Re: [ksurf] Re: how to switch sides without getting lofted?

  • Suntrax
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
      Hey Steffano

      The fact that Naish is just a more sophisticated design and for normal
      flying does not need the same amount of depower as a Wipika :-) is not the
      issue here, or the subject, the point is that the Naish UDS allows safe,
      UNHOOKED, light steering while, in this case, flying the kite safely across
      the zenith and the ability to easily hook up again, ALL while supporting the
      weight and pull of the kite in your harness.

      Brian

      > == double the normal naish depower is the same as the standard wipika
      > depower so big whoppee ! Here we go again with the 200% depower !
      >

      > Hi David
      >
      > This is where the new Naish UDS system will go a long way in improving
      > safety, it allows you to be unhooked but with double the normal Naish
      > depower yet still have the light steering associated with being hooked
      > in. At the same time the UDS acts as a safety leash with full spinning
      > capability. Not perfect but getting there!
      >
      > Best regards
      >
      > Brian

      > http://www.KiteHIGH.com
      > ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
      > ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
      > Em: support@...

    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
        Brian,

        How is this system safer than the "free bar" system that lifted Mel
        20' up in the air on land a few months ago? Can you simply drop the
        bar (like in any standard bar) or do you have to drop the bar and pull
        on some magic QR button?

        Hung.

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Suntrax" <brian@s...> wrote:

        > Hey Steffano
        >
        > The fact that Naish is just a more sophisticated design and for normal
        > flying does not need the same amount of depower as a Wipika :-) is
        not the
        > issue here, or the subject, the point is that the Naish UDS allows safe,
        > UNHOOKED, light steering while, in this case, flying the kite safely
        across
        > the zenith and the ability to easily hook up again, ALL while
        supporting the
        > weight and pull of the kite in your harness.
        >
        > Brian
        >

        > > == double the normal naish depower is the same as the standard wipika
        > > depower so big whoppee ! Here we go again with the 200% depower !
        > >

        > > Hi David
        > >
        > > This is where the new Naish UDS system will go a long way in improving
        > > safety, it allows you to be unhooked but with double the normal Naish
        > > depower yet still have the light steering associated with being hooked
        > > in. At the same time the UDS acts as a safety leash with full spinning
        > > capability. Not perfect but getting there!
        > >
        > > Best regards
        > >
        > > Brian
        > >

        > > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com Kitesurfing
        > >
        > > http://www.KiteHIGH.com
        > > ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
        > > ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
        > > Em: support@k...
        > >
        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Stefano Rosso
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
          Brian,

          I am also interested in understanding how the UDS bar works... From what
          I saw, I could not see the difference between the UDS and a free bar
          (except the UDS bar has a professional finish, and the rotating leash
          looks very good too). But from the safety aspect, what I understand
          happens is that if you release the bar (and are unhooked) then the leash
          will pull on your harness and on the front lines of the kite... So it
          wont depower much... And if the bar is out of your hands and the kite
          starts to dive then you are F***ED...

          What have I not understood ?

          Thanks
          stefano

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
            Hung

            I don't think I said it was safer than anything, other than being hooked in.
            Yes you must release the bar and then activate an eye level quick release.
            Myself and Rob Munroe have previously given a description and explanation of
            the UDS and it's advantages. I don't think any current system is foolproof
            or 100% safe but the UDS is a step in the right direction that also includes
            a functioning spinning leash, itself a safety feature that negates the
            excuse that leashes reduce spinning ability, therefore enjoyment.
            To those who negatively criticise the Naish UDS without having tried it, I
            would suggest that you test it, but be prepared for a pleasant surprise!.

            Best regards

            Brian

            (========o]></

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Brian Wilson
            Suntrax
            Tel/fax 27 (0)21 5560044
            cell; 0824656696
            www.suntrax.co.za
            info@...
            Open 7/12/363
            > How is this system safer than the "free bar" system that lifted Mel
            > 20' up in the air on land a few months ago? Can you simply drop the
            > bar (like in any standard bar) or do you have to drop the bar and pull
            > on some magic QR button?
            >
            > Hung.
            >
            > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Suntrax" <brian@s...> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hey Steffano
            > >
            > > The fact that Naish is just a more sophisticated design and for normal
            > > flying does not need the same amount of depower as a Wipika :-) is
            > not the
            > > issue here, or the subject, the point is that the Naish UDS allows safe,
            > > UNHOOKED, light steering while, in this case, flying the kite safely
            > across
            > > the zenith and the ability to easily hook up again, ALL while
            > supporting the
            > > weight and pull of the kite in your harness.
            > >
            > > Brian
            > >

            > > > == double the normal naish depower is the same as the standard wipika
            > > > depower so big whoppee ! Here we go again with the 200% depower !
            > > >

            > > > Hi David
            > > >
            > > > This is where the new Naish UDS system will go a long way in improving
            > > > safety, it allows you to be unhooked but with double the normal Naish
            > > > depower yet still have the light steering associated with being hooked
            > > > in. At the same time the UDS acts as a safety leash with full spinning
            > > > capability. Not perfect but getting there!
            > > >
            > > > Best regards
            > > >
            > > > Brian
            > > >

            > > > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com Kitesurfing
            > > >
            > > > http://www.KiteHIGH.com
            > > > ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
            > > > ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
            > > > Em: support@k...
            > > >
            > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > http://www.KiteHIGH.com
            > ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
            > ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
            > Em: support@...

          • Suntrax
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
              Hi Stefano

              Please also read my answer to Hung.
              You are generally correct except that if you have to let go of the bar, the
              Quick Release is right in front of your eyes at the bottom of the
              depower-strap part of the UDS system, which then acts on one middle line
              like most modern (production)leashes. There is then another QR if you have
              to dump everything.
              You have to try it to understand it, I was also very sceptical beforehand
              and I reiterate, it is not the ultimate answer to all safety concerns, but I
              don't think Naish hyped it as such.

              Best regards

              Brian

              (========o]></

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~

              Brian Wilson
              Suntrax
              Tel/fax 27 (0)21 5560044
              cell; 0824656696
              www.suntrax.co.za
              info@...
              Open 7/12/363
              > I am also interested in understanding how the UDS bar works... From what
              > I saw, I could not see the difference between the UDS and a free bar
              > (except the UDS bar has a professional finish, and the rotating leash
              > looks very good too). But from the safety aspect, what I understand
              > happens is that if you release the bar (and are unhooked) then the leash
              > will pull on your harness and on the front lines of the kite... So it
              > wont depower much... And if the bar is out of your hands and the kite
              > starts to dive then you are F***ED...
              >
              > What have I not understood ?
              >
              > Thanks
              > stefano
              >

              > Brian,
              >
              > How is this system safer than the "free bar" system that lifted Mel 20'
              > up in the air on land a few months ago? Can you simply drop the bar
              > (like in any standard bar) or do you have to drop the bar and pull on
              > some magic QR button?
              >
              > Hung.
              >
              > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Suntrax" <brian@s...> wrote:
              > >

              > > Hey Steffano
              > >
              > > The fact that Naish is just a more sophisticated design and for normal
              >
              > > flying does not need the same amount of depower as a Wipika :-) is
              > not the
              > > issue here, or the subject, the point is that the Naish UDS allows
              > > safe, UNHOOKED, light steering while, in this case, flying the kite
              > > safely
              > across
              > > the zenith and the ability to easily hook up again, ALL while
              > supporting the
              > > weight and pull of the kite in your harness.
              > >
              > > Brian
              > >

              > > > == double the normal naish depower is the same as the standard
              > > > wipika depower so big whoppee ! Here we go again with the 200%
              > > > depower !
              > > >

              > > > Hi David
              > > >
              > > > This is where the new Naish UDS system will go a long way in
              > > > improving safety, it allows you to be unhooked but with double the
              > > > normal Naish depower yet still have the light steering associated
              > > > with being hooked in. At the same time the UDS acts as a safety
              > > > leash with full spinning capability. Not perfect but getting there!
              > > >
              > > > Best regards
              > > >
              > > > Brian
              > > >

              > > > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com Kitesurfing
              > > >
              > > > http://www.KiteHIGH.com
              > > > ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
              > > > ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
              > > > Em: support@k...
              > > >
              > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > http://www.KiteHIGH.com
              > ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
              > ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
              > Em: support@...
              >
              > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > http://www.KiteHIGH.com
              > ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
              > ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
              > Em: support@...

            • hungvuatnetcomdotca
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                Brian,

                Can you pull on the button to release the safety leash from the strap
                first (to make it a traditional safety leash) before launching the
                kite unhooked and then latter on reconnect it while in the water?

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Suntrax" <brian@s...> wrote:
                  > Hung
                  >
                  > I don't think I said it was safer than anything, other than being
                  hooked in.
                  > Yes you must release the bar and then activate an eye level quick
                  release.

                  Brian,

                  So how is it safer than launching the kite while hooking in to the
                  chicken loop with a "working" QR system (e.g., Recon, Ocean Rodeo
                  punch out bar, pin release, QR on the chicken loop, etc.)?

                  Hung.
                • Stefano Rosso
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                    Hi Stefano

                    Please also read my answer to Hung.

                    == I did.

                    You are generally correct except that if you have to let go of the bar,
                    the Quick Release is right in front of your eyes at the bottom of the
                    depower-strap part of the UDS system, which then acts on one middle line
                    like most modern (production)leashes. There is then another QR if you
                    have to dump everything. You have to try it to understand it,

                    == I guess I do understand it then...

                    I was also very sceptical beforehand and I reiterate, it is not the
                    ultimate answer to all safety concerns, but I don't think Naish hyped it
                    as such.

                    == I think that the leash they developed with its improved ability to
                    swivel is the novelty on this bar. Everything else is "old" in that many
                    of us already had this type of functionality on their home made bars.
                    Its good that there is a production model available though...

                    == I apologize if I sound sceptic... I am just making fun of their 200%
                    depower which just sounds like hype of something other kite bars have
                    had for a long time... There is a naish mafia here in brazil that tends
                    to hype EVERYTHING naish kites launches, even before they have tried it
                    themselves... So we like to tease them a bit...
                  • mobilekiteshop.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                      The quickest and safest quick release system is the Ocean rodeo punch out
                      system. I would like to see more manufacturers go in this direction. When
                      you punch out you are left with both hands on the bar which means you still
                      have the decision to hold on to the bar or to release it. You do not have to
                      let go with one hand and feel around for a quick release which may take you
                      one crucial second longer than just punching out, the punch out is
                      immediate, your brain says im lofting or this gust is too much I wont be
                      able to hold it and as soon as your brain says it you are released with one
                      movement. I am sure it is the safest system out there and I am sure there is
                      a way that you clever people out there could self rig your own versions of
                      it.

                      Pog ma hon.
                      Steve
                      steve@... <mailto:steve@...>
                      Ph: 087-7993612
                    • Stefano Rosso
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                        your brain says im lofting or this gust is too much I wont be able to
                        hold it and as soon as your brain says it you are released with one
                        movement.

                        My experience in loftings has been that the brain always realizes that
                        you are being lofted when you are way way up... You cannot know how high
                        you will go until you are way way up there... And then your reaction is
                        normally to grab the bar for dear life !
                      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                          My experience so far is that if I hooked in, I would not be able to
                          unhook until 10'+ high up (the time it take to do something, e.g.,
                          pulling on some release, would make it even higher).

                          If I am unhooked (and not attached to the kite except for the "true"
                          safety leash), the bar simply ripped right out of my hand (2
                          occasions: one a few years ago with my wipika 3.5 in 35 - 40 knots -
                          Luke Stanek, the world buggy fastest man was there - and the other
                          case just recently with my AR5 11.5 in very steep wind gradient).
                          This "skill" may not be automatic to some as stefano has stated but it
                          can be learned.

                          In any case, being unhooked (and not attached to the kite except for
                          the "true" safety leash) when in doubt is desirable as after the
                          initial contact, the kite is fully disable and cannot cause further
                          damages (damage to the kitesurf or damage to the bystanders). Just
                          imaging an injured, unconcious 170 lbs kitesurfer get dragged over an
                          infant in the pinic area or the parking lot - kitesurfing will sure be
                          banned immediately and indefinitely.

                          Hung.

                          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Stefano Rosso" <stefano.rosso@a...>

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                            If I am unhooked (and not attached to the kite except for the "true"
                            safety leash), the bar simply ripped right out of my hand (2
                            occasions: one a few years ago with my wipika 3.5 in 35 - 40 knots -
                            Luke Stanek, the world buggy fastest man was there - and the other case
                            just recently with my AR5 11.5 in very steep wind gradient).
                            This "skill" may not be automatic to some as stefano has stated but it
                            can be learned.

                            == if the bar is getting ripped out of your hand then that's one thing.
                            If you are getting lofted in such a way that the bar doesn't get ripped
                            out of your hands then your first reaction is to try and control the
                            kite ... Then you suddenly realize you are way up...
                          • mobilekiteshop.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                              its all very well to say that you should be unhooked but the reality of the
                              situation is that most people wont unhook, I could be out riding and I see a
                              very dark cloud coming and I would be very aware of a possible large change
                              in the wind. So if for some reason it is not practical to come in or it is
                              safer to stay far away from the shore in case of possible lofting I will
                              ride with the kite as low as possible and when I tack I will turn the kite
                              at the bottom of the window as much as possible and not let it rise up. At
                              the same time I know if a huge gust comes in that in a split second I can be
                              free of the kite with this type of punch out release whereas with all other
                              forms of release that I know of I would have to go looking for some kind of
                              grab ball, loop, quick release somewhere, how fast can you find and pull
                              your quick release? if you get lofted how high does that extra time allow
                              you to get.

                              Pog ma hon
                              Steve
                              steve@... <mailto:steve@...>
                              Ph: 087-7993612

                            • hungvuatnetcomdotca
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                                The Ocean Rodeo definitely has an advantage in this situation.

                                However, people should at least unhooked (and not attached to the kite
                                except for the "true" safety leash) on land and near people/hard objects.

                                Snowboarding was banned at many resorts in the early days because of
                                comments like this from the skiers: "I don't mind snowboarders go out
                                and kill themselves but it bothers me to watch an injured snowboarder
                                hurt skiers".

                                So injure or kill yourself, but once you become unconcious, please
                                don't hurt or kill other people.

                                Hung.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                                  I agree with you and its great to say that Hung but realistically people
                                  wont do it, I suppose I am changing the subject and considering quicker ways
                                  to activate your quick release, I think that the delay caused by having to
                                  let go of your bar and reaching somewhere else to activate your release
                                  increases risk and there should be a better way, maybe the release could be
                                  unde your hand on the bar somehow, I am sure someone here could work it out?

                                  Steve
                                  steve@... <mailto:steve@...>
                                  The Ocean Rodeo definitely has an advantage in this situation.

                                  However, people should at least unhooked (and not attached to the kite
                                  except for the "true" safety leash) on land and near people/hard objects.

                                  Snowboarding was banned at many resorts in the early days because of
                                  comments like this from the skiers: "I don't mind snowboarders go out
                                  and kill themselves but it bothers me to watch an injured snowboarder
                                  hurt skiers".

                                  So injure or kill yourself, but once you become unconcious, please
                                  don't hurt or kill other people.

                                  Hung.

                                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "mobilekiteshop.com" <steve@m...> wrote:
                                  > its all very well to say that you should be unhooked but the reality
                                  of the
                                  > situation is that most people wont unhook, I could be out riding and
                                  I see a
                                  > very dark cloud coming and I would be very aware of a possible large
                                  change
                                  > in the wind. So if for some reason it is not practical to come in or
                                  it is
                                  > safer to stay far away from the shore in case of possible lofting I will
                                  > ride with the kite as low as possible and when I tack I will turn
                                  the kite
                                  > at the bottom of the window as much as possible and not let it rise
                                  up. At
                                  > the same time I know if a huge gust comes in that in a split second
                                  I can be
                                  > free of the kite with this type of punch out release whereas with
                                  all other
                                  > forms of release that I know of I would have to go looking for some
                                  kind of
                                  > grab ball, loop, quick release somewhere, how fast can you find and pull
                                  > your quick release? if you get lofted how high does that extra time
                                  allow
                                  > you to get.
                                  >
                                  > Pog ma hon
                                  > Steve
                                  > steve@m... <mailto:steve@m...>
                                  > Ph: 087-7993612
                                  >
                                  > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  http://www.KiteHIGH.com
                                  ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
                                  ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
                                  Em: support@...

                                • Jan Coffey
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 2, 2003
                                    A few thoughts:

                                    The Naish system is greate becouse you can use it on any kite.

                                    The new Naish system is simply a free bar, when the bar is unhooked,
                                    and a regular bar when it is hooked in. That means that going
                                    unhooked is not really being unhooked. It's simply trasfering to a
                                    free bar. I haven't used it, but one would think that if the intent
                                    were an unhooked railie, with the bar at arms leangth and the kite
                                    fully powered, with the naish system, you're not going to get this.

                                    The new naish system has no way of simply releasing the bar for full
                                    depower. (Sorry, but isn't %100 depower mean the kite has NO power?)

                                    At some point transfering the load to the front lines stops
                                    depowering the kite. On my North and old Naish kites you can get to
                                    this point with the bar still attached. I know this becouse I rigged
                                    free bar for a while and there is a point were it's depowered as
                                    much as it is going to without landing it, or releasing one side of
                                    the kite. I stoped riging free bar, becouse this point was well
                                    within the normal "throw" I used at that time.

                                    The swivil leash looks to me like it's still going to get tangled. I
                                    designed a bar with a swiveling leash the line covered in plastic
                                    and it still tangled and got in the way. What happens when you go
                                    for a spin, then end up letting go of the bar and regrabing the bar
                                    from the other side of the leash? You can get that leash wrapped
                                    around the bar. Then what? No reride will work if the bar is hung up
                                    at the rider. What about the leash getting wrapped around the hook?
                                    It looks to me like you could spin the bar and it would spin around
                                    the leash then you would have to manulay reach down and untwist the
                                    leash by making the swivil go around. What if you get in trouble
                                    right at that moment? Everyone who tried swivels knows that they
                                    don't always turn on their own.

                                    I know I'm on a Cab kick right now, but here me out. If you don't
                                    want a "drop the bar" kind of leash system the Recon works greate.
                                    See my erlier post. The kite doesn't reride, spin around slam into
                                    the shore etc. It folds up and depowers by at least %98 if not more
                                    (remember %100 means NO power at all).

                                    If you don't want to launch hooked or you like being able to just
                                    drop the bar the Recon will do this as well. The system works
                                    becouse when the load is fully transfered to the back lines the kite
                                    will fold up. If you simply attach a line to both back lines behind
                                    the rings, then letting go of the bar will engage the Recon system
                                    becouse all of the load will be on the back lines. The kite will
                                    softly glide down directly down wind. Not spin and violently drag
                                    you for another 100 meters, but disingage, and fully depower.

                                    And to top it off, you get a bit of help relaunching to boot.

                                    Hay I'm certainly no pro, I pay what everyone else does for my gear.
                                    I don't have anything at all to do with any Kite company. That's why
                                    I feel free to speak my mind and tell it the way I see it. Still
                                    these are just my opinions. Opinions are like butts, everyones got
                                    one.
                                  • Suntrax
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 3, 2003
                                      > Can you pull on the button to release the safety leash from the strap
                                      > first (to make it a traditional safety leash) before launching the
                                      > kite unhooked
                                      >and then latter on reconnect it while in the water?

                                      No, not practical

                                      Am finished with this subject unless Hung, you actualy try the UDS with your
                                      own 2 hands and THEN comment, I get enough keyboard theorists in my store
                                      every day :-)

                                      Out

                                      Brian

                                    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 3, 2003
                                        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Suntrax" <brian@s...> wrote:
                                        > > Can you pull on the button to release the safety leash from the strap
                                        > > first (to make it a traditional safety leash) before launching the
                                        > > kite unhooked
                                        > >and then latter on reconnect it while in the water?
                                        >
                                        > No, not practical

                                        Thanks. If I cannot launch the kite unhooked (truly unhooked not
                                        "fake" unhooked) then please don't invite me to try it as it may
                                        injure or kill me.

                                        I will give Recon a try as I think I can launch it unhooked with a
                                        traditional wrist safety leash and then later on locked into the
                                        chicken loop and transfer (tie) the wrist safety leash to the bar
                                        while in deep water.

                                        Hung.