[ksurf] Kite Prangs!! and a little advice!

  • Neil Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 1998
      Having broken a leg while kite-flying 7 years ago I sympathise with
      Greg!! If you are going to mess around a bit while you're not actually
      kite-surfing please heed the following advice!!

      NEVER jump on grass or any hard surface, sand is OK if you are careful
      and have plenty of room. Try and land on your feet and bottom!! Keep
      your weight BACK and feet forwards. You 'could' twist an ankle but, hey,
      you could do that crossing the road!

      NEVER tie yourself to a solid object and launch a large kite. People
      have been KILLED doing this! I have a friend who was in traction for
      months and has lost the complete use of his ankle at age 25. That's
      pretty tough on a piano-teacher!

      NEVER use a harness (on dry land at least) without a deadman release.
      People have been KILLED doing this too! If you use hand grips or simple
      padded wrist straps you can easily let go. Being dragged on the beach is
      quite safe as long as you are in control! Don't take unnecessary risks.

      The current record (maybe unofficial) for kite-jumping in France is 87m
      along a beach!!!! Just imagine what you can do off the face of a wave!!!

      Here's to a SAFE adrenalin rush!!

      Neil Taylor