Re: [ksurf] Re: how to switch sides without getting lofted?

  • Suntrax
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
      Hi Stefano

      Please also read my answer to Hung.
      You are generally correct except that if you have to let go of the bar, the
      Quick Release is right in front of your eyes at the bottom of the
      depower-strap part of the UDS system, which then acts on one middle line
      like most modern (production)leashes. There is then another QR if you have
      to dump everything.
      You have to try it to understand it, I was also very sceptical beforehand
      and I reiterate, it is not the ultimate answer to all safety concerns, but I
      don't think Naish hyped it as such.

      Best regards

      Brian

      (========o]></

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Brian Wilson
      Suntrax
      Tel/fax 27 (0)21 5560044
      cell; 0824656696
      www.suntrax.co.za
      info@...
      Open 7/12/363
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
        Brian,

        Can you pull on the button to release the safety leash from the strap
        first (to make it a traditional safety leash) before launching the
        kite unhooked and then latter on reconnect it while in the water?

      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Suntrax" <brian@s...> wrote:
          > Hung
          >
          > I don't think I said it was safer than anything, other than being
          hooked in.
          > Yes you must release the bar and then activate an eye level quick
          release.

          Brian,

          So how is it safer than launching the kite while hooking in to the
          chicken loop with a "working" QR system (e.g., Recon, Ocean Rodeo
          punch out bar, pin release, QR on the chicken loop, etc.)?

          Hung.
        • Stefano Rosso
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
            Hi Stefano

            Please also read my answer to Hung.

            == I did.

            You are generally correct except that if you have to let go of the bar,
            the Quick Release is right in front of your eyes at the bottom of the
            depower-strap part of the UDS system, which then acts on one middle line
            like most modern (production)leashes. There is then another QR if you
            have to dump everything. You have to try it to understand it,

            == I guess I do understand it then...

            I was also very sceptical beforehand and I reiterate, it is not the
            ultimate answer to all safety concerns, but I don't think Naish hyped it
            as such.

            == I think that the leash they developed with its improved ability to
            swivel is the novelty on this bar. Everything else is "old" in that many
            of us already had this type of functionality on their home made bars.
            Its good that there is a production model available though...

            == I apologize if I sound sceptic... I am just making fun of their 200%
            depower which just sounds like hype of something other kite bars have
            had for a long time... There is a naish mafia here in brazil that tends
            to hype EVERYTHING naish kites launches, even before they have tried it
            themselves... So we like to tease them a bit...
          • mobilekiteshop.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
              The quickest and safest quick release system is the Ocean rodeo punch out
              system. I would like to see more manufacturers go in this direction. When
              you punch out you are left with both hands on the bar which means you still
              have the decision to hold on to the bar or to release it. You do not have to
              let go with one hand and feel around for a quick release which may take you
              one crucial second longer than just punching out, the punch out is
              immediate, your brain says im lofting or this gust is too much I wont be
              able to hold it and as soon as your brain says it you are released with one
              movement. I am sure it is the safest system out there and I am sure there is
              a way that you clever people out there could self rig your own versions of
              it.

              Pog ma hon.
              Steve
              steve@... <mailto:steve@...>
              Ph: 087-7993612
            • Stefano Rosso
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                your brain says im lofting or this gust is too much I wont be able to
                hold it and as soon as your brain says it you are released with one
                movement.

                My experience in loftings has been that the brain always realizes that
                you are being lofted when you are way way up... You cannot know how high
                you will go until you are way way up there... And then your reaction is
                normally to grab the bar for dear life !
              • hungvuatnetcomdotca
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                  My experience so far is that if I hooked in, I would not be able to
                  unhook until 10'+ high up (the time it take to do something, e.g.,
                  pulling on some release, would make it even higher).

                  If I am unhooked (and not attached to the kite except for the "true"
                  safety leash), the bar simply ripped right out of my hand (2
                  occasions: one a few years ago with my wipika 3.5 in 35 - 40 knots -
                  Luke Stanek, the world buggy fastest man was there - and the other
                  case just recently with my AR5 11.5 in very steep wind gradient).
                  This "skill" may not be automatic to some as stefano has stated but it
                  can be learned.

                  In any case, being unhooked (and not attached to the kite except for
                  the "true" safety leash) when in doubt is desirable as after the
                  initial contact, the kite is fully disable and cannot cause further
                  damages (damage to the kitesurf or damage to the bystanders). Just
                  imaging an injured, unconcious 170 lbs kitesurfer get dragged over an
                  infant in the pinic area or the parking lot - kitesurfing will sure be
                  banned immediately and indefinitely.

                  Hung.

                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Stefano Rosso" <stefano.rosso@a...>

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                    If I am unhooked (and not attached to the kite except for the "true"
                    safety leash), the bar simply ripped right out of my hand (2
                    occasions: one a few years ago with my wipika 3.5 in 35 - 40 knots -
                    Luke Stanek, the world buggy fastest man was there - and the other case
                    just recently with my AR5 11.5 in very steep wind gradient).
                    This "skill" may not be automatic to some as stefano has stated but it
                    can be learned.

                    == if the bar is getting ripped out of your hand then that's one thing.
                    If you are getting lofted in such a way that the bar doesn't get ripped
                    out of your hands then your first reaction is to try and control the
                    kite ... Then you suddenly realize you are way up...
                  • mobilekiteshop.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                      its all very well to say that you should be unhooked but the reality of the
                      situation is that most people wont unhook, I could be out riding and I see a
                      very dark cloud coming and I would be very aware of a possible large change
                      in the wind. So if for some reason it is not practical to come in or it is
                      safer to stay far away from the shore in case of possible lofting I will
                      ride with the kite as low as possible and when I tack I will turn the kite
                      at the bottom of the window as much as possible and not let it rise up. At
                      the same time I know if a huge gust comes in that in a split second I can be
                      free of the kite with this type of punch out release whereas with all other
                      forms of release that I know of I would have to go looking for some kind of
                      grab ball, loop, quick release somewhere, how fast can you find and pull
                      your quick release? if you get lofted how high does that extra time allow
                      you to get.

                      Pog ma hon
                      Steve
                      steve@... <mailto:steve@...>
                      Ph: 087-7993612

                    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                        The Ocean Rodeo definitely has an advantage in this situation.

                        However, people should at least unhooked (and not attached to the kite
                        except for the "true" safety leash) on land and near people/hard objects.

                        Snowboarding was banned at many resorts in the early days because of
                        comments like this from the skiers: "I don't mind snowboarders go out
                        and kill themselves but it bothers me to watch an injured snowboarder
                        hurt skiers".

                        So injure or kill yourself, but once you become unconcious, please
                        don't hurt or kill other people.

                        Hung.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                          I agree with you and its great to say that Hung but realistically people
                          wont do it, I suppose I am changing the subject and considering quicker ways
                          to activate your quick release, I think that the delay caused by having to
                          let go of your bar and reaching somewhere else to activate your release
                          increases risk and there should be a better way, maybe the release could be
                          unde your hand on the bar somehow, I am sure someone here could work it out?

                          Steve
                          steve@... <mailto:steve@...>
                          The Ocean Rodeo definitely has an advantage in this situation.

                          However, people should at least unhooked (and not attached to the kite
                          except for the "true" safety leash) on land and near people/hard objects.

                          Snowboarding was banned at many resorts in the early days because of
                          comments like this from the skiers: "I don't mind snowboarders go out
                          and kill themselves but it bothers me to watch an injured snowboarder
                          hurt skiers".

                          So injure or kill yourself, but once you become unconcious, please
                          don't hurt or kill other people.

                          Hung.

                          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "mobilekiteshop.com" <steve@m...> wrote:
                          > its all very well to say that you should be unhooked but the reality
                          of the
                          > situation is that most people wont unhook, I could be out riding and
                          I see a
                          > very dark cloud coming and I would be very aware of a possible large
                          change
                          > in the wind. So if for some reason it is not practical to come in or
                          it is
                          > safer to stay far away from the shore in case of possible lofting I will
                          > ride with the kite as low as possible and when I tack I will turn
                          the kite
                          > at the bottom of the window as much as possible and not let it rise
                          up. At
                          > the same time I know if a huge gust comes in that in a split second
                          I can be
                          > free of the kite with this type of punch out release whereas with
                          all other
                          > forms of release that I know of I would have to go looking for some
                          kind of
                          > grab ball, loop, quick release somewhere, how fast can you find and pull
                          > your quick release? if you get lofted how high does that extra time
                          allow
                          > you to get.
                          >
                          > Pog ma hon
                          > Steve
                          > steve@m... <mailto:steve@m...>
                          > Ph: 087-7993612
                          >
                          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          http://www.KiteHIGH.com
                          ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
                          ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
                          Em: support@...

                        • Jan Coffey
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                            A few thoughts:

                            The Naish system is greate becouse you can use it on any kite.

                            The new Naish system is simply a free bar, when the bar is unhooked,
                            and a regular bar when it is hooked in. That means that going
                            unhooked is not really being unhooked. It's simply trasfering to a
                            free bar. I haven't used it, but one would think that if the intent
                            were an unhooked railie, with the bar at arms leangth and the kite
                            fully powered, with the naish system, you're not going to get this.

                            The new naish system has no way of simply releasing the bar for full
                            depower. (Sorry, but isn't %100 depower mean the kite has NO power?)

                            At some point transfering the load to the front lines stops
                            depowering the kite. On my North and old Naish kites you can get to
                            this point with the bar still attached. I know this becouse I rigged
                            free bar for a while and there is a point were it's depowered as
                            much as it is going to without landing it, or releasing one side of
                            the kite. I stoped riging free bar, becouse this point was well
                            within the normal "throw" I used at that time.

                            The swivil leash looks to me like it's still going to get tangled. I
                            designed a bar with a swiveling leash the line covered in plastic
                            and it still tangled and got in the way. What happens when you go
                            for a spin, then end up letting go of the bar and regrabing the bar
                            from the other side of the leash? You can get that leash wrapped
                            around the bar. Then what? No reride will work if the bar is hung up
                            at the rider. What about the leash getting wrapped around the hook?
                            It looks to me like you could spin the bar and it would spin around
                            the leash then you would have to manulay reach down and untwist the
                            leash by making the swivil go around. What if you get in trouble
                            right at that moment? Everyone who tried swivels knows that they
                            don't always turn on their own.

                            I know I'm on a Cab kick right now, but here me out. If you don't
                            want a "drop the bar" kind of leash system the Recon works greate.
                            See my erlier post. The kite doesn't reride, spin around slam into
                            the shore etc. It folds up and depowers by at least %98 if not more
                            (remember %100 means NO power at all).

                            If you don't want to launch hooked or you like being able to just
                            drop the bar the Recon will do this as well. The system works
                            becouse when the load is fully transfered to the back lines the kite
                            will fold up. If you simply attach a line to both back lines behind
                            the rings, then letting go of the bar will engage the Recon system
                            becouse all of the load will be on the back lines. The kite will
                            softly glide down directly down wind. Not spin and violently drag
                            you for another 100 meters, but disingage, and fully depower.

                            And to top it off, you get a bit of help relaunching to boot.

                            Hay I'm certainly no pro, I pay what everyone else does for my gear.
                            I don't have anything at all to do with any Kite company. That's why
                            I feel free to speak my mind and tell it the way I see it. Still
                            these are just my opinions. Opinions are like butts, everyones got
                            one.
                          • Suntrax
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 3, 2003
                              > Can you pull on the button to release the safety leash from the strap
                              > first (to make it a traditional safety leash) before launching the
                              > kite unhooked
                              >and then latter on reconnect it while in the water?

                              No, not practical

                              Am finished with this subject unless Hung, you actualy try the UDS with your
                              own 2 hands and THEN comment, I get enough keyboard theorists in my store
                              every day :-)

                              Out

                              Brian

                            • hungvuatnetcomdotca
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 3, 2003
                                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Suntrax" <brian@s...> wrote:
                                > > Can you pull on the button to release the safety leash from the strap
                                > > first (to make it a traditional safety leash) before launching the
                                > > kite unhooked
                                > >and then latter on reconnect it while in the water?
                                >
                                > No, not practical

                                Thanks. If I cannot launch the kite unhooked (truly unhooked not
                                "fake" unhooked) then please don't invite me to try it as it may
                                injure or kill me.

                                I will give Recon a try as I think I can launch it unhooked with a
                                traditional wrist safety leash and then later on locked into the
                                chicken loop and transfer (tie) the wrist safety leash to the bar
                                while in deep water.

                                Hung.