Everyone who tried swivels knows that they
          don't always turn on their own.

          I know I'm on a Cab kick right now, but here me out. If you don't
          want a "drop the bar" kind of leash system the Recon works greate.
          See my erlier post. The kite doesn't reride, spin around slam into
          the shore etc. It folds up and depowers by at least %98 if not more
          (remember %100 means NO power at all).

          If you don't want to launch hooked or you like being able to just
          drop the bar the Recon will do this as well. The system works
          becouse when the load is fully transfered to the back lines the kite
          will fold up. If you simply attach a line to both back lines behind
          the rings, then letting go of the bar will engage the Recon system
          becouse all of the load will be on the back lines. The kite will
          softly glide down directly down wind. Not spin and violently drag
          you for another 100 meters, but disingage, and fully depower.

          And to top it off, you get a bit of help relaunching to boot.

          Hay I'm certainly no pro, I pay what everyone else does for my gear.
          I don't have anything at all to do with any Kite company. That's why
          I feel free to speak my mind and tell it the way I see it. Still
          these are just my opinions. Opinions are like butts, everyones got
          one.
        • Suntrax
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 3, 2003
            > Can you pull on the button to release the safety leash from the strap
            > first (to make it a traditional safety leash) before launching the
            > kite unhooked
            >and then latter on reconnect it while in the water?

            No, not practical

            Am finished with this subject unless Hung, you actualy try the UDS with your
            own 2 hands and THEN comment, I get enough keyboard theorists in my store
            every day :-)

            Out

            Brian

          • hungvuatnetcomdotca
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 3, 2003
              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Suntrax" <brian@s...> wrote:
              > > Can you pull on the button to release the safety leash from the strap
              > > first (to make it a traditional safety leash) before launching the
              > > kite unhooked
              > >and then latter on reconnect it while in the water?
              >
              > No, not practical

              Thanks. If I cannot launch the kite unhooked (truly unhooked not
              "fake" unhooked) then please don't invite me to try it as it may
              injure or kill me.

              I will give Recon a try as I think I can launch it unhooked with a
              traditional wrist safety leash and then later on locked into the
              chicken loop and transfer (tie) the wrist safety leash to the bar
              while in deep water.

              Hung.