Re: how to switch sides without getting lofted?

  • ringokiter
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
      Thanks Rick,

      I guess what I hear is, it's better to be unhooked for sure because
      you can always let go, but on the other hand, unhooking means not
      being as depowered as by using the chicken loop. That's a bit of a
      tuff one. I think next time I'll unhook and take it over zenith
      slow. If I do get lofted, I'll just let go.

      David

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "flkitesurfer" <flkitesurfer@h...>
      wrote:
      > It is interesting that the wind sometimes gusts at just the wrong
      > time. Ironic but dangerous as well.
      >
      > A couple of points to think about. Anytime you are on or near land
      > with your kite flying, you are at risk of being dragged or lofted.
      > This applies even if your kite is low. The solution is to land your
      > kite even before you step on land but that is up to individual
      > choice. Some people know this and do it anyway, as long as they are
      > informed so be it and good luck.
      >
      > You often can walk with your kite over the water depowered using
      the
      > trim strap and chicken loop. If the wind is above a certain speed
      > for a given kite size or near onshore, this doesn't necessarily
      > apply.
      >
      > If you must walk up the beach with your kite facing inland, make
      > sure it is as fully depowered as conditions will permit and still
      > fly in stable fashion. Keep it low to the ground and be ready to
      > release the kite to your leash if you have to. Understand and
      > accept that under some circumstances you MAY NOT BE ABLE TO and off
      > downwind you go to impact and ??? When it comes time to fly the
      > kite slowly and carefully overhead to place it over the water
      again,
      > checkout the winds first, try to do this unhooked (trimming your
      > kite for max depower for stable flight first), and ease it over.
      If