Re: [ksurf] LIGHTWIND KIT

  • georgeiw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2003
      for the lightest wind you need a big board and a big kite.
      I went on Monday in about 7 to 9 mph with a 15.5 foil with a home made board
      that is 6' 3" long and 24.5" wide. It is only 3/8" thick, actually 9mm okume
      marine plywood with one coat of resin, no cloth. I even managed to go upwind
      for a while. It was touch and go until I got the momentum going. I weigh 230
      lbs. In metric the board is about 190 x 60. Floatation might have helped a
      little but it is PLANNING AREA that matters. As the wind picks up I drop to a
      16 m inflatable or a 12 meter and a shorter board but it I can also depower
      the foil kite so that it can work up to 20.

      Learning in light wind is a very safe thing to do for everyone but it is
      particularly a good idea for the young(under 15) or the more mature(like me, over
      40).
      I have a lot of foils and inflatables but I prefer the foils in the lightest
      winds and in the stongest winds.
      Put two up side by side and you will find that the lighter foils can stay up
      in the air when the large inflatables fall out of the sky.

      Lets do a thread on light wind kiting again.

      Let me start with launching in the lightest winds:
      To launch in the lightest winds your best shot is the first shot. For foils
      you have to pre-inflate in light winds by running, bridle flying or holding it
      up in the wind. You can pre-inflate with a gass powered leaf blower. There
      is often good wind at 50 or 100 feet when there is very little at the surface.
      If you can get the kite up there it can work. So the best chance is to
      launch is to start on one side of straight down wind and throw the kite up at an
      angle and sideways so that it moves across dead down wind with momentum. You
      can then saw it back and forth across the sky and get it up to good wind.

      Hung Vu, talk about stalling on the sides, relaunching, jumping for you
      featherweights, keeping the kite moving and all the other things that we can all
      learn in light wind that help in windier conditions.
      Be skunk-free, get a big kite and a big board and stop getting shut-out after
      a long drive to the beach.

      George
      P.S. there is a 21 meter foil on the way. That is 1 meter short of a
      paraglider.