Re: how to switch sides without getting lofted?

  • flkitesurfer
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
      It is interesting that the wind sometimes gusts at just the wrong
      time. Ironic but dangerous as well.

      A couple of points to think about. Anytime you are on or near land
      with your kite flying, you are at risk of being dragged or lofted.
      This applies even if your kite is low. The solution is to land your
      kite even before you step on land but that is up to individual
      choice. Some people know this and do it anyway, as long as they are
      informed so be it and good luck.

      You often can walk with your kite over the water depowered using the
      trim strap and chicken loop. If the wind is above a certain speed
      for a given kite size or near onshore, this doesn't necessarily
      apply.

      If you must walk up the beach with your kite facing inland, make
      sure it is as fully depowered as conditions will permit and still
      fly in stable fashion. Keep it low to the ground and be ready to
      release the kite to your leash if you have to. Understand and
      accept that under some circumstances you MAY NOT BE ABLE TO and off
      downwind you go to impact and ??? When it comes time to fly the
      kite slowly and carefully overhead to place it over the water again,
      checkout the winds first, try to do this unhooked (trimming your
      kite for max depower for stable flight first), and ease it over. If
      the winds are too strong for this, make sure there is no one around
      for you to be lofted or dragged into and take your chances. As your
      experience and that of other riders that have been injured in doing
      this point out, you won't always succeed.

      Some practices are more hazardous than others. We just touched on
      some of them.

      Good luck,

      FKA, Inc.

      transcribed by:
      Rick Iossi

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ringokiter" <davidtoushek@h...>
      wrote:
      > Ok, here's the scenario: A couple weeks back, I was walking my
      kite
      > back up the beach. Wind was onshore on a 45 degree angle, so I
      was
      > walking up with my kite on the beach side of the window about 4
      > meteres from the ground. After walking back up and getting ready
      > head into the water, I had to switch over to the other side of the
      > window because someone else was walking their kite up and mine was
      in
      > the way. I began to switch sides and will going through zenith I
      got
      > lifted up and thrown 20 feet down the beach. I was a little
      shaken,
      > but otherwise ok.
      >
      > My question is how do I avoid this? I'm thinking I should just go
      > slower through zenith next time if I have to switch.
      >
      > David
    • ringokiter
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
        Thanks Rick,

        I guess what I hear is, it's better to be unhooked for sure because
        you can always let go, but on the other hand, unhooking means not
        being as depowered as by using the chicken loop. That's a bit of a
        tuff one. I think next time I'll unhook and take it over zenith
        slow. If I do get lofted, I'll just let go.

        David

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "flkitesurfer" <flkitesurfer@h...>