how to switch sides without getting lofted?

  • ringokiter
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
      Ok, here's the scenario: A couple weeks back, I was walking my kite
      back up the beach. Wind was onshore on a 45 degree angle, so I was
      walking up with my kite on the beach side of the window about 4
      meteres from the ground. After walking back up and getting ready to
      head into the water, I had to switch over to the other side of the
      window because someone else was walking their kite up and mine was in
      the way. I began to switch sides and will going through zenith I got
      lifted up and thrown 20 feet down the beach. I was a little shaken,
      but otherwise ok.

      My question is how do I avoid this? I'm thinking I should just go
      slower through zenith next time if I have to switch.

      David
    • flkitesurfer
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
        It is interesting that the wind sometimes gusts at just the wrong
        time. Ironic but dangerous as well.

        A couple of points to think about. Anytime you are on or near land
        with your kite flying, you are at risk of being dragged or lofted.
        This applies even if your kite is low. The solution is to land your
        kite even before you step on land but that is up to individual
        choice. Some people know this and do it anyway, as long as they are
        informed so be it and good luck.

        You often can walk with your kite over the water depowered using the
        trim strap and chicken loop. If the wind is above a certain speed
        for a given kite size or near onshore, this doesn't necessarily
        apply.

        If you must walk up the beach with your kite facing inland, make
        sure it is as fully depowered as conditions will permit and still
        fly in stable fashion. Keep it low to the ground and be ready to
        release the kite to your leash if you have to. Understand and
        accept that under some circumstances you MAY NOT BE ABLE TO and off
        downwind you go to impact and ??? When it comes time to fly the
        kite slowly and carefully overhead to place it over the water again,
        checkout the winds first, try to do this unhooked (trimming your
        kite for max depower for stable flight first), and ease it over. If
        the winds are too strong for this, make sure there is no one around
        for you to be lofted or dragged into and take your chances. As your
        experience and that of other riders that have been injured in doing
        this point out, you won't always succeed.

        Some practices are more hazardous than others. We just touched on
        some of them.

        Good luck,

        FKA, Inc.

        transcribed by:
        Rick Iossi

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ringokiter" <davidtoushek@h...>
        wrote:
        > Ok, here's the scenario: A couple weeks back, I was walking my
        kite
        > back up the beach. Wind was onshore on a 45 degree angle, so I
        was
        > walking up with my kite on the beach side of the window about 4
        > meteres from the ground. After walking back up and getting ready
        > head into the water, I had to switch over to the other side of the
        > window because someone else was walking their kite up and mine was
        in
        > the way. I began to switch sides and will going through zenith I
        got
        > lifted up and thrown 20 feet down the beach. I was a little
        shaken,
        > but otherwise ok.
        >
        > My question is how do I avoid this? I'm thinking I should just go
        > slower through zenith next time if I have to switch.
        >
        > David
      • ringokiter
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
          Thanks Rick,

          I guess what I hear is, it's better to be unhooked for sure because
          you can always let go, but on the other hand, unhooking means not
          being as depowered as by using the chicken loop. That's a bit of a
          tuff one. I think next time I'll unhook and take it over zenith
          slow. If I do get lofted, I'll just let go.

          David

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "flkitesurfer" <flkitesurfer@h...>