Re: RES: [ksurf] RE:design a better quick release was ( how to switch sides with

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
      My experience so far is that if I hooked in, I would not be able to
      unhook until 10'+ high up (the time it take to do something, e.g.,
      pulling on some release, would make it even higher).

      If I am unhooked (and not attached to the kite except for the "true"
      safety leash), the bar simply ripped right out of my hand (2
      occasions: one a few years ago with my wipika 3.5 in 35 - 40 knots -
      Luke Stanek, the world buggy fastest man was there - and the other
      case just recently with my AR5 11.5 in very steep wind gradient).
      This "skill" may not be automatic to some as stefano has stated but it
      can be learned.

      In any case, being unhooked (and not attached to the kite except for
      the "true" safety leash) when in doubt is desirable as after the
      initial contact, the kite is fully disable and cannot cause further
      damages (damage to the kitesurf or damage to the bystanders). Just
      imaging an injured, unconcious 170 lbs kitesurfer get dragged over an
      infant in the pinic area or the parking lot - kitesurfing will sure be
      banned immediately and indefinitely.

      Hung.

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Stefano Rosso" <stefano.rosso@a...>
      wrote:
      > your brain says im lofting or this gust is too much I wont be able to
      > hold it and as soon as your brain says it you are released with one
      > movement.
      >
      > My experience in loftings has been that the brain always realizes that
      > you are being lofted when you are way way up... You cannot know how high
      > you will go until you are way way up there... And then your reaction is
      > normally to grab the bar for dear life !
    • Stefano Rosso
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
        If I am unhooked (and not attached to the kite except for the "true"
        safety leash), the bar simply ripped right out of my hand (2
        occasions: one a few years ago with my wipika 3.5 in 35 - 40 knots -
        Luke Stanek, the world buggy fastest man was there - and the other case
        just recently with my AR5 11.5 in very steep wind gradient).
        This "skill" may not be automatic to some as stefano has stated but it
        can be learned.

        == if the bar is getting ripped out of your hand then that's one thing.
        If you are getting lofted in such a way that the bar doesn't get ripped
        out of your hands then your first reaction is to try and control the
        kite ... Then you suddenly realize you are way up...
      • mobilekiteshop.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
          its all very well to say that you should be unhooked but the reality of the
          situation is that most people wont unhook, I could be out riding and I see a
          very dark cloud coming and I would be very aware of a possible large change
          in the wind. So if for some reason it is not practical to come in or it is
          safer to stay far away from the shore in case of possible lofting I will
          ride with the kite as low as possible and when I tack I will turn the kite
          at the bottom of the window as much as possible and not let it rise up. At
          the same time I know if a huge gust comes in that in a split second I can be
          free of the kite with this type of punch out release whereas with all other
          forms of release that I know of I would have to go looking for some kind of
          grab ball, loop, quick release somewhere, how fast can you find and pull
          your quick release? if you get lofted how high does that extra time allow
          you to get.

          Pog ma hon
          Steve
          steve@... <mailto:steve@...>
          Ph: 087-7993612

        • hungvuatnetcomdotca
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
            The Ocean Rodeo definitely has an advantage in this situation.

            However, people should at least unhooked (and not attached to the kite
            except for the "true" safety leash) on land and near people/hard objects.

            Snowboarding was banned at many resorts in the early days because of
            comments like this from the skiers: "I don't mind snowboarders go out
            and kill themselves but it bothers me to watch an injured snowboarder
            hurt skiers".

            So injure or kill yourself, but once you become unconcious, please
            don't hurt or kill other people.

            Hung.

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "mobilekiteshop.com" <steve@m...> wrote:
            > its all very well to say that you should be unhooked but the reality
            of the
            > situation is that most people wont unhook, I could be out riding and
            I see a
            > very dark cloud coming and I would be very aware of a possible large
            change
            > in the wind. So if for some reason it is not practical to come in or
            it is
            > safer to stay far away from the shore in case of possible lofting I will
            > ride with the kite as low as possible and when I tack I will turn
            the kite
            > at the bottom of the window as much as possible and not let it rise
            up. At
            > the same time I know if a huge gust comes in that in a split second
            I can be
            > free of the kite with this type of punch out release whereas with
            all other
            > forms of release that I know of I would have to go looking for some
            kind of
            > grab ball, loop, quick release somewhere, how fast can you find and pull
            > your quick release? if you get lofted how high does that extra time
            allow
            > you to get.
            >
            > Pog ma hon
            > Steve
            > steve@m... <mailto:steve@m...>
            > Ph: 087-7993612
            >
            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • mobilekiteshop.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
              I agree with you and its great to say that Hung but realistically people
              wont do it, I suppose I am changing the subject and considering quicker ways
              to activate your quick release, I think that the delay caused by having to
              let go of your bar and reaching somewhere else to activate your release
              increases risk and there should be a better way, maybe the release could be
              unde your hand on the bar somehow, I am sure someone here could work it out?

              Steve
              steve@... <mailto:steve@...>
              The Ocean Rodeo definitely has an advantage in this situation.

              However, people should at least unhooked (and not attached to the kite
              except for the "true" safety leash) on land and near people/hard objects.

              Snowboarding was banned at many resorts in the early days because of
              comments like this from the skiers: "I don't mind snowboarders go out
              and kill themselves but it bothers me to watch an injured snowboarder
              hurt skiers".

              So injure or kill yourself, but once you become unconcious, please
              don't hurt or kill other people.

              Hung.

              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "mobilekiteshop.com" <steve@m...> wrote:
              > its all very well to say that you should be unhooked but the reality
              of the
              > situation is that most people wont unhook, I could be out riding and
              I see a
              > very dark cloud coming and I would be very aware of a possible large
              change
              > in the wind. So if for some reason it is not practical to come in or
              it is
              > safer to stay far away from the shore in case of possible lofting I will
              > ride with the kite as low as possible and when I tack I will turn
              the kite
              > at the bottom of the window as much as possible and not let it rise
              up. At
              > the same time I know if a huge gust comes in that in a split second
              I can be
              > free of the kite with this type of punch out release whereas with
              all other
              > forms of release that I know of I would have to go looking for some
              kind of
              > grab ball, loop, quick release somewhere, how fast can you find and pull
              > your quick release? if you get lofted how high does that extra time
              allow
              > you to get.
              >
              > Pog ma hon
              > Steve
              > steve@m... <mailto:steve@m...>
              > Ph: 087-7993612
              >
              > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              http://www.KiteHIGH.com
              ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
              ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
              Em: support@...

            • Jan Coffey
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                A few thoughts:

                The Naish system is greate becouse you can use it on any kite.

                The new Naish system is simply a free bar, when the bar is unhooked,
                and a regular bar when it is hooked in. That means that going
                unhooked is not really being unhooked. It's simply trasfering to a
                free bar. I haven't used it, but one would think that if the intent
                were an unhooked railie, with the bar at arms leangth and the kite
                fully powered, with the naish system, you're not going to get this.

                The new naish system has no way of simply releasing the bar for full
                depower. (Sorry, but isn't %100 depower mean the kite has NO power?)

                At some point transfering the load to the front lines stops
                depowering the kite. On my North and old Naish kites you can get to
                this point with the bar still attached. I know this becouse I rigged
                free bar for a while and there is a point were it's depowered as
                much as it is going to without landing it, or releasing one side of
                the kite. I stoped riging free bar, becouse this point was well
                within the normal "throw" I used at that time.

                The swivil leash looks to me like it's still going to get tangled. I
                designed a bar with a swiveling leash the line covered in plastic
                and it still tangled and got in the way. What happens when you go
                for a spin, then end up letting go of the bar and regrabing the bar
                from the other side of the leash? You can get that leash wrapped
                around the bar. Then what? No reride will work if the bar is hung up
                at the rider. What about the leash getting wrapped around the hook?
                It looks to me like you could spin the bar and it would spin around
                the leash then you would have to manulay reach down and untwist the
                leash by making the swivil go around. What if you get in trouble
                right at that moment? Everyone who tried swivels knows that they
                don't always turn on their own.

                I know I'm on a Cab kick right now, but here me out. If you don't
                want a "drop the bar" kind of leash system the Recon works greate.
                See my erlier post. The kite doesn't reride, spin around slam into
                the shore etc. It folds up and depowers by at least %98 if not more
                (remember %100 means NO power at all).

                If you don't want to launch hooked or you like being able to just
                drop the bar the Recon will do this as well. The system works
                becouse when the load is fully transfered to the back lines the kite
                will fold up. If you simply attach a line to both back lines behind
                the rings, then letting go of the bar will engage the Recon system
                becouse all of the load will be on the back lines. The kite will
                softly glide down directly down wind. Not spin and violently drag
                you for another 100 meters, but disingage, and fully depower.

                And to top it off, you get a bit of help relaunching to boot.

                Hay I'm certainly no pro, I pay what everyone else does for my gear.
                I don't have anything at all to do with any Kite company. That's why
                I feel free to speak my mind and tell it the way I see it. Still
                these are just my opinions. Opinions are like butts, everyones got
                one.
              • Suntrax
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 3, 2003
                  > Can you pull on the button to release the safety leash from the strap
                  > first (to make it a traditional safety leash) before launching the
                  > kite unhooked
                  >and then latter on reconnect it while in the water?

                  No, not practical

                  Am finished with this subject unless Hung, you actualy try the UDS with your
                  own 2 hands and THEN comment, I get enough keyboard theorists in my store
                  every day :-)

                  Out

                  Brian

                • hungvuatnetcomdotca
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 3, 2003
                    --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Suntrax" <brian@s...> wrote:
                    > > Can you pull on the button to release the safety leash from the strap
                    > > first (to make it a traditional safety leash) before launching the
                    > > kite unhooked
                    > >and then latter on reconnect it while in the water?
                    >
                    > No, not practical

                    Thanks. If I cannot launch the kite unhooked (truly unhooked not
                    "fake" unhooked) then please don't invite me to try it as it may
                    injure or kill me.

                    I will give Recon a try as I think I can launch it unhooked with a
                    traditional wrist safety leash and then later on locked into the
                    chicken loop and transfer (tie) the wrist safety leash to the bar
                    while in deep water.

                    Hung.